PWR radiator? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on PWR radiator? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wanted to jump in here - since I was just told by a customer - that there were some ...

The Real Man behind the radiator.

I wanted to jump in here - since I was just told by a customer - that there were some people who were skeptical about the Godspeed/Speedmonkee radiator.

So, here's my .02

The differences between the PWR and the AWR - which is what we really are comparing here. Not Speedmonkee/Godspeed:
    AWR stands for Anthony Woodford Racing - those of you who are familiar with Mazdaspeed -may know Tony's name - as well as the current Touring car series (Mazda Proteges' he's got out there))

The big guys like Fluidyne have copied several of Tony's previous designs on the RX7. I told him there was a way to get back at them - the WRX and make it a better design and cheaper.

Bottom line, AWR believes in the old craftsmanship of hand building rads with flawless welds and top notch tanks and race level cores - which is why he's using Ron Davis Cores. (Ron Davis is a well known name on NASCAR and other race cars)

It costs us more to do this. We are afterall in the US and hey man, labour is more expensive here than in Austrailia - so, maybe that little extra bit of expense to do it here - is worth it. We think so. We have the ability to manage quality of products and supplies a lot easier then sending elsewhere to be made.

Attention to details like the welds is a bonus (IMHO), it shows the builder really cares about his art. This radiator is not built on an assembly line nor is it built by $7/hr paid labourers. Its done by the master himself. The details of the welds are just an icing on the cake. The real functionality of the radiator is based on its ability to cool and move water and air through it. The Radiator Cores' efficiency is the reason AWR is offering its radiators to our market. ( I've used them on the Flyin Miata Turbo'd Track cars and RX7's Turbos and they've held up without any issues on the summer tracks here in CA - Button willow, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca.) Its why I thought i would bring a worthy competitor to this market.

When I sat with Tony is designing our radiator, the main topic was efficiency and the ability to make a world class rad worthy of any type of race the car could be subjected to. It had to be flawless and it had to be a drop in design - above and beyond its beautiful hand made welding. Each of our radiators is built in a small shop here in San Diego - each one inspected by Tony & myself before its packaged and sent out the door.

We just want to offer an alternative to the big names. This radiator is for people who like the details to true craftsmanship and want the added confidence that what they are buying has the attention, personal detail, and world class race cores - only that can be done with a small operation like ours.

Jeremy

SpeedMonkee Performance LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On that note Jeremy, what is your warrantee/guarantee policy for this product? It sounds like a great product, but what support is out there for the customer if the unexpected happens? this in my mind is a huge selling point, and a big part of my decision making....thanks!

~Tim

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Jeremy is right on, this is a quality radiator, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Ron Davis (cores) and AWR are both renowned in the racing world. Good product for a good price.

More ohs and ahs here:

AWR/Ron Davis radiator- wow!

Big Sky

warranty

Its a standard one year warranty against defects and materials.

Tony and I are pretty open minded though. Its engineered to last if taken care of.

Jeremy

Nice sales pitch. Ya know what's also the difference between a handmade and machine made radiator? IMO it's the consistancy(margin of error). Looks to me like bigskys radiator bends up in the middle(on top), and has some abnormal gaps between many of the fins. Not only that, but the welds do NOT look any better then on the pwr radiator(from what I can see). It's a big radiator, and I'm sure it works fine, but I don't see the real difference(other then the nice sales pitch).....<burp>

I will 2nd that. I have pwr and its wonderous

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by hippy78
    Nice sales pitch. Ya know what's also the difference between a handmade and machine made radiator? IMO it's the consistancy(margin of error). Looks to me like bigskys radiator bends up in the middle(on top), and has some abnormal gaps between many of the fins. Not only that, but the welds do NOT look any better then on the pwr radiator(from what I can see). It's a big radiator, and I'm sure it works fine, but I don't see the real difference(other then the nice sales pitch).....<burp>
    I've never seen a PWR radiator and make no comparisons to it- might be a great piece- I don't know. I can tell you the AWR is a wonderful piece that is put together beautifully- there is no bend in the middle. Never noticed any unusual gaps in the fins (except where I mistakenly got my big mitts on a few ).

Big Sky

Differences?

Not meant to be a sales pitch. Its just our story. Sorry if it sounded like one.

Bottom line: Both are race proven manufacturers. Both have significant number of people who use them. Both have very satisfied customers.

As far as which is better - you can't prove it unless you have a lab and specific conditions to test them exactly. This costs $$$ to do. There a lot of factors to consider if really doing a proper comparison.

So there really can't be a pissing match here - unless someone is going to offer their tests on a scientific basis. All this bashing is just BS .

Here's why:

The Btu controversy

Each radiator can be made to capture a select mode of operation, from street use with A/C, to full race applications. Saying that the Btu rating of a radiator is better than another doesn’t reflect the entire range of uses for that radiator. One design will give up more Btu’s with lower airflow, but may have less overall heat removal capacity given the large airflow at speed, due to the low fin count or lesser design. Another may have a higher maximum rating but may not flow as well at lower speeds. Comparing Btu ratings does not capture the intended use at all the possible ranges of applications, nor does it capture the varying needs for configuration changes on vehicles like air dams, hood vents, water pumps, etc. Radiator test rig comparisons would have to vary airflow, water flow, RPMS, horsepower, ambient temperature and humidity and vehicle configuration over the entire range and combination of possible values in order to say which radiator is “better”. Also, having a higher Btu rating in excess of the needs of the vehicle serves no purpose. Empirical testing of Ron Davis Racing Products radiators has consistently proven them on the track and street for years as durable, efficient and beautiful units for thousands of customers over the broadest range of applications imaginable.

Doug Schulz
    General Manager
    Ron Davis Racing Products

The buyers can decide if they want the AWR hand done weld details and Ron Davis Cores and attention to their rads or they can buy the PWR based on price and market familiarity/reputation. Either way, both radiators do their jobs.

Jeremy

It's nothin against your radiator. It's just amazing to me how a post which started out being a person asking for opinions on an mrt or pwr radiator became a sales pitch for gods new product......

WRX Aftermarket Radiators

I am an Australian and I have read this post and would just like to add PWR is Paul Weel Racing. He supplies most of the radiators for the V8 Supercar Series in Australia and is also one of the competitors himself. I have a 40mm cored PWR Radiator in my 02 STi which is modified getting 268 Hp @ tw. I have noticed the needle on the temp guage is just a tad cooler even in ambient temperatures over 100*. The stock STi radiator core is 27mm thick so i figure the PWR core is 25% bigger. PWR also make a 57mm thick core for the WRX which they advise is mostly suitable for track racing.
    Hope this helps.

well i ordered my PWR radiator yesterday should have it mid next week.......
    03 Sonic Yellow WRX
    teamxxxracing

A+ Detail

That PWR radiator looks sick
    Last edited by keystah; 03-29-2006 at 05:15 PM.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234