Crucial Racing Downpipe and Up Pipe (PICS)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Crucial Racing Downpipe and Up Pipe (PICS) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I ordered a Crucial Racing down pipe and Up pipe, I just received the downpipe, and the up pipe ...

Crucial Racing Downpipe and Up Pipe (PICS)

So I ordered a Crucial Racing down pipe and Up pipe, I just received the downpipe, and the up pipe comes in this thursday. But anyhow here are the pictures of the downpipe.

All I have to say is WOW, the flanges are smoother than a clean baby's bottom. The ceramic coating is absolutely gorgeous. Construction is absolutely gorgeous, welding is above par (though I've seen better) but over all, from the way I'm looking at things, this is one awesome piece, I am a big fan of the divorced wastegate design, and I like the "shorty" style I plan on doing Auto-X so I need that 3rd cat, I'll probably get a High Flow 3rd cat, but once the Up pipe comes in, I'll post those too, and I'll write an review on installation and performance.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

looks good. put that sucker in. how much were each piece?
    02 WRX - MODS
    Bugeye Mafia > *

The Up Pipe was 249 and the Down Pipe was 329. Yeah, I'll admit they were a bit pricey, but I wanted to save for the parts that I wanted, and not settle for anything less. I will throw these in ASAP, but I must say, just from even looking at the piece, its just wow. Sometimes you hold something, look at it, examine it, and you know it's a quality piece.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

I want ...I want... I need ... I need....Wow... 3 more months stage 2 !!! .
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

What's a good company that sells a good High Flow 3rd cat for a good price. I need to keep a 3rd cat, but the stromung one is rather pricey. THanks.

You'll love the UP. It's a nice piece. Good spool too once you put it on

Registered
    How do you like the turbo outlet gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Racing
    How do you like the turbo outlet gasket?
    The turbo outlet gasket is one nice piece of copper. GOnna install everything Friday

Crucial-

whats the difference between you and the ceramic coated stromung DWG downpipe? they look really really similar. both quality peices for sure though
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Registered
    Ours is made of different materials, is ceramic coated, and the wastegate tube is longer.

EDIT: Ours is coated both inside and outside, as well. It makes a big difference in performance.
    Last edited by Crucial Racing; 01-15-2005 at 08:56 AM.

you mentioned something about a 3rd cat, at daddy's
    they have that stromung you talked about and the daddys 3ce. it takes away teh 3rd cat but it looks like its a cat. not sure if you are going for that, jsut a suggestion.
    Meow listen here!

Install Done: PRODUCT REVIEW!

Ok, it took forever to get the up pipe and down pipe on, approximately 12 hours, we encountered numerous problems as a result of my car being driven so frequently and it being an 02. (Rusted bolts, screws, etc) but we managed to get both up pipe and down pipe on, we used the Crucial Racing up and down pipe, with their copper gaskets, along wiht Copper Spray a gasket. We are LEAK FREE (Thank goodness) and I must tell you, these two pieces are not to be taken lightly:

Up pipe: Spool is insane, It doesn't have an EGT probe to get in the way, nor a flex joint, plus its ceramic coated, all which aid in maximizing airflow. People say gains are almost unnoticable. I beg to differ. I hit peak spool much faster, response is great, and the throttle doesn't feel choked by the presence of a catalytic converter in the pipe. Best Up pipe I've ever driven on a WRX so far. (I've so far tested, TXS, ERZ, and Helix) Not to mention being able to hear the turbo spool from outside the car.

Down pipe: I chose to go with this "dump" style downpipe because I wanted to keep the 3rd cat in there for Auto-X Competition purposes, I am expecting a power loss due to that, however with a high flow 3rd cat that will change shortly. Although The Downpipe is rather new to Crucial Racing's arsenal, it is by no means an under evolved or lesser downpipe. I wanted to go with divorced style instead of Bellmouth to help keep the exhaust gas pressure levels a little bit higher than that of a bellmouth. (adjusting the ratio's between intake and exhaust pressure yields different types of torque bands) and that is exactly what I got. I worked on my car for 12 hours mostly under the car so my neck is sore, after I drove it i made the mistake of not resting my head on the headrest. The resulting low end torque made me pay dearly, now its even more sore.

My overall impression is, the power gain is noticable, even more amazing the torque gains are more significant in gain than the power. No downpipe I've driven on (Helix, ERZ, not even VISHNU!) has given me performance feedback like this, not to mention that these pieces are ceramic coated to the highest quality i've seen yet, (engine temps are WAY down) I'm no promoter for Crucial Racing, I've had my eye on their products due to some excellent feedback from other customers. THey may be pricey comapred to helix or ERZ, but I waited for these parts and I am in no way disappointed. You get what you pay for. End of story, don't need to dare you to find better DP's and UP's, I challenge you to do so. I haven't been this happy about my car in a while so bear with me. Now next thing is high flow 3rd cat and reflash. and I'm set.

Ethereal Out.

By the way, REX minus 2 cats with Greddy Evo 2 sounds BEASTLY.
    Last edited by EtherealWRX; 01-15-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Registered
    Wow, you have no idea how happy we are to have such a satified customer! It looks like we're doing something right. We've put so much effort into these two products make them produce significant power gains, you wouldn't believe it.

Please go back and retorque the uppipe to manifold joint in short order so it remains leak free and you remain pleased with Crucial. Once that copper gasket is properly seated, you'll never have a leak.

Thanks for the great review!

up pipe

Good to hear that review!

My Crucial Racing up pipe arrived today, and I have to concur its a beautiful piece.
    Very nicely done Misterx !!

Now if the delivery people will deliver the new Crucial Racing down pipe I'll be a happy camper.

Just a couple more pieces needed for this years spring mod fest and performance upgrade.

Larry
    13.239@102.85 -- 5800 ft altitude
    on the stock TD04L-13T turbo

Good to hear. I just got back from a drive. My neck is sore from the torque. aye...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast