Looking for help with STi Injector install and Perrin Fuel Rail Install.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking for help with STi Injector install and Perrin Fuel Rail Install. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for help with STi Injector install and Perrin Fuel Rail Install. I have been searching for the fuel rail ...

I have been searching for the fuel rail install but unable to locate anything proper. I think I understand the STi injector install but if anyone has any tips on this and the perrin fuel rails it would be much appreciated.

I found some directions on the injector install from turboxs's website, but should the injector 0-rings be wetted down with gas to get a good seal? or can they just be seated in dry?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm facing the same dilemna you are. I've got a fuel system and have concerns about installing it too.

From my understanding, the O rings are lubricated with a special lubricant but most people use, don't bend over when you do this job, Vaseline.

If you seat them dry, the O rings are nicked and they leak exposing you to the potential of fire in your engine bay. Which sucks. A lot.

You seem to be an adventurous soul. Have you done much shop work in the past?

misterx

bump.

I sometimes wish some of the more experienced installers would pay more attention to the"help me posts".

I seldom receive responses to such queries while the OT stuff is hammered with posts.

misterx

Originally posted by MisterX
    I'm facing the same dilemna you are. I've got a fuel system and have concerns about installing it too.

From my understanding, the O rings are lubricated with a special lubricant but most people use, don't bend over when you do this job, Vaseline.

If you seat them dry, the O rings are nicked and they leak exposing you to the potential of fire in your engine bay. Which sucks. A lot.

You seem to be an adventurous soul. Have you done much shop work in the past?

misterx
    Thanks for posting.
    I have done most of the work on my car myself. Just installed the M2 suspension kit with the kyb struts/m2 springs. Also did the uppipe/exhaust and some other bolt ons, but the fuel system seems to be alot more dangerous than anything else I have done. So I want to make sure I dont skip any steps to it. So far I have a fire extinguisher added to my tools for this job ... But if this is over my head then I will pay someone to install it for me.

My plans include a professinal install, too. But my statement about a lack of support is still valid.

misterx

God
    Injectors are easy. I have done a few. It's an hour job at most. Just a lot of bolts to get the rails out but one you do that it's cake. Keep in mind I use stock rails. I'm not in the opinion that the rails should be changed unless perhaps you're going for 600+ HP or something. I can make over 400 Hp on pump gas using the stock rails just fine.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

I'm not replacing the rails - just the injectors and th fuel pump. So, what goes into it? What are the steps that make it easier?

I've read the Turboxs directions and they say the job takes a few hours. Can someone who has no experience doing the exchange do the job? What instruction can you offer?

misterx

I'm doing mine tomorrow - I'll let you know how I go with the Turbo XS distractions. ;-)

Andrew

I've never done injectors on a Scooby - but I've thrown in many different sets of injectors in hot-rodded/supercharged 5.0's in the past and I've always had good luck using the ol' Vaseline or assembly lube trick. Anything that can keep them from getting damaged during installation is a good thing...

Aloha,
    Richard...

Originally posted by God
    Injectors are easy. I have done a few. It's an hour job at most. Just a lot of bolts to get the rails out but one you do that it's cake. Keep in mind I use stock rails. I'm not in the opinion that the rails should be changed unless perhaps you're going for 600+ HP or something. I can make over 400 Hp on pump gas using the stock rails just fine.
    After what God said and that is basically what I have heard from a few people I am probably just going to install the injectors with bigger fuel pump and leave it at that.

God - Did you keep the stock FPR?

Thanks

WRX-hellfire wrote:
    Good question.

misterx

God
    Originally posted by WRX-Hellfire

After what God said and that is basically what I have heard from a few people I am probably just going to install the injectors with bigger fuel pump and leave it at that.

Absolutely. I don't like to play with fuel pressure regulators. I prefer to tune with injector pulsewidth to achieve desired fuel curves. MUCH more accurate.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    I'm doing mine tomorrow - I'll let you know how I go with the Turbo XS distractions. ;-)

Andrew
    How did the install go? Did you use any lube on the injectors when you put them in? The turboxs directions do not mention anything of lube.

bump.

Tell us about your install please Andrew.

misterx

Well - it went OK.

Got them in and I used a generic silicone lube that my mate had hanging around- just a smear. But I would not have described the install as easy. Sure the 94 degree still air in the garage was a contributor, but getting the covers off the fuel rails was the hard bit. You just have to keep taking stuff off (electrical connectors, oils hoses etc - make sure you remember where it all goes) until you can get to all the bolts and then a little Harry Houdini action to get the gurads out of there to allow you to get to the rails.

The three bolts on the rails are easy (make sure for all of this you have extensions and wobble attachments for your sockets!)

Pull up on the rail andthe injectors will come with them, then push the injectors down and clear of the rail. Pop the new injectors into the RAIL first, then align the rail and the injectors with the head.

The first fuel rail bolt to put back in is the one on the front of the engine, then the one closest to the firewall, then the middle - before torquing them down - check that the injectors have aligned properly in their holes.

Then the guards in reverse and make sure you have connected everything back up.

You definitely want the intercooler off to do this and if you still have the stock airbox - remove it (only 2 bolts and so much more access).

I think if I had to do it again - it would take a lot less time, but first time out it took me ages and plenty of cursing. The bolts on the guards are not easy to see - a lot of feeling around.

But Stage 4 is like heaven on a stick!! So I can't complain!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast