knock?

This is a discussion on knock? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just installed my Vf34,fuel pump,injectors. and im getting some knock! im running the base stage 4 map on my ...

knock?

i just installed my Vf34,fuel pump,injectors. and im getting some knock! im running the base stage 4 map on my uteck and was getting about 18psi so i closed the abc and now im getting about 15.5psi but i still get knock. im about 5000 feet up and only get 91 octane gas, so what can i do to get ride of the knock,maybe octane boost or colder plugs? i cant do any tuning on the map because my laptop took a crap on me and i don't have money for a new 1.
    also i will be installing a FMIC as soon as the where gets nice here!
    any help would be nice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A tune .

SMC

knock

Two words......Alcohol Injection. Plenty of GN's running 20+psi on pump gas, no problem. It just hasn't been pushed in this market....YET.

Just turn the boost down before. Then get a tune.

I third the tune. If you can change the maps though, a good place to start would be retarding the whole timing map 3 degrees(since you're on 91 octane).

peace

SMC

timing

I shouldnt have even said anything.......soon enough you will understand.

Re: timing

Originally posted by SMC
    I shouldnt have even said anything.......soon enough you will understand.
    I haven't seen much for good results with alcohol injection, but one thing is for sure -- if he doesn't have enough money fo ra computer, he can't afford alcohol injection. My dad put water injection in his truck for under $100 and now runs 91 octane pump gas instead of 5 gallons of 104 octane race gas + 93 for the rest per tank.

I've looked and looked and I haven't found any concrete evidence. I'd like to do water injection myself, but I don't have the means to tune it or plan to spend the money on a UTEC and whatnot. In a big block Chevy like my dad's you don't need to do much tuning, but that's not the case in a WRX.

i will get a tune soon but i have to wait until the weather is good. so what can i do in the mean time to get rid of this knock. i took my computer in to a shop to get it fixed after my first post and it will be done in about a week after that i can do some tuning, so what would i need to do to have it run right no 91octane? just retarding the whole timing map 3 degrees? thanks for all the help!
    ryan

SMC

water....no thanks!

Screw water injection.......
    Has maybe 1/6 the potential of the alcohol.
    Whatever you can do tune & boost wise on 104 octane you can do with pump gas & alky. Don't worry...an upcoming "Sport Compact Car" issue will show you the way.