STI Hood Scoop vs. WRX Hood Scoop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI Hood Scoop vs. WRX Hood Scoop within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have an 05 WRX, looking to do a TXS UTEC stage 2 soon and wanted to know if there would ...

STI Hood Scoop vs. WRX Hood Scoop

Have an 05 WRX, looking to do a TXS UTEC stage 2 soon and wanted to know if there would be any advantage or disadvantage of using the bigger scoop with the stock intercooler?

Thanks.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There may be a very slight advantage, but not anywhere close to enough to warrant the cost. Most of us got them because the bigger scoop looks cooler.

how much is it?

I've read that along with the STi TMIC splitter, the post-intercooler temps are significantly lower than stock. Search around on wrxfanatics.com.

I think on the 05' cars the hood scoop is the same as the STI. I was at the dealer yesterday and they look the same to me? The intercooler is larger but has more boost drop. Which means higher turbine speeds to achieve same boost and more lag. The STI intercooler is not more efficient it's just bigger?

the '05 WRX scoop is smaller than the STi.

here is a STi scoop (gotta love P-shop LOL) and a WRX scoop
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 02-28-2006 at 06:31 PM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

the sti scoop with the stock wrx splitter will just flow more air....if you get the STI TMIC and just get the scoop and no splitter you will flow less air and the seal on the intercooler will be incorrect...you must use the proper splitter with the specific intercooler in order to maintain the proper seal and airflow into the intercooler
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I have seen the light, or the scoop as the case may be. I think you have missed your true calling in life...lol....lol..

the larger scoop does not lower temps at speed per se.

its primary action is to increase the rate at which ic temps fall after being stopped (and subsequently heatsoaking) and resuming forward motion.

once the "cooling off" time has passed, the scoops are effectively equal.

however, some have said that the taller scoop DOES do a better job of catching air at high forward speeds (115+ mph), but that has been unproven so far, at least with any hard charge temp data.

hth
    ken

If the bigger scoop can't lower more ic temp. Why sti have bigger scoop? Only because of looking better??

bigger=better!!
    O5 Aspen White STI + AP stage II !!!
    02 Rally Blue WRX sold !!

STi EVO

I think what they are trying to say is that the STI's scoop works with it's larger intercooler and that it would not benefit the WRX as you are not changing the intercooler just the means in which it is cooled?

You guys have it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by qoncept
    I've read that along with the STi TMIC splitter, the post-intercooler temps are significantly lower than stock. Search around on wrxfanatics.com.
    Sure, that forum sucks, but.. well, just take a look.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have my doubts w/ the STi scoop and oe intercooler- first you absolutely have to use the oe "splitter" (doesn't split like the STi one) w/ the oe ic and vice versa (STi w/ STi). The seal is absolutely critical in a efficient ic.

If you look at the oe splitter it effectivly seals at the top of the scoop- all of the air coming in is directed at the ic- when you go to the taller scoop, the oe "splitter" comes up short and the top is no longer in contact w/ the scoop- thus part of the air from the taller scoop is flowing over the oe splitter-not beng directed to the intercooler. I don't think it's hurting performance any as it should still recieve the "normal" amount of air, but don't see any benefits beyond aesthetics.

What would benefit the oe intercooler is a real splitter like the STi one has, if you look closely at your ic you will see bug/debris depostion almost exclusively at the rear of the intercooler. Spliting the air so the entire ic sees it would be benficial.

Intercoolers are much "trickier" than one would think- there are several parameters- flow, pressure drop, cooling efficiency- that have to be considered. Generally the ones that flow better, cool less effciently and vice versa. Also bigger intercoolers can act as heat sinks (holding heat in longer) than a small one. Lots of trade offs to consider, there is no perfect intercooler- its going to vary on what your apllication is.

Big Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    I don't think it's hurting performance any as it should still recieve the "normal" amount of air, but don't see any benefits beyond aesthetics.
    you might not see them, but wrx1 on nasioc proved them years ago with an autometer dual probe temp sensor.

bottom line: bigger scoop = faster cooling

ken

After putting my STi scoop on the stock hood scoop just looks wimpy. I'm sure the performance difference is minimal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.