HKS Downpipe Review! - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on HKS Downpipe Review! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oh yes...it was sarcasm. I just thought the remark on PICTURES and FLASHCARDS was a little I-Clubbish... but damn Gryphon, ...

Thumbs up

Oh yes...it was sarcasm. I just thought the remark on PICTURES and FLASHCARDS was a little I-Clubbish...

but damn Gryphon, that's actually the best explanation I've seen to explain it the simplest way. So thank you! (not sarcastic of course)..haha...

B

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Gryphon had it right a few weeks ago, too when he spoke about putting in a separate pipe. Remember the discussion about shooting fireballs? Whether the car would actually catch fire or not is questionable and probably unlikely. But i think you would smell it and it would definitely shoot fire. Did you ever see a race car belching fire? Gryphon had proposed running the pipe all the way to the rear bumper as I recall. If this is inaccurate, please clarify.

I checked into an external wastegate. They're cheap enough, but the install looks pretty tough.

As far as knowledge goes you're right a little can go pretty far. Nevertheless, I know where the wastegate is on this turbo. I'm having my Stromung (a flat flange design) modified to have a separate passage, sort of like the Vishnu pipe, because I anticipate boost spiles when I fit the FP turbo. I'll post some pics when I get it. ILP Performance is doing the work.

russ

Originally posted by russ
    Gryphon had it right a few weeks ago, too when he spoke about putting in a separate pipe. Remember the discussion about shooting fireballs? Whether the car would actually catch fire or not is questionable and probably unlikely. But i think you would smell it and it would definitely shoot fire. Did you ever see a race car belching fire? Gryphon had proposed running the pipe all the way to the rear bumper as I recall. If this is inaccurate, please clarify.

I checked into an external wastegate. They're cheap enough, but the install looks pretty tough.

As far as knowledge goes you're right a little can go pretty far. Nevertheless, I know where the wastegate is on this turbo. I'm having my Stromung (a flat flange design) modified to have a separate passage, sort of like the Vishnu pipe, because I anticipate boost spiles when I fit the FP turbo. I'll post some pics when I get it. ILP Performance is doing the work.

russ
    I honestly haven't noticed much of a smell from my catless exhaust, but of course, this goes to the rear of the car. The external wastegate I was proposing would either rejoin with the dp, end at the dp (open to atmosphere) or go all the way back to the rear (more unlikely).

I don't think it would really have much problem passing emissions unless there was a visual inspection (I don't think we have one), as the wastegate wouldn't even come into play during the sniffer tests. Also, the sniffer is INSIDE the muffler... would it even read anything from outside?

I'm looking into welding classes... gonna learn myself how ta' TIG weld, practice it a bunch and go to town Who wants some headers? (in about two years ) But CTC quoted me approx. $300 for the welding but they weren't sure if that would be accurate because they don't have the dp to look at. So looks like I'll be either doing this myself or talking to friends trying to get the homie hook-up. I think that exhaust divorce plate would be the most difficult thing to get right (dimensions-wise).
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Originally posted by gryphon

I honestly haven't noticed much of a smell from my catless exhaust, but of course, this goes to the rear of the car. The external wastegate I was proposing would either rejoin with the dp, end at the dp (open to atmosphere) or go all the way back to the rear (more unlikely).

I don't think it would really have much problem passing emissions unless there was a visual inspection (I don't think we have one), as the wastegate wouldn't even come into play during the sniffer tests. Also, the sniffer is INSIDE the muffler... would it even read anything from outside?

I'm looking into welding classes... gonna learn myself how ta' TIG weld, practice it a bunch and go to town Who wants some headers? (in about two years ) But CTC quoted me approx. $300 for the welding but they weren't sure if that would be accurate because they don't have the dp to look at. So looks like I'll be either doing this myself or talking to friends trying to get the homie hook-up. I think that exhaust divorce plate would be the most difficult thing to get right (dimensions-wise).
    For welding issues...

Get the SS manderal bend pipes that I've mention.
    Pre-cut them to the desire lenghts and shape.
    Pre-cut the WG hole from the DP flange.

Take all this to a local muff. shop and they can weld it for you for less then $25.
    If you cant find one, I'll point you to a guy that I know who did mine DP to Cat-back weld.
    Carless

CTC said the tricky thing was the divorce plate. Getting that just right...
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

The divorce plate is nice, but is it necessary? I've been wondering about that. Especially if there is little restriction at the point the gas exits the wastegate. What do you think? I'd like a better look at the design Shiv has made.

russ

Originally posted by russ
    The divorce plate is nice, but is it necessary? I've been wondering about that. Especially if there is little restriction at the point the gas exits the wastegate. What do you think? I'd like a better look at the design Shiv has made.

russ
    I would think it would defeat the purpose of a twin dump NOT to have a divorce plate. The wastegate, when it opens, I belive is angled toward the turbine exhaust. Not having a divorce plate would allow the two gas flows to tumble together.

Heck, try without. Then try with. I'd like to know if it makes a REAL difference. It makes sense theoretically, but, who knows.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.