Importance of an upipe? Do I NEED one?

View Poll Results: Do I really need an Uppipe?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It's a must!

12 85.71%
  • You can do without it!

2 14.29%

This is a discussion on Importance of an upipe? Do I NEED one? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Having just gotten my WRX recently, I'm already trying to plan my mods. It seems everyone's suggestion for a first ...

Importance of an upipe? Do I NEED one?

Having just gotten my WRX recently, I'm already trying to plan my mods. It seems everyone's suggestion for a first mod is an upipe. I spoke to one of the techs at the dealership near me and he said that that is one of the first things they look for when a WRX comes in and he said avoid doing it at all costs. My question is, am I breaking some cardinal rule of WRX tuning by not having one? Here's a list of some of the things i'm looking at getting

Blitz SBC-id v2
    Blitz Auxilary Harness
    TurboXS UniChip or Apexi S-AFC
    Pulley Kit
    Blitz DTT/Apexi Auto Turbo Timer
    Blitz Turbo timer harness
    Whitline Anti-Lift Kit
    Whiteline Rear Sway Bar 22mm Adjustable
    Whiteline Rear Endlinks
    TurboXS Turbo-back Stealth Exhaust
    Samco IC Hoses
    EGT Gauge

Is this a good combo of stuff and do you think the Upipe will be a problem? It seems like all this stuff would be pretty easy to swap out in case of a problem,but an upipe would be hard to get out. Comments.... Opinions.... Facts (these are good). Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the uppipe will reduce your lag from anywhere b/w 500rpms to 900rpms (claims vary) while also reducing egt's significantly.

it will also reduce the risk (a very small risk albeit) that the cat will break up and fly into your turbo.

if you're running boost control, its a good idea.

why is it "one of the first things they look for" ?? look for for what? that sounds weird. dealerships in NH are installing catless pipes for people, FYI.

dR

Need Up-pipe?

My dealership in Irvine, CA recommends installing the up-pipe. Of course it's not necessary, but what is necessary "is in the eye of the beholder".

I'm actually having one installed today (at my dealership). The only detriment I can think of are smog hassles. That's a few years away, so I'll enjoy for now.

Yes, I too am interested at why the "tech" said that's the first thing they look for. Is he discouraging you because of the difficulty of the install or because of something else? Sounds like your dealer isn't very "mod friendly" The uppipe is one of the safest performance mods that you can do to the WRX.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)