HKS Downpipe Review! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on HKS Downpipe Review! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hellooooooooo Verdugo...what's taking so long. I'm too excited to be patient. I ran in after work to read your review ...

Hellooooooooo Verdugo...what's taking so long. I'm too excited to be patient. I ran in after work to read your review and I've got nothing. Throw me a freakin' bone here...
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hks downpipe

S-wrx: could you take a pic of the section where it bolts up to the catback. I ordered one from subarustore.com and i will be using the stock catback (resonator intact) however, with a dynomax bullet muffler welded on. I just want to see if it bottle necks or is 3" all the way through. thanks...

verdugo lets hear about it!

Evan

no problem, it is all the way the same diameter. Take a look at the pics, and HKS claims that it bolts right into the stock system (resonator im assuming), I have the stock resonator too, so it better fit in two weeks or else I have to do custom piping again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hks back pic 001.jpg  

Full shot of the downpipe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hks back pic 002.jpg  

pics

Thanks for the pics, I appreciate it. I want my downpipe!

your welcome, I just can't wait to install it, probably going to be extremely loud, so I will swap my exhaust for street use, and swap to HKS hiper for track use
    verdugo keep us updated pleaseeeee

Hello...ello...llo...lo...Verdugo...erdugo...rdugo ...dugo...where are you...ou...u
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just got home after a little test drive and such...I've got pics and a video clip to post...I'll edit my very first post in the thread with the review
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

oh geez, I cant wait, any check engine lights with the downpipe without installing any sort of CEL fix?

As for the smell... welcome to being catless. Your exhaust will always smell like ass, people behind your car will be able to smell it. I could smell Austin's exhaust just cruising behind him. Or was that his exhaust?

Honestly Armin, I think you jumped the gun on that DP. The flat plate design has been cited as the cause for boost spiking in other cars here and WRXs in other parts of the world. You'll probably be able to get Smart Service to tune the inconsistency out, but it'll never perform as well as a bellmouth DP. Good thing it's cheap because I couldn't see spending a ton of cash on something that used the same crappy design as the stock pipe. Can you confirm whether or not it's stainless under the paint? I'm still betting on aluminized mild steel with hi temp paint.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

downpipe

Verdugo~

How is the fit and finish of the piece. Does it fit with well with a stock or aftermarket catback? I will be bolting it up to the stocker. I don't want mine to smell either but that is price you must pay for running catless I guess. Shooting any flames?

Evan

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I might have jumped the gun, but it's cheap and I'm broke Should be fine for now...if I'm really dissatisfied with it, I'll go ahead and get a Godspeed downpipe down the road, so no worries for me.

I couldn't really tell if it was really stainless...I'd put my money on aluminized mild steel too.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: downpipe

Originally posted by imprezence
    Verdugo~

How is the fit and finish of the piece. Does it fit with well with a stock or aftermarket catback? I will be bolting it up to the stocker. I don't want mine to smell either but that is price you must pay for running catless I guess. Shooting any flames?

Evan
    No flames as far as I know, but as you could tell from the video, there was some popping when I revved at idle. We'll see what happens after my unichip is properly tuned for it.

As far as I can tell, it fits just fine. That's why I'm curious about the sound though...I don't know if the sound is from a leak or if that's really just how a catless downpipe sounds.

Read posts from anyone who has put a TXS DP or pretty much any catless DP on. They allow a LOT more noise out. Remember, you don't have any more heat shields and fiberglass batting to dampen the exhaust sounds. Stainless pipe is notorious for being noise DP material. Mild steel is said to be a bit more quiet.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Thanks for the review Verdugo, I will install mine in approx. 2 weeks, and I can tell you whether or not I hear increase in air noise. From what a lot of people say, the if you run catless there will be an increase sound like the leak sound you described, but I could be wrong.

also, forgot to ask you if you had any CEL fix or just straight swap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.