Safe Boost level?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Safe Boost level? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know whats the safe boost PSI i can raise it to without damaging the engine? Only mods I will ...

Safe Boost level?

Anyone know whats the safe boost PSI i can raise it to without damaging the engine?

Only mods I will have atm is : Helix turbo back, CAI , Turboxs manual boost controller.

any links or anwsers would be appriecated!
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2.5 93OCT- 12.9 SEC @ No Problem Raceway
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you want to play it safe, you really shouldn't mess w/ the boost if you're not going to compinsate in the other necessary areas (for example FUEL). You should really lose the boost controller, it may cause more "cons" than "pros". But if really must use it, I wouldn't set more than 14.5-15 lbs. But I still say you should just wait, save up if you have to & get some kind of engine management. Hope any of this helps.

ah okay thanks, could you point me to some links about fuel management or upgrades to help out?

thanks
    02' WRX OSECUROM STG 2 93OCT on 91OCT map -13.708 SEC / 097.84 MPH / 1.86 60 ft @ No Problem Raceway

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    It also depends on what your altitude is. (If I don't say that Zem will yell at me )

Yeah, ditch the boost controller, and lose the CAI while you're at it. If I were you I would get a catless uppipe first, then look at some type of engine management.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You'll be ok with a manual boost, I used one for a long time and so have many other owners of turbo cars. I think running another psi or 2 will be ok, but you wouldn't want to push the turbo to far. The nicest thing is that the boost wont taper off.

But, one thing to be very carefully with the throttle. See the downside to the MBC is it will allow patial throttle full boost, witch can be bad. I would always keep a eye on my boost gauge, and would let the boost go above about 7 psi at patrail throttle. If it went over seven I would let off just a bit, or just go WOT.

But, your next mod should be engine manament. The utec's are great. I don't know how I lived without it.

As I said many turbo cars have used this with good results, but I also want to add that many motors have been lost thanks to them also. Be carefull and don't get boost happy and you'll be ok.

edit: also, it's easier to avoid partial throttle full boost with a bigger turbo

ah okay thanks racin for the info.

Cheesy i have complete catless exhaust system

From various post i have read i some people think vf34's are better than vf22 and vice versa? Can anyone supply a link to the difference of these two?

Mods

After 16psi/1bar the TD04 is just gonna push hotair and the "gains" past that are only gonna raise possibility of bustin something.

I wouldnt run mine any more than 16.

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Thanks train for the info!

one last question: stock psi for wrx is 13psi?

Mods

Quote Originally Posted by hakira

one last question: stock psi for wrx is 13psi?
    I think its 14.5psi

Currently with my UTEC and turbo back I'm spiking 17-18psi.
    WRB WRX: Super 16g Equipped
    www.BrotSpec.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hakira
    Anytime

hey guys, to everyone in the post i took out my tdo4 and threw in a tdo5 16g, thus it spools more air but both turbos ran 12psi, considering the compressor wheel is bigger on the 16g, is it just as equal to my stock turbos AFR or does it spool more air, and my friend ran 16 psi in his 02 wrx and a piston melted because of to much boost mine is a 2002 with 3' turboxs downpipe and catback, and i baby it and try not to ride my turbo, as i am afraid of doing the same not knowing my afr

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow back from the dead.

Dude you need tuning. Changing out a turbo without tuning is just asking for a blown motor. You also need new injectors, higher flow fuel pump, and a better intercooler to go along with your exhaust mods. That's probably why your idiot friend melted a piston, no tuning/proper modifications with an increase in boost pressure/air flow.

I take it you didn't research this before purchasing your 16G... This information is available on every Subaru forum out there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.