Blue smoke after idle

This is a discussion on Blue smoke after idle within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so here is my issue. Any time I let my car sit and idle for more than a minute ...

Blue smoke after idle

Ok so here is my issue.

Any time I let my car sit and idle for more than a minute or so, as soon as I either rev it or get on the throttle I get alot of blue smoke.... This is the only time it happens, as soon as I give it 1-2 decent revs it clears up and goes away. It never happens when im on the throttle and driving, only happens after idle.

The engine has about 50k on it. I remember it doing soemthing similar to this last year when I put too thin of an oil in (0w30 amsoil), I believe it was slipping past the valve seals on idle.

Right now it has 5w30 castrol syntec in it I think, I might try going to AMSoil 10w30, and see what happens.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like your passing oil...could be from the engine or from the turbo...are you still running the same turbo that came with the car? The rumor is turbos go bad around the 50-60k mark. But make sure you have it looked at...I swore I was blowing oil out of my exhaust and I have the same thing,..when I let the car sit it start to smoke a little, but my father and my mechanic friend looked at it and I'm just running ridiculously rich.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

blue smoke = burning oil = bad.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Originally posted by Snowvert
    blue smoke = burning oil = bad.
    Thank you capt. obvious.

Its a stock turbo, but I replaced it once already since I had an extra with 6k miles on it. So this turbo probably only has about 20k on it... if that.

Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
    Thank you capt. obvious.

Its a stock turbo, but I replaced it once already since I had an extra with 6k miles on it. So this turbo probably only has about 20k on it... if that.
    you're welcome captain obvious.

it really doesn't matter if it's a stock turbo or not.

k? thx.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Originally posted by Snowvert
    you're welcome captain obvious.

it really doesn't matter if it's a stock turbo or not.

k? thx.
    well considering the post above yours specifically asked about the stock turbo, it would only make sense that I was writing that part of the post in reply to him, correct?

Anyway, anyone here with some useful information?

Block in oil return line? My frinds car did the same thing you describe, he replaced the line and all is well now.

well considering the post above yours specifically asked about the stock turbo, it would only make sense that I was writing that part of the post in reply to him, correct?

Anyway, anyone here with some useful information?
    no, actually it wouldn't. if you meant it that way, fine. if you are that hung up on it, quote him before you ask, then I would know. good luck.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq

Originally posted by CKxx
    Block in oil return line? My frinds car did the same thing you describe, he replaced the line and all is well now.
    is he on here?

is he on here?
    Nah. Its not a WRX. But his car did the same thing, small smoke trail rising at idea, big puff when he moved it, then clean when driving.

You could pull off the downpipe and check to see if there is oil in it. Turbo seal would probably leak oil all the time though.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

ya ill try that... Im going to check the EGR valve also see if i have anything in it.

I have a 2004 Forester XS with 178k miles. This started after I switched from Mobil ONE to the Subaru full syntetic per by shop recommendation. Idle and blue smore while accelerating. Without smoke there after.

Ideas?