weird smell question

This is a discussion on weird smell question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; tonight after work, I let my car warm up and this girl at work wanted to go for a ride, ...

weird smell question

tonight after work, I let my car warm up and this girl at work wanted to go for a ride, so I floor it about a 1/4 mile or so, turn, floor it again and at the next light, maybe another 1/4 mile up or so, it smelled like something was burning, my tranny was shifting cool, my brakes felt a little tight, I am not real sure what it was, I turned the light and floored it again, and at the next light it was gone. the runs were both to around 85-95mph with fairly quick stops, so... I shouldn't have any problems with the engine with just the DP and UP right, I trimmed the stock heat shield and put it back on, did the resistor mod for the up, and the spark plug anti foulers for the rear o2, so...anything I should be worried about?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    How long has it been since you installed your up and downpipes? If it was fairly recently, you might just be smelling normal smells that accompany installing aftermarket exhaust pieces. They go away in about a week after installation, though, so if it is much beyond that, I don't know. Have you ever been close to a girl before? Girls smell different than guys (or so I am told), so you just might not have been used to the scent of the opposite sex.

85-95--0mph quick can give you a nice little smell of hot brakes. most likely that was it..also what he said is true ^^^^
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

I sometimes get a burnt oil smell when I do several WOT runs for 3 straight minutes.

could be burning your clutch depending on how hard your launch was.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I have an auto, and I didn't launch at all, just flooring it (or as the autos do, easing into it)
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

were you paying attention to your gauges? Sometimes running too hot will have a burning oil or coolent type smell, before the gauges is pegged or any smoke comes out.
    __________________________________________________ _
    98' Civic (stop laughing)
    Building LS/Vtec

maybe it might have something to do with not letting the car warmup before you went WOT? i dont know if that might be a factor but i never pass 3 at most when my car is cold...

This may be a pointless fact but when I installed my Helix up pipe it burned/melted the stock a/c drip tube. I just cut it in half and it has not given me any problems........Well I never turn on my a/c though. It is a waste of a few good horses in my stable.

could've been the chick getting all hot. Maybe speed turns her on?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    could've been the chick getting all hot. Maybe speed turns her on?
    +1 thats what i think it was...

yeah she wants me to break up with the girl I have been with for 3 years for her

anyways, I have came to the conlcusion that I was unaware of what a car like mine (with my mods) would smell like, tonight driving home I made a few high speed runs, and came to a quick stop and I think it was just the fumes catching up to me, or the above
    4EAT, wrb, wrx