dealership's poor install, who is liable?

This is a discussion on dealership's poor install, who is liable? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im in Southern California, I took my new ( still in bubble wrap) bosal twin tip cat back exhaust into ...

dealership's poor install, who is liable?

Im in Southern California, I took my new ( still in bubble wrap) bosal twin tip cat back exhaust into the dealership to have them install it, since they do a lot of aftermarket there and they " install tons of exhausts" ( subie tech) + there install price was cheaper than local muffler shops. when i got it home it had already melted a lot of my bumper, because the tip was touching the bottom. it wasnt really aligned great, so the next day i took it back and showed the same guy, and the service manager came out, and they said that since it was an aftermarket exhaust that wasnt " subaru certified" and i didnt buy it from them, that they arent liable. Alot of people told me that they should cover a new bumper because its there job to check what they install. Its not a huge deal, i can live with the little damage, just curious as to wether they are responsible or not

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A well.........

I say they would DAM well fix my bumper or I would be callin the B.B.B!

If you didnt sign a release stating the dealer excepted no respondsabilty for damage for their work than they are liable.

Just think if you had "aftermarket" wheels installed and one fell off on the way home?

Raise hell........

SHotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

ya man!! raise lots of hell!!! plus the customer is always right, and get ahold of manager as soon as possible...... good luck, and keep us updated!
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

tan
    Well....the Bosal exhaust may have been designed only for the 02-03 WRX....since the 04 WRX rear bumper hangs a little lower -- something most aftermarket companies are not really aware about.

Because of this slight difference in the bumpers...it's a manufacturer's defect, of their own ignorance, since they probably assumed it fit the 04 bumper without problems.

It seems to me the dealership is in the clear. You asked them to install an aftermarket part, they did, and it doesn't fit correctly. Unless they installed it incorrectly, you can't really blame them. This is very different than if they improperly installed wheels that fell off on the way home.

Fortunately, there are many WRXs with melted bumpers, and it isn't that noticeable. You may just want to get some spacers to cram in the hangers.

I would say that the dealer is in the clear myself too...

You or the manufacturer of the exhaust didin't do enough homework to ensure that it would work on the car. You paid them to bolt the exhaust in place, and that's what they did.. Nothing more, nothing less... The fact that it melted your muffler isn't their fault... It might have been nice for them to have warned you, but since they didn't sell it to you, they probably were not thinking about that.

Not trying to be mean, but this seems analogous to someone picking up a nice big turbo without getting the supporting mods, and then getting a shop to bolt it on, blowing the engine, then going back to the shop to complain..

I would contact that manufacturer of the exhaust, and make a complaint to them.. I am sure this news will be news to them.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

thanks for the input guys - im lowering the car soon so it wont be to noticeable anyway

Red face

you *paid* somebody to put a cat-back on a brand-new (ie: bolts not rusted) car ?!!?! It's like 4 bolts and a little WD40 and screwdriver action on the hangers.

When I watched/helped my buddy do it, I was almost embarrassed that I had waited for his help, coulda done it myself in less than an hour.

/old school

that would have been good to know earlier

i specifically asked oakos automotive if this fit the 04 and they said yea, also i have seen others with it, as to the dealership installing it incorrectly, they said its just rubber things the hangars fit in, so theres no adjusting involved, it seems like the manufacturer needs to stay more up to date, i just trimmed my bumper with a dremel, no more melted bumper!

Originally posted by WRX_Wagon
    you *paid* somebody to put a cat-back on a brand-new (ie: bolts not rusted) car ?!!?! It's like 4 bolts and a little WD40 and screwdriver action on the hangers.

When I watched/helped my buddy do it, I was almost embarrassed that I had waited for his help, coulda done it myself in less than an hour.

/old school

Kinda rough on a guy since you admit you thought you needed help too! So he didn't know, and neither did you. Relax; this isn't NASIOC.

If you don't know, some folks with another brand were having muffler melting issues too. A trick is to go to Home Depot or something and get some brass pipe connectors (just a small piece of brass pipe really, cost is very low, like $.25 each or something) and use grease to jam them in the rear exhaust hangers. This will lower the tailpipe just a little, but it fixes all melting issues. You can send integratowrx a PM for more details.

If the muffler has the one hanger on each side like the 02-03

Wouldnt a "qualified mechanic" notice that you could BEND them ever so slightly upward and lower the muffler away from the bumper?

Gee, even a hillbilly like me could figure that one out

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

ya that makes sense to me, but now a days someone might try to sue them for helping out.... sad sad world!!
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?