Rocketman1's Next WRX project - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rocketman1's Next WRX project within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ......

The $$$$ shot

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swap 090a.jpg  
    " Moorepower Motorsports - Subaru Maintenance and Mods "

Subaru UN-authorized repair center

"Warrantees voided while you wait"

Project 1: the beginning

Project 1: SOLD

PROJECT 2: Fun begins again

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on your project, its very cool to see something done so nicely.
    Honda's are like tampons every P---y has one.

Looks good so far ... I'll be ready with cookies every weekend

break time

OK, taking a short break from the swap....

Few observations:

The JDM CG8 crossmember fit great. No grinding off tabs, shimming a-arms, engine sitting higher than normal; unlike the WRX crossmember. This was well worth the $$$ spent. Plus it was all clean and nice....looks out of place under my filthy car.

When you put the engine back in, do not forget to put that little flywheel cover plate on prior to sitting the engine all the way into the mounts, or you will have to jack the motor back up, as did I.

When using RS tranny (push clutch slave cylinder) with EJ20, you have to either bend the water line coming out of the back of the engine, or loosen the clutch line and re-clock it to clear.

If using RS AC components, as I am, the Compressor line hits the GBOD on the driver side. The GBOD needs a bit of 'grinding' to make the line clear. Mine will look factory after a coat of olive drab green paint, and it clears nicely now. I also had to bend the AC line a little, as it hit the intake manifold edge, after the GBOD was modified.

The back AC line (bolted to the pitch mount bracket) hits the bottom of the IC. This must be bent down to clear.

As far as heater core lines, I re-used the RS line on the driver side, and the WRX line hooked right up to the other line (center of engine).

WRX airbox bolts right into factory RS mounts.

I am using the WRX radiator, and fans, and will have to make custom upper mounts for the radiator. Silly Subaru changed the upper points, but lowers line right up.

Upper Radiator hose looks like it will be close to pulleys. Need to trim it a bit for clearance.

WRX DP bolts right up, and lines up with factory RS points on the tranny, etc. Very Nice.

Even though they look very similar, the hoses on the actual steering rack are different from RS to WRX (or at least mine were bent at different angles). Since I have the lines, I changed to the WRX lines on the rack after putting it in --- that is what I get for not looking closely while everything was out of the car---. You MIGHT be able to get the RS lines to work with the WRX upper lines by bending/re-adjusting them (I think fittings are same size) but I chose to put tee WRX ones on because I have them. Also, dont forget that with the system open, turning the steering wheel = big mess. I forgot about that.

That is all right now. I need to quit procrastinating and go tear the dash out of the RS. I have just been putting it off. Wiring is no fun.

Pics ( and hopefully a running car) to follow....

Maybe by next weekend she will run. I am in no rush. It will take a while to do it right.

Break #2

Man, that dash is a PITA to get out with one person. There's no turning back now.

dash all out

OK

what fun...

The dash is out, along with the support bar....

Just like the WRX, all the wires run BEHIND the heater core in the middle of the car. This is not supposed to come out without taking the AC evaporator out....it overlaps...but I didnt want to drain the AC system. So I started loosening things up. I took all the hardware holding the Evap and Fan off, and went under the hood and took out the bolts holding the dryer can and the AC line to the firewall. I was able to push the Evap/fan setup into the car just enough. After I blew the coolant out of the heater core (very important, unless you want antifreeze all over the inside of your car).. I was able to push the Evap out of the way enough to get the heater core out of the car, exposing the wire bundles. Yay me.

I am now in the process of unhooking EVERYTHING, and hope to have the harness out soon.....

This is probably as far as I will go tonite.

out

ok harness is out and on the floor.....boy that was FUN.

I can see why not many people do this......

done for the nite.......may do some pics after a shower...

going to start labeling/CUTTING harnesses tomorrow....

Pics

As promised....

1: Its a mess under the dash.......

3: Got the Heater Core out with the AC system intact

2: Harness is out....will be paring it down for mating tomorrow...that should be fun

4: Here is my modified GBOD for the RS AC system
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swap 101a.jpg   Swap 108a.jpg   Swap 110a.jpg   Swap 117a.jpg  

Holy crap, I've never seen so many wires!

*Changes his mind about engine swap*

Subscribed to thread, good one by the way. Your gonna be stoked with that EJ20 in your rs, you should get some pics of you racing some cops when your all done and running. j/k
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Excellent thread! Looks like a bunch of work and a bunch of fun. Damn, its going to be great to hear that engine fire up in that body. Great work!

wiring

OK

the little mini harness that goes to the engine (the engine control harness near the battery) is all tore out of the WRX harness, and melded with the RS harness. Its all plugged in and tucked away, routed under the fender to near the fuse block (just like stock). That was the easy one. Well, except for the Square peg-round hole thing. Now for hacking the big harnesses.

Got invited to diner tonite, and have to be in to work at 3 AM for Shuttle landing, so today will be cut short. Should get most of the harnesses labeled and de-taped.

Its gonna be good.
    Last edited by rocketman1; 08-07-2005 at 04:20 PM.

revelation # 239487520947852093457098

I realize now that I really didnt HAVE to pull the RS harness completely out of the car...the entire left side (from radio controls over) could have stayed in and hooked up. The only portion that goes to that side is the engine subharness (SMJ connector) and it is a standalone over to the ecu. Oh well, just more connectors to keep track of. I am sure its easier to work on the harness outside of the car, but it could have stayed in.

It will need to be put back in soonly so I can get an idea of wire lengths as I start SPLICING.

I am dont for the night. Not sure how much time I will have during the week, but I plan on working on it a bunch next weekend. Might even run by then.

Older pic

This shows all the wires. The Front harness is already installed, and the other harnesses are undressed, and ready to be cut apart.

(i didnt circle the RS. I hope you can figure that one out)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swap 126a.jpg  

no free time

havent had much free time lately. There are wires all over (much worse than the pic above)

I have the WRX harness pretty chopped up...jsut about complete with it. I am near the time where i have to HACK the RS harness...that is more terrifying..

Weekend PLAN:

Finish WRX harness teardown...

RS harness is back in car temporarily for length measure. Plan to start soldering tomorrow.

Need to change the fuel pump out, and add the controller to the loop.

Change the oil and add fluids (after i get the RAD set properly.)

I want to attempt to crank the car and take it for a spin, before I bundle the wires/put the heater core or dash in. Also need to change the Brake MC prior to dash (along with throttle cable prior to startup.

Once I get it running(and troubleshot) I am going to do a few other wiring deals while I have it all apart (cruise control, etc) As long as I can tie-wrap the cluster to something, who needs a dash??????

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1
    As long as I can tie-wrap the cluster to something, who needs a dash??????
    lol
    Dave
    01 RS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.