A Bit off Topic but need help with TURBO car

This is a discussion on A Bit off Topic but need help with TURBO car within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi sorry in advance for posting a bit off topic but my friend has a 1999 Eclipse GST and not ...

A Bit off Topic but need help with TURBO car

Hi sorry in advance for posting a bit off topic but my friend has a 1999 Eclipse GST and not too long ago started having problems with it when flooring the gas. I just took a ride with him and the problem it at full throttle when the turbo kicks in there are 3-4 times when boost and power seems to totally disappear and then appear again in a sec in each gear. This does not happen at partial throttle though even with the turbo running. What do you guys think the problem is? I'm thinking itís the wastgaste. If so is it something that can be adjusted or do you have to replace it. Thanks a bunch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What mods does he have?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Just a Gready BOV, mufler, and an intake.

Check his boost pressure, it may move out of spec even though you don't have a MBC. Even though I sounds strange with those mods I'm still guessing fuelcut.

Check the boost pressure first.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I was going to say the same thing as Roffa. What you are describing does sound like fuel cut...or perhaps a over boost fuel cut, similar to what is on the Utec. The over boost fuel cut is the problem that we were having with my set up.

caelin~

you and me both...i have the mbc set for like 19 psi in 3rd gear..but sometimes it spikes...so all i did was raise the overboost fuel cut to 25psi.

You raised the over boost fuel cut to 25psi? did you do that to the Utec? If so how did you do that?

caelin~

Pressurize the intake system to whatever boost pressure he runs normally (I think stock is around 11psi) and check for leaks. I'm guessing he has a split hose or similar issue that only reveals itself above a certain pressure.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

The BOV could be leaking as well. Check that.