Rocketman1's Next WRX project - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rocketman1's Next WRX project within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; this is the cookie chef chiming in ... ... WRX harness has been hacked down to 2 piles ... essential ...

this is the cookie chef chiming in ...

... WRX harness has been hacked down to 2 piles ... essential and non-essential wires ...

... and now it's break time ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

getting there

Well,

All the sensors are in, wires are all temp hooked up, and now i get to start troubleshooting.

Turns over, but no fuel pump sound.

I had anticipated this. Knew it wouldnt be perfect the first time around. There's a lot of wires. But, it was great to crank it over, and not have the cabin fill with smoke.

Its so close i can taste it.
    " Moorepower Motorsports - Subaru Maintenance and Mods "

Subaru UN-authorized repair center

"Warrantees voided while you wait"

Project 1: the beginning

Project 1: SOLD

PROJECT 2: Fun begins again

Ahhh, I love reading the updates to this thread. What hard work. It's especially nice to see it documented like this, to give the rest of us a real picture of what goes on.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

wooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo

SHE's ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its what I thought. Just ONE missed wire....just happened to be an important one...the primary power wire to the injectors....no wonder it wouldn't start...

Sounds awesome....jsut need to hook up the steering, and a few little odds/ends, then take it for a spin..(in the daylight).....

I am sooooooooooooo stoked.....

Thanks to Zephyr for consultations...
    Last edited by rocketman1; 08-24-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Awesome. Keep us posted.

eeeexcellent... must feel like you've just won a huge battle!
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    eeeexcellent... must feel like you've just won a huge battle!
    battles not quite over.....

i plan on this being FACTORY-like...i still have to sort out the OBDII plugs, the cruise control, build upper radiator mounts, hook up the fans, clean up the wire loom,.....ummmm...there is a list going.....but i am stoked it cranked...without TOO much trouble...

After i get it sorted in next day or two (after the steering and seat go in)...i will work on buttoning everything up....

I am SURE it wont be stock for very long at all...I have a few things up my sleeve.

drive

added fluids, steering wheel, and a seat...
    took it out for a small spin around...

engine hasnt been run in a while, and is still burning off the oil and PB Blaster from the exhaust/turbo......didnt want to go too far....got it up to temp and ran it a little bit, but not too much....just wanted to get it hot and check for leaks etc.

So far so good. I do have a CEL, and i will check it out when i finish wiring up the OBDII port. Right now, i just want to get a few miles on it to check everything out. I wasnt able to really DRIVE the motor when it was in the other car (see first page as to why, if you forgot)...figured i would put afew miles on it....then change the oil/coolant/plugs/fuel filter (although that is almost new anyways....off of RS)

The ACT clutch is going to take a llittle getting used to..the wimpy L cable clutch is all i have been driving for a bit...

more to come, along with some pictures....later on.

I just stumbled onto this and this is one of the most interesting things I have ever read, you must really know your sheet to be able to do this. God how gratifying to be able to take that wrecked car and put together another one on your own. How did you learn all of this stuff, I am guessing you work in a somewhat similar field. Either way, quite amazing and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonwrx
    I just stumbled onto this and this is one of the most interesting things I have ever read, you must really know your sheet to be able to do this. God how gratifying to be able to take that wrecked car and put together another one on your own. How did you learn all of this stuff, I am guessing you work in a somewhat similar field. Either way, quite amazing and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done.
    heheh, its probably going to lool all OEM by the time he's done!
    Dave
    01 RS

fuel gage

Ok.....for those of you that might attempt this (or just a general rant to Subaru if not)

The 'harness' on the RS and WRX tanks are the same. In what I thought would be a time-saving thing, when I pulled the fuel pump out, instead of putting the WRX pump in the RS 'cage assy', I changed out the entire unit (pump, gage, temp sensor, etc).... Everthing looked the same...same pins and all.....

When I started the car, I had no fuel gage, and the fuel 'get gas now, idiot light' was on. Checked all connectors at both ends; everything appeared OK....After scrubbing the schematics, here is what I found:

Although the harness is the same on the tanks, the 'cage assy' inside the tank is different. The RS has pins 5 and 2 tied together (fuel temp sensor and fuel gage grnd), while the WRX is not tied internally.

On the RS, the tank harness comes out to connector R57. The problem is that the ground for the fuel gage is pin 8 on this connector (hooks to pin 2 on R58) , and the temp sensor is pin 2 (hooks to pin 5 on R58). Because the RS is tied internally, pin 8(goes to pin 2 fuel pump ground on WRX) is blank. It took me a while to find this. Pin 8 should go FWD and mate up with the B/R wire that goes to the vehicle speed sensor, ECU, and the engine ground. Once I pinned the connector (luckily the WRX conn and RS conn are the same) , ran this up to the front, and hooked it up, I had a fuel gage.

Moral of the story: Unless you have the WRX harness, and feel like running new wires, just swap the pump in the cage of the RS.

Still have a few things to clean up. The WRX fan motors seem to be 2 speed, (3 wire) where the RS is a single speed (2 wire). So that leaves me with 2 options:

Put the RS fans in the wrx housings (assuming they fit...i havent checked) or wire up the WRX fans on high...What would be option 3, to rewire the fan system for 2 speeds like the WRX is not really an option.

I will let you know what works.

Also, the little plastic undertray covers that the RS has on each side are not made for this exhaust. The Pass side is laying up against the heatshield near the uppipe connection. It started to smoke/ melt. I will be trimming it to clear. Also, the plan for the upper Rad mounts is to make a piece similar to the aluminum covers that several vendors sell...kindof a shroud/mount all-in-one.
    We will see how it comes out.

More later.

updates

OK....after a little trouble shooting, I got the AC working correctly. The little cheatsheet that showed RS-WRX wires was in error. swapped 3 wires, everything works great.

Got the reverse light/neutral switch straightened out.

Took the Rs 2-speed fans out of their plastic shrouds, and swapped them into the WRX shrouds. Everything bolted right up. I now have working fans to go along with the AC.

Cut a chunk out of the plastic under shroud....no more burning plastic smell.

Back half of car is cleaned up enough that I can re-install the back seat and trunk liners.

My favorite part of all:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: NO CEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to install front sway bar today (driving without it, and having a big rear bar has been....interesting to say the least.

WRX fuel filter bracket (with battery wire clamps) installed.

Still have to mod/install boost controller bracket, power steering bottle bracket, and make upper rad mounts. I have also yet to install the WRX brake master cylinder/booster and the stainless lines. Still have to mod/install the IC diverter also.

Working to have everything buttoned up and complete by mid Oct, in time for running the car at Homestead Speedway. Hope to have a few other toys in by then too. Spent last weekend doing a motor swap and some odds and ends for a friend. But currently, car runs great. Cant wait to get away from 0.9 Bar!

Updates as warranted.

good to see that its working

you are amazing rocketman good job
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

info on front bar

OK....got the stock WRX bar on....with a little 'improvising'

Since I went with a JDM Impreza from x-member, the WRX bushings/clamps would not fit. The WRX has a bolt on each side, where the JDM is like the USDM RS....bolt and tab style. The WRX bushings will not squeeze into the RS clamps. Luckily, I never threw away my stock RS front bar. I stole the bushings of it, and everything is good to go.....

I guess I will have to make sure and get a JDM front bar kit when I order my Whiteline front bar. BTW, anyonw want to buy a Whiteline Front bar.?..Its the BIG one, for NA RS.

I will be putting up a list of parts avavilable (there are an incredible amount of parts in my garage now)....as soon as I sort threw everything. If you need something, PM me, and I will see if I have it. I kept just about everything off the WRX when I threw it out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.