ATTENTION!!! - K&N, ITG, Perrin Drop-in Air Filter Users
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on ATTENTION!!! - K&N, ITG, Perrin Drop-in Air Filter Users within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was reading up on different intakes and air filters and such for our cars, and I stumbled upon quite ...

I Support ClubWRX

ATTENTION!!! - K&N, ITG, Perrin Drop-in Air Filter Users

I was reading up on different intakes and air filters and such for our cars, and I stumbled upon quite a few threads of people having low end throttle response problems. Their cars weren't responding at low rpms like they should. There was one common modification most of them had. They all ran air filters, be it foam or paper, that had dirt trapping oil on them from the factory. A lot of times, these filters come oil-soaked, and when they are installed, some of the excess oil gets sucked upstream and coats the MAF sensor. Since the MAF sensor is such a delicate and important tool used for measuring air, if it is dirty or is coated with oil, it will not be able to do its job effectively.

I also run an ITG filter that came oiled. I have been having low end throttle response problems for as long as I can remember. I have tried to blame these problems on my tuning (UTEC), boost control being too slow(UTEC) so I tried an MBC, intercooler heat soak, intake not pulling in enough air at low speeds, and maybe even the Walbro fuel pump I have. Some of these are way out there, I know. But when I start to have a potential problem, I do sit around and think of every variable that could effect my car.

So this last Thursday, after I was done reading about how a MAF sensor could become dirty, I tried to fix the problem. I took out the MAF on my car and attemted to clean it. This is how I did it:

Take the MAF out of the car and make sure not to touch any of the sensors with your fingers.

Get a plastic sandwhich bag and spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner into it. Enough to cover the sensor portion of the MAF.

Put the MAF into the bag and shake it around.

Take out the MAF and let it air dry.

Re-install it after it is visually dry.

The next morning I started up the car and the car seemed to idle even better than it did before. The low end throttle response was back and the car runs strong now from idle to redline. Mid range throttle reponse was also helped out.

If you run an air filter that came with dirt trapping oil on it, try this MAF cleaning trick. Your car may run a little better than it did before. It worked for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I will have to give this a try tomorrow. I am running a K&N filter.

Is the brake cleaner safe to use on the MAF. I would've thought it to be too corrosive. shrug.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by VetteVert
    Is the brake cleaner safe to use on the MAF. I would've thought it to be too corrosive. shrug.
    That's why you use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or electronics contact cleaner. I beleive the non-chlorinated stuff isn't as harsh as the REAL stuff. I was hesitant to use it to. But I finally said, WTF, and tried it, and it worked.

I Support ClubWRX

I too am a bit nervous about spraying brake cleaner. That stuff can eat through certain plastics. If the goal is to remove oil and dirt from the MAF then would rubbing alcohol be a bit safer?

Like you I have noticed the low end throttle hesitation and run a oiled K&N panel filter.

-- Rich

I Support ClubWRX
    You can go to an auto parts store or Radio Shack and pick up a can of Electronics Contact Cleaning solution and clean it with that if you are still hesitant to use the brake cleaner.

Originally posted by BigRich
    I too am a bit nervous about spraying brake cleaner. That stuff can eat through certain plastics. If the goal is to remove oil and dirt from the MAF then would rubbing alcohol be a bit safer?

Like you I have noticed the low end throttle hesitation and run a oiled K&N panel filter.

-- Rich
    the non Cl brake cleaner is fine, and doesn't harm anything.

it's mostly tolulene, and xylene, fwiw.

ken

I Support ClubWRX
    Knowing all of this about oiled filters and their effects on the MAF, would it be better to just use the stock paper filters or is there a performance penalty for that?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Just cleaned the MAF during lunch with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It specifically said on the label it would not harm plastics. I forgot the name, but it was a green bottle. The red bottle is the harsh stuff.

As suspected the MAF had a fair share of crud on it. After a few sprays and a 5 minute drying time it was re-installed. The metal pieces looked much better afterwards.

Though my drive back to work was short things do seem a bit smoother.

-- Rich

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by BigRich
    Just cleaned the MAF during lunch with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It specifically said on the label it would not harm plastics. I forgot the name, but it was a green bottle. The red bottle is the harsh stuff.

As suspected the MAF had a fair share of crud on it. After a few sprays and a 5 minute drying time it was re-installed. The metal pieces looked much better afterwards.

Though my drive back to work was short things do seem a bit smoother.

-- Rich
    I'm glad it worked for you. Donations can be sent to kurleedaddee@yahoo.com

Didn't know the difference...that's why I asked.

Mind explaining your ziplock bag idea? That better than just spraying them?

VV

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    That's why you use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or electronics contact cleaner. I beleive the non-chlorinated stuff isn't as harsh as the REAL stuff. I was hesitant to use it to. But I finally said, WTF, and tried it, and it worked.

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Didn't know the difference...that's why I asked.

Mind explaining your ziplock bag idea? That better than just spraying them?

VV
    vv, the idea is that the direct spray from the can is a bit too strong, and can damage the fragile thin wire which is the actual maf sensor.

i didn't use a bag, but i sprayed from a decent distance (1.5ft or so) to avoid too much pressure.

ken

I Support ClubWRX
    So...yay or nay for stock-type paper filters?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I used rubbing alcohol ant a q-tip. It worked fine.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.