Wastegate CEL (overboosting)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wastegate CEL (overboosting) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last night i was driving along on the highway and i wanted to pass some guy so i just went ...

Cel

Last night i was driving along on the highway and i wanted to pass some guy so i just went WOT in 5th and all of a sudden the car jerks real hard and the CEL came on. I couldnt figure out what was going on, cause the car was driving fine after that....so i started to think maybe i set my boost too high.....so i go WOT again, and sure enough in 5th the boost spiked to like 17 pounds. I pulled over and reset the ecu and the CEL went away, and no further problems....does anyone think i did any kinda damage...i was only boosting at 17 psi for like 5 seconds or so

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str
    i'm having this exact problem right now. don't fret the cel, it will reset itself. turn down your boos to 15 psi in third gear and you'll be fine.
    2004 Black Forester XT

How exactly do you reset the ECU?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes will reset the ECU.

Sounds like your car just cut fuel, similar to bouncing it off the rev limiter. You should be fine.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Originally posted by Flyboy
    Disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes will reset the ECU.

Sounds like your car just cut fuel, similar to bouncing it off the rev limiter. You should be fine.
    Thanks Flyboy.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

str
    turn off th car for a few minutes and restart. it should reset after awhile. if not there is software you can by so you can hook a laptop up to your car and reset it.
    2004 Black Forester XT

You triggered a boost-induced fuel cut, 'Wastegate solenoid malfunction', probably code 0243 or 0244.

The first thing to do is to stop boosting at 17psi with the stock turbo.

-Pace

I had the same thing happen to my engine (shake and CEL) and now after resetting the ECU, my car is slower than hell, and the EBC I had installed is waaaaay off. I had lo boost at 8psi, and high at 15. After reset, and the knobs in the same position, I can squeeze maybe 8 out of the turbo. I tried setting the high boost up with the knob, and got another CEL, this time without any engine noise or malfunction. What I dont understand is that when it forst happened, i was only on 10psi, but it was a hot day outside. For now, i disconnectd my EBC for awhile, and I am going to try a few tanks of gas and hard driving with the facotry solenoid back in place to see if that helps. If anyone has had this happen pleeeeeaaaaseeeeee let me know how to fix it. I used to have this nice fast scooby
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dcraw6782
    I had the same thing happen to my engine (shake and CEL) and now after resetting the ECU, my car is slower than hell, and the EBC I had installed is waaaaay off. I had lo boost at 8psi, and high at 15. After reset, and the knobs in the same position, I can squeeze maybe 8 out of the turbo. I tried setting the high boost up with the knob, and got another CEL, this time without any engine noise or malfunction. What I dont understand is that when it forst happened, i was only on 10psi, but it was a hot day outside. For now, i disconnectd my EBC for awhile, and I am going to try a few tanks of gas and hard driving with the facotry solenoid back in place to see if that helps. If anyone has had this happen pleeeeeaaaaseeeeee let me know how to fix it. I used to have this nice fast scooby
    It will take your ECU some time to re-learn your driving style after you reset it. Don't worry, it'll come back to life
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Thanks - so the ECU will affect the control of an EBC as well?? I have a greddy profec b, and it threw the settings off of it too.
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dcraw6782
    Thanks - so the ECU will affect the control of an EBC as well?? I have a greddy profec b, and it threw the settings off of it too.
    I'm sure since the ECU won't be able to put out as much power as before, it'll affect the boost levels in tandem, but don't quote me.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

To reset the fuel cut CEL, you just need 3 "safe trips", meaning htat the car is run and shut off without the ECU seeing the same cause (in your case, overboost). You can speed this up by just starting the car and letting it run a few seconds, and then turning it off. Repeat 3 times and the CEL should stay off on the next start.

bcblues - thanks for the tip - now I wont have to reset the ECU anymore! Anyway, i tried hooking up the EBC again today, and for some reason, I am hitting fuel cut at 8.5 psi of boost!!! I have checked and rechecked all the installations, and I cannot figure out the problem. I guess i will just drive it hard for a week ot so and see what happens. Any suggstions would be great............

I am having a similar problem and I believe that it is due to an inaccurate boost guage.

I made a bleeder valve MBC to start with and was hitting the CEL cutout at about 10 - 12 psi. I decided to order a joe P MBC and am currently only having the issue if I give it full throttle in 4th or 5th gear while going about 50 mph. I am seeing about 10 psi in 1st at WOT and about 13.5 in remaining gears. While at idle my guage usually reads about 12 Hg and sometimes about 18 Hg.

Is there a way to test a manual guage for accuracy?

Thanks all!

Darksaga

Originally posted by darksaga
    I am having a similar problem and I believe that it is due to an inaccurate boost guage.

I made a bleeder valve MBC to start with and was hitting the CEL cutout at about 10 - 12 psi. I decided to order a joe P MBC and am currently only having the issue if I give it full throttle in 4th or 5th gear while going about 50 mph. I am seeing about 10 psi in 1st at WOT and about 13.5 in remaining gears. While at idle my guage usually reads about 12 Hg and sometimes about 18 Hg.

Is there a way to test a manual guage for accuracy?

Thanks all!

Darksaga
    Which gauge are you using? Autometers are getting a reputation for being somewhat inaccurate, and I had one on my WRX for a short while that would under-read by one to two psi.

-Pace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast