mechanical O2 fix VS MIL eliminator
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on mechanical O2 fix VS MIL eliminator within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the P0420 code and I am trying to determine what is best to do. I head about the ...

mechanical O2 fix VS MIL eliminator

I have the P0420 code and I am trying to determine what is best to do. I head about the Pony express mil eliminator and I was set on buying that but now I have heard there is an easier do it yourself mechanical fix. Is there any advantage in doing the the mechanical fix over the pony express. How do you do it? thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am not aware of the mechanical fix that you are talking about.

Regarding the MIL emil, be aware that this doens't totally fix the problem. This stops the CEL from coming on but the P0420 code comes up as "Not ready". You will not pass if it is not ready.

I have the Perrin Simulator and takes care of the problem 100%. I passed inspection last month.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    On the same note....Im waiting for the cobb accessport, when they say the po420 code is removed, is it totally removed, or does it come up as not ready?

I second OBSESSED
    get the perrin
    all that other stuff is CHEAP CRAP

I got the Helix CEL fix (seems to be the same "cheap crap" as the pony express, I dunno it was free with my DP) and I've verified that the IM flag runs and passes on my (MY02) car.

I don't understand how the Pony Express could just keep the test from running. It doesn't affect the ECU, just filters the input from the rear O2 sensor. The ECU decides when to run the test and if it doesn't like what it sees from the rear O2 it sets a code of some sort (P0420 or otherwise).

I understand that Subaru changed the monitoring regime some for MY04 and the filter may not keep the CEL off all the time on those cars but the test still runs.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Originally posted by chevyeater
    I don't understand how the Pony Express could just keep the test from running. It doesn't affect the ECU, just filters the input from the rear O2 sensor. The ECU decides when to run the test and if it doesn't like what it sees from the rear O2 it sets a code of some sort (P0420 or otherwise).
    It doesn't allow the sensor to be in a "ready" state for some reason. Not sure of the details but it is pretty well documented.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Well, poking around looking for what you were talking about, WRC_Obsessed, I stumbled upon the "mechanical" P0420 fix.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...60#post4813960

I can't see going to all that trouble, but to each thier own.

Didn't find reference to what you were talking about though, WRC_Obsessed. From my OBD2 knowlege, I think you may be talking about IM flags. I'm not sure though. I'd appreciate a link if it isn't too much trouble.
    Last edited by chevyeater; 03-29-2004 at 09:03 PM.
    -Brian.

Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Originally posted by chevyeater
    Didn't find reference to what you were talking about though, WRC_Obsessed. From my OBD2 knowlege, I think you may be talking about IM flags. I'm not sure though. I'd appreciate a link if it isn't too much trouble.
    Here ya go.

Passing Emissions 101
    Rejected for emissions test
    -Brian

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading.

The way we run inspections here in downstate NY, they are just phazing in the checking of the IM flags on OBD2 cars. They way it is going to work is if all the flags are ready (or complete) then you get to skip the tailpipe test. If they are not complete, you get the sniffer.

I've been clearing a P1312 (too lazy to go to Radio Shack) about once every 3 weeks on my car so several of the IM flags are not complete (or ready) currently. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find the ECU criteria for running the catalyst monitoring IM flag on the WRX.

I wonder if the mechanical fix would show the the catalyst monitor as ready. I wonder if the mechanical fix would even reliably keep the CEL off...Fascinating!
    -Brian.

I have the mechanical fix and it has worked wonders with my turboback exhaust. About 50 miles after i installed it i got a CEL. I did the mechanical fix and havent seen one yet. I havent gotten my car inspected yet so im wondering if its going to find the sensor as ready. Im thinking that it should becuase it moved it away from all the extra heat. WISH ME LUCK.
    2003 WRX
    RS*R Turboback, Exhaust Depot Uppipe, Utec, Perrin crank pulley, AEM CAI, propsport egt, Lc-1 Wideband

Quote Originally Posted by fastfox17
    I have the mechanical fix and it has worked wonders with my turboback exhaust. About 50 miles after i installed it i got a CEL. I did the mechanical fix and havent seen one yet. I havent gotten my car inspected yet so im wondering if its going to find the sensor as ready. Im thinking that it should becuase it moved it away from all the extra heat. WISH ME LUCK.
    Not sure if will be "ready". You can go to a local autozone and have them scan for codes. It shouldn't cost you anything and it may save you some trouble in the long run.
    -Brian

The mechanical fix is an ubelievably easy fix. Two 18mm spark plug antifoulers and you just drill through one of them and screw them together then screw the 02 sensor into them, then the whole thing into the bung. I have received no cel, and i have passed emissions no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyeater
    Well, poking around looking for what you were talking about, WRC_Obsessed, I stumbled upon the "mechanical" P0420 fix.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...60#post4813960

I can't see going to all that trouble, but to each thier own.

how is this difficult? it was about $4 for me and i installed it in minutes.

people are so lazy these days
    R.I.P. 2004 WRB WRX
    MODS

so you can pass emissions with the mechanical fix?? Sweet
    I hope your right
    2003 WRX
    RS*R Turboback, Exhaust Depot Uppipe, Utec, Perrin crank pulley, AEM CAI, propsport egt, Lc-1 Wideband

Quote Originally Posted by forsaken
    The mechanical fix is an ubelievably easy fix. Two 18mm spark plug antifoulers and you just drill through one of them and screw them together then screw the 02 sensor into them, then the whole thing into the bung. I have received no cel, and i have passed emissions no problem.
    Have you passed an OBD-II scan?
    -Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.