Could this be knock?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Could this be knock? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving around today and started to notice a "tick" sound coming from my engine. I only heard it ...

Could this be knock?

I was driving around today and started to notice a "tick" sound coming from my engine. I only heard it 2-3 times tonight. It mostly happens around 4k in 2nd and 3rd gear at wot. I've also noticed that my boost is around 12psi in first and 14 for the rest of the gears, is this normal? My only power mods are scoobysport dp, apexi catback, and samco IC pipes. btw its an 04

Last night I got a cel from the downpipe, but reset the ecu and now it is gone. After the reset my car felt slower. Could this be a product of the ecu "learning" and now it is going to pull timing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like an exhaust leak right. Probably just the all to common wastegate flutter your hearing. I heard the same thing when I put on my Scoobysport turbo back. You can fix it by adjusting the diaphram to wastegate rod. For really good instructions on doing this do a search on Nasioc for wastegate flutter. If you have your heatshields removed it's really easy. Doing this will also give you better boost response. Your boost levels are normal.

Yes, after you reset the ECU, the car will be slower till it relearns. If I were you, I'd get the fix for the check engine light. It's been awhile but I think it's Pony Express who makes a great eliminater. Haven't had it come on since I put it on 2 years ago. I can tell you from experience, it won't take long and it'll be on again. I got really tired of looking at that little yellow light and resetting the ECU.
    02 WRX SRP
    85 Mustang GT Convertable

Mods: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1030367&postcount=236

fre

Re: Could this be knock?

Originally posted by Mike1100
    I was driving around today and started to notice a "tick" sound coming from my engine. I only heard it 2-3 times tonight. It mostly happens around 4k in 2nd and 3rd gear at wot. I've also noticed that my boost is around 12psi in first and 14 for the rest of the gears, is this normal? My only power mods are scoobysport dp, apexi catback, and samco IC pipes. btw its an 04

Last night I got a cel from the downpipe, but reset the ecu and now it is gone. After the reset my car felt slower. Could this be a product of the ecu "learning" and now it is going to pull timing?
    As long as it doesn't completely fall flat on its face and flash a CEL hehe. I didn't get any ping warning just misfire Damn fuel pressure regulator hose. Subaru will be figuring out the rest Well it could fall completely on its face but as long as you dont get a solid CEL after it. Misifre is pretty apparent when it occurs. Car jerks and bucks and studders afterwards.
    Last edited by fre; 02-25-2004 at 11:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.