HKS Downpipe Review! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on HKS Downpipe Review! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by S-WRX Thanks for the review Verdugo, I will install mine in approx. 2 weeks, and I can ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by S-WRX
    Thanks for the review Verdugo, I will install mine in approx. 2 weeks, and I can tell you whether or not I hear increase in air noise. From what a lot of people say, the if you run catless there will be an increase sound like the leak sound you described, but I could be wrong.

also, forgot to ask you if you had any CEL fix or just straight swap
    No problem No, no CEL fix...just a straight swap. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I get to drive it around more.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Verdugo, that is a good news
    and if you dont mind to update us if there is "any" CEL later on as you drive more

Thank you!
    Last edited by S-WRX; 08-07-2002 at 11:01 AM.

Verdugo,
    Good review! I should be receiving mine this Friday and will hopefully have my own review to post

I disagree that you "jumped the gun" on this one... you just didn't pay $200-300 for a bellmouth which most people state doesn't make a difference until 400 hp anyways

I'm still pricing a dump tube BTW, looks like the metal can be had (SS w/ mandrel bends) for less than $50... just have to see how much the welding will be.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

I asked German autowerks...and they told me that it will cause CEL in the future. They recommended me to get CEL fix from Pony or somewhere else.
    I will be ordering in a couple dayz and I will install it myself.
    Is there anything I should be aware of installing it myself?
    Also.... do you think this will fit turbo XS' midpipe?
    -soul
    Last edited by soulsweeper; 08-07-2002 at 12:47 PM.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by soulsweeper
    I asked German autowerks...and they told me that it will cause CEL in the future. They recommended me to get CEL fix from Pony or somewhere else.
    I will be ordering in a couple dayz and I will install it myself.
    Is there anything I should be aware of installing it myself?
    Also.... do you think this will fit turbo XS' midpipe?
    -soul
    I don't know if it'll fit the TurboXS midpipe. If the midpipe has the exact same flanges as the stock one, then it probably will, but I have a feeling that it's made to only match up to the TurboXS downpipe. I'm not sure though...
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

I don't think this dp will fit a TXS midpipe because the TXS midpipe is 3" diameter.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Originally posted by Flyboy
    I don't think this dp will fit a TXS midpipe because the TXS midpipe is 3" diameter.
    so is the HKS dp...
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

so this HKS downpipe will give CEL in the future?
    Do you know where I can get one of the CEL fix eliminator?

Thanks in advance

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just got my car back from unichip tuning...oh man...they added more fuel since it was running lean and adjusted the timing to give me more low-end torque and more on the top-end. The bad smell is gone but my GOD it is LOUD, especially with my Blitz SUS back in. Phew...it's a monster now

Verdugo,

Any boost spikes?

russ

S-WRX

I have a pony express mil eliminator. Will sell for $20.00 shipped. Includes ridiculously easy installation instructions.

russ
    Last edited by MisterX; 08-07-2002 at 05:46 PM.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by russ
    Verdugo,

Any boost spikes?

russ

S-WRX

I have a pony express mil eliminator. Will sell for $20.00 shipped. Includes ridiculously easy installation instructions.

russ
    Yeah, I'm getting some spikes...but not any more than what I was getting before. The highest I've spiked is 1.16 bar, which is about 16.82 psi...I'll probably turn it down a little since TurboXS recommends 16.5 max for their Stage 2 setup.

Oh yeah, I should also note that the custom tuning pretty much got rid of all my turbo lag...it feels like an NA car again!

Originally posted by Verdugo
    Just got my car back from unichip tuning...oh man...they added more fuel since it was running lean and adjusted the timing to give me more low-end torque and more on the top-end. The bad smell is gone but my GOD it is LOUD, especially with my Blitz SUS back in. Phew...it's a monster now
    so Verdugo, you have no cats at all huh? Do you like the sound. And you said the bad smell is gone, but is there a noticeable smell of gas at all? Thanks.

Fahd
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

wow, thats nice Verdugo! I also have Blitz SUS, except I am missing Stage2 kit lol, im saving up for that.
    So now that you have it installed, how would you rate this downpipe between 1 - 10 scale?

Russ, I will let you know when I needed it, because I will not be doing the installation until at least another 2 weeks, thanks though!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Okay, a few more impressions after a night of driving.

First off, I give MANY props to Smart Service in Shoreline, WA for their tuning of my unichip. I have NO turbo lag whatsoever. Even if I floor it, it just takes off. A big Suburban was trying to prove something to me and caught me off guard at first, but then I floored it and BAM we were gone.

Since Smart Service is a Cobb Tuning authorized installer, they did some Cobb-style tuning and actually had my unichip control more of the boost. They did tell me that I probably had to turn down my TurboXS ABC, which I should've done earlier. I overboosted A LOT when I floored it on a freeway onramp, with it spiking up to 1.22 bar! A few minutes after that, BOOM, my CEL came on. Oh well, I guess it was going to happen eventually.

I got home, turned down the boost, and now it's just a beast. I drove my cousins home and it's absolutely perfect now. The sound is great (it's like the Blitz SUS got a new loud friend! hehe) but it's definitely super loud, to the point that I don't even think putting my silencer in will help. Perhaps down the road I'll switch to a more quiet cat-back, even though the Nur Spec R sounds so damn good.

I can't really say how much I like it, since I've never been in a car with a different downpipe, but given the great tuning job and the awesome "get the F outta my way" sound, I'm TOTALLY happy with it

Originally posted by gryphon

I disagree that you "jumped the gun" on this one... you just didn't pay
    $200-300 for a bellmouth which most people state doesn't make a difference
    until 400 hp anyways
    I don't know what "most people" you've been talking to but most of the
    tuning people I've talked to about DP designs blame inconsistencies in boost
    and spiking partially on the design of the stock downpipe exhaust flange.
    To say the bellmouth design only makes a difference in the 400 hp range is
    totally false as proven by Turbo XS, Cobb, Scoobysport, BPM, Cascade Autosports, hell ask Shiv and he'll probably agree that significant hp/torque and consistency gains can be had from the bell mouth design. Of course he'll probably really push the divorced waste gate design too. I'm really anxious his new system to come out.

Yes, it is nice to have an affordable downpipe available and I hope it works well for those of you that are going to try it out. I just feel that it will not offer the same kinds of benefits that the other designs will. If the bell mouth design didn't offer gains under 400 hp, why would so many tuners incorporate it into their designs for their lower hp applications?
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.