Stock WRX turbo is not a 13G it is a 13T - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock WRX turbo is not a 13G it is a 13T within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well put! i got a vf 30 when back in 02, i was under the impression that it was gonna ...

well put! i got a vf 30 when back in 02, i was under the impression that it was gonna be a decent upgrade and it was far from it. yeah i did pick up some power but an extra 30 or so at the wheels was not worth the $1300 that they were going for at the time, if you could even find one. i had much more fun w/ the stock turbo tuned to the max and if I could do it over i would have jumped right onto a big turbo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

SO does this mean I should get an 18g instead of a vf34?
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Not necessarilly, but you ought to look into the 16G certainly. Those are nice turbos.

Also, I repeat a previously posed lame question (by me again): Does anyone know of a 14B fitment for our cars? That'd yield just a bit over our current theoretical, somewhere in the low 400 CFM (I think). 1G DSMs had the TDO5-14b and I, for one, liked it.

Anyone?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The flange on the turbine housing would not match I believe. It would be too much work for little gains.
    '02 PSM Wrx

Good info Larry.

So how would you compare this "new" information to a VF35? I am looking "very" closely at one.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

details

So how would you compare this "new" information to a VF35? I am looking "very" closely at one.
    Well basically we don't have any "information" only guesses at the moment.

We know the stock turbo flows slightly more than was widely thought, up from the 360 CFM of the 13G to some where near or at 400 CFM range. That means all the small IHI turbo's are pretty much the same as the stock.

I'm not sure how the VF35 ranks with the VF30 and 34, but they are both useful improvements over the stock at about 460 CFM.

The flange on the turbine housing would not match I believe. It would be too much work for little gains.
    I have a 16G (subaru pattern housing) and like it, and it is rated at about 505 CFM more or less. It should be good for 12's in the 1/4.

The 14b also flows in the neighborhood of 500 cfm.

Then you move into the large turbos like the 20G and the GT30's etc.

Larry
    Last edited by hotrod; 01-19-2005 at 04:08 AM.
    13.239@102.85 -- 5800 ft altitude
    on the stock TD04L-13T turbo

Also, a MHI listing of stock turbos seems to agree that the stock WRX turbo is in fact a TD04L-13T-6. http://www.melett.com/pdfs/MHI/Mhi%20TD04.pdf (page 4)

This PDF sets the 13G dimensions as -

Inducer - 41.50mm
    exducer - 56.00mm
    tip width - 5.00mm
    hub length - 22.0mm
    number of blades - 12

And the 13T dimensions -

inducer - 40.64mm
    exducer - 56.01mm
    tip width - 4.98mm
    Hub length - 26.2mm
    number of blades - 12
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod
    I have a 16G (subaru pattern housing) and like it, and it is rated at about 505 CFM more or less. It should be good for 12's in the 1/4.

The 14b also flows in the neighborhood of 500 cfm.

Then you move into the large turbos like the 20G and the GT30's etc.

Larry
    Wow, the 14b actually flows that much? I know that 1g dsm's have gone 12's on it but I didnt realized it was capable of 500cfm's. So what are the benefits of getting a 16g over a 14b? If it doesnt flow any more than the 14b and people are basically giving them away, it seems like a moot point.
    '02 PSM Wrx

Look for your self

Take a look yourself, the 14B is a little less capable than the 16G, falling just around the low to mid 400 CFM range where the 16G's run in the mid to high 400's for practical max flow and reach low 500's. if you go to choke flow.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm
    http://www.stealth316.com/images/td05-14b-raw.gif

Larry
    Last edited by hotrod; 01-19-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Great info Larry!
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Even if it is a 13T with more capable airflow, I've found that trying to get that power out of the turbo results in a quick death. The stock turbo doesn't like to push enough air to match those numbers for very long before you spun out an oil seal. It might be capable of it, just like a VF22 could probably squeeze out 23 PSI on a 2L motor but it just aint worth it in terms of turbo reliability.

long life big power

Exactly, capable and desirable are probably not going to match up too well.
    When I pulled mine down to measure it, it looks like it has a fair amount of shaft play, so probably would not have survived long as hard as I was flogging it.

Used day to day near the stock boost settings with an occasionaly high boost period would probably work okay. I flogged the daylights out of mine for the better part of 38,000 miles but it was probably not going to put up with that for much longer.

Larry

I guess that explains some of the 12.7 timeslips on stock turbo I keep seeing around these days

It'd be interesting to do a stock for stock comparison of the vf35 versus the stock turbo, totally stock cars, stock boost levels, programming. Fuel mods would be amust for any major gains, but it would seem like the vf35 would be a cooler running turbo on a stock car since it's got the larger compressor but the relatively small turbine.

What kind of setup are you running now Larry?
    By the way, I'm the guy that sold you a set of stock struts/springs about a year ago.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

i don't know if you guys know but Volvos have TD turbos too
    my friend pulled his off of Volvo 940 Turbo and it was etiher TD033 or TD05 i don't remember now
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.