blow-off question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on blow-off question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When i replaced my stock bypass valve for an HKS SSQ blow-off, did i sacafice my bypass valve? does the ...

blow-off question

When i replaced my stock bypass valve for an HKS SSQ blow-off, did i sacafice my bypass valve? does the hks act as a bypass to??
    help please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    The HKS vents to atmosphere unless you got the recirc kit. The stock BOV vents back to the intake. You didn't sacrifice your bypass valve, you're just venting to a different location now. Some people notice a decrease in performance with aftermarket BOV's though. . .it's mostly just a sound mod. But as long as you like it, just do what you want.

Calvin

yeah it tends to cause a rich idle... makes sense if you think about it. there are BOV's that vent both into the atmosphere and recirculate it to prevent that rich idle.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

yup...there are several

I run a GFB 50/50 that completely eliminates any idle problems
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

yikes, i think i have noticed a little decrease in performance since i installed it. this is becasue aftermarket blow offs are intended to relieve turbos that are producing alot more horsepower than stock was designed? am i right? with a few mods, i should cancel out the loss in performance casued by the ssq

cnk
    The main reason for the decrease in performance is because the ECU already knows how much air is in the system from the MAF sensor. When the stock BOV goes off, it assumes that air is going back into the intake and thus gives it the appropriate fuel. Since aftermarket BOV's vent to atmosphere, the ECU would be giving the engine more fuel to compensate for the expected air that isn't there, thus causing a rich mixture.

Not sure if a bigger turbo would necessarily eliminate this, but it may make it less noticeable. The stock BOV is capable of handling 20.5psi IIRC though so an aftermarket BOV may not even be needed unless you plan on running more boost than that.

Calvin

50/50 valves split the outgoing air...since the 2 pathways are connected, if the motor creates a negative pressure (because it needs air) all the air actually goes back to the intake until the negative pressure is gone...this elimintaes the problem of running rich...in fact under some conditions you won't hear the BOV sound because the air isn't escaping to the atmosphere.

the benefit? well...um....it makes a cool noise sometimes....and I guess it could be argued that the valve opens and closes a little faster and the vent it bigger so it dumps the pressure faster and reduces turbo lag. I noticed a little difference, but I have to admint that it probably wasn't the best way to spend $200.
    go f*** yourself

Originally posted by blarg
    50/50 valves split the outgoing air...since the 2 pathways are connected, if the motor creates a negative pressure (because it needs air) all the air actually goes back to the intake until the negative pressure is gone...this elimintaes the problem of running rich...in fact under some conditions you won't hear the BOV sound because the air isn't escaping to the atmosphere.

the benefit? well...um....it makes a cool noise sometimes....and I guess it could be argued that the valve opens and closes a little faster and the vent it bigger so it dumps the pressure faster and reduces turbo lag. I noticed a little difference, but I have to admint that it probably wasn't the best way to spend $200.
    yeah, well when you boost beyond 20 psi you will be glad you had gotten it.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

I"m actually about to get a spare turbo from a wrecked WRX that'll probably go out for that upgrade service where they bore it out and put it a bigger compressor or something...so I guess i will be....sooner than I thought.
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.