Wrx Cams
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx Cams within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just noticed not much is really said about cams here, however whenever I see modded evo's they all have ...

Wrx Cams

I just noticed not much is really said about cams here, however whenever I see modded evo's they all have a cam upgrade. Now I realize that only jun cams were currently availble however chech this out http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646266 . I think this would be a great upgrade and I think the price is awsome! Could someone please tell me their thoughts.
    Honda's are like tampons every P---y has one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cams are good

Cam upgrades are good, but much more difficult on a flat opposed engine than a 4 inline block like Honda's Evos' and such.

I think the main issue is that they were very expensive and you ended up pulling the engine to swap them out.

Larry
    13.239@102.85 -- 5800 ft altitude
    on the stock TD04L-13T turbo

I too have been wondering for a long time now why cam upgrades are so common on the EVO. One of jackarses on Tuner Transformation put an HKS set in some guy's EVO claiming it would help because it has lots of overlap. The funny thing is, overlap is actually counterproductive in a turbocharged senario. Go figure. I hate people.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You'll need a built motor to run that JUN cams set-up....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

I Support ClubWRX
    The reason cams aren't popular on wrx's is very simple: you HAVE to pull the motor to install them. Also, to my knowledge, before the crower cams that kingpin is now selling, there were no 'mild' cam upgrades for the EJ series motors short of swapping, ie JDM STI cams or USDM STI cams. On evo's the cams are so easy to get to that it would be silly not to change them and because the 4G63 has been around forever there are plenty of cam options. . My motor is getting replaced due to a busted piston and i played around with the idea of cams, but ended up just getting V7 heads with stock V7 cams (and a V7 motor )
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

and u will not pass emissions in cali, with cams.
    i only live for 1 thing and that is to spend money.

SBW
    Quote Originally Posted by WiCkeDrEx
    You'll need a built motor to run that JUN cams set-up....
    totally not true. you need to change to a shim-under-bucket design though, or shimless I believe. Some correct me if Im wrong, but that's not that hard as you'll be removing the motor for a cam job anyway.

What is true is that our heads(205 owners) don't flow nearly as well as 207 or usdm sti motors. Jun cams are sick, but sooo expensive. I just can't believe no one's got a better option. Im toying around with the purchase of them for my motor project, but I'm having a hard time dealing with how expensive they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SBW
    totally not true. you need to change to a shim-under-bucket design though, or shimless I believe. Some correct me if Im wrong, but that's not that hard as you'll be removing the motor for a cam job anyway.

What is true is that our heads(205 owners) don't flow nearly as well as 207 or usdm sti motors. Jun cams are sick, but sooo expensive. I just can't believe no one's got a better option. Im toying around with the purchase of them for my motor project, but I'm having a hard time dealing with how expensive they are.
    I got this from gruppe-s website.

"The JUN Stage 2 Head Kit includes your choice of 264 or 272 JUN cams, valve springs, and retainers for the EJ20 head. These cams feature much more aggressive lift and duration for those looking for the absolute maximum horsepower. This setup can be revved to over 8500RPM and should only be combined with a properly built engine"

http://gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subeng.htm
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WiCkeDrEx
    I got this from gruppe-s website.

"The JUN Stage 2 Head Kit includes your choice of 264 or 272 JUN cams, valve springs, and retainers for the EJ20 head. These cams feature much more aggressive lift and duration for those looking for the absolute maximum horsepower. This setup can be revved to over 8500RPM and should only be combined with a properly built engine"

http://gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subeng.htm
    The part of that quote that warrants a built motor is the revving to 8500 rpm part. The stock crank and internals aren't designed to do that. So without a properly matched internal setup, you're really not using the cams to their potential. Other than that, you don't NEED a built motor.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    The part of that quote that warrants a built motor is the revving to 8500 rpm part. The stock crank and internals aren't designed to do that. So without a properly matched internal setup, you're really not using the cams to their potential. Other than that, you don't NEED a built motor.
    Yeah, but what would be the point on a stock 2 liter... Much better things to spend your money and time on.

Cams are a fun lil project. Get to disassemble the heads as well to upgrade them with nice goodies. Total cost vs. the end rewards is not worth it IMO.

-Mike

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MJU1983
    Yeah, but what would be the point on a stock 2 liter... Much better things to spend your money and time on.

Cams are a fun lil project. Get to disassemble the heads as well to upgrade them with nice goodies. Total cost vs. the end rewards is not worth it IMO.

-Mike
    I absolutely agree. It's pretty pointless to do on a stock block. There are a lot of things that are pointless that people do anyone. I was just pointing out that you can do it if you want to.. maybe as a fun little project as you stated
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

cams are a cool mod... but as said its a PITA to install on the subaru. but cams offer more than just higher revs... they are offered as difference stages, as each offers something different. Street usually emphasizes more low-mid end power and a good idle, where a full race set-up emphasizes major gains more at the top end with more revs, etc. and slightly rough idle. its a mod that can completely transform how a engine performs.

on the US WRX's, revving up to 8000k will probably blow it up... so some work needs to be done. mine is set at a supposedly safe 7400 rpms, but its evident that these engines weren't meant to rev that high as it sounds stressed compared to the sound of a honda motor at those revs for example. but different motors, different specs... i've had the pleasure of hearing an all motor honda at full song at 15,000 rpms and that is beautiful! but the flat 4 is not the same beast... and even on fully built motors, they only rev up to 8000 rpms or so...

i had wanted to do cams, simply because i want an 8000rpm redline, but the fact is the stock engine isnt built for it. a jdm STi engine bone stock will do 8000rpm... but its got forged internals, a specially harmonic balanced pulley and of course a balanced bottom end among probably a ton of provisions to support that. in the end i feel its cheaper to just do a swap if rpms are your thing... and honestly all i've wanted was what the japanese get... but its apparant it wont happen unless i do a swap, which will never happen because i have better things i can buy with that money. (like another car)
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by MJU1983
    When do you think you should be looking at diffrent cams then?

The way I'm thinking is that you can free alot of power by optimising the heads. And there must be a practical upper limit of how much power you can get with stock cams..

I don't think I will reach 400+whp with stock cams!? And at the 400+ power level what cam would then give the most midrange tourqe?
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roffa
    When do you think you should be looking at diffrent cams then?

The way I'm thinking is that you can free alot of power by optimising the heads. And there must be a practical upper limit of how much power you can get with stock cams..

I don't think I will reach 400+whp with stock cams!? And at the 400+ power level what cam would then give the most midrange tourqe?
    Cams will definitely free up some more power at 400+whp, but at those power levels you should be considering stronger internals, because it's not gonna run 400+whp for long.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

I think Dan at Godspeed is working with DPR and has mentioned having cams available. They should be cheaper than Jun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.