Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have decided to extend the Samco IC hose so that IC could be moved to correctly align with brackets. ...

I have decided to extend the Samco IC hose so that IC could be moved to correctly align with brackets.

I went to Advance auto parts to get a 1 7/8" OD aluminum pipe. Spent 15 min polishing and smoothing out the ends. Problem I encoutered during the install was that I had incorrectly cut the Samco hose, so the hose that comes in contact with a turbo was cut too short. I had to place an order for 1 7/8" 90 degree elbow from the site NRG recommended.

I had tried to make IC fit as is with incorrectly cut hose. It seems 'ok', but I won't push my car until I receive the replacement Samco 90 degree elbow in about a week (it's coming from CA).

IC to TB hose seems a little short, but it doesn't look like it will cause any leak or anything. AC line will need to be bent a little to allow IC to correctly align with brackets.

Last edited by WRXreX; 03-04-2006 at 11:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I will post the picture of installed IC later today. IC is sitting slightly angled, so a longer IC to TB hose may be necessary if you want to do this perfect.

Conclusion:
    If you use existing bracket locations by extending out y-hose, USDM TMIC will sit slightly angled and there is no fix for this unless you fab the brackets. I think having a slightly angled TMIC may help cool down charged air even better.... one alternative is to remove 'black' washer that sits on the mount and replace with something thinner. I am not sure if stock IC also is sitting at an angle...

Last edited by WRXreX; 03-05-2006 at 08:26 AM.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's supposed to sit at angle- maybe not quite that much, but guys have actually shimmed up the rear to get that kind of angle so you should be good to go. You can also buy a longer TB hose- it's a realtively standard diameter- same plave you buy the 90 should have it.

Take some rubber hose (the appropriate diameter) and then split it and put it over the AC line this will insure no rubbing on on the line.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Big Sky WRX, thanks for the suggestion. I think my project is nearly complete.

ps: what's the size of TB hose (ID)?

Anyone knows where I can get a custom fabb kit to install STI ic onto my WRX?
    Or anyone would like to make me custom brackets for this install?
    I'm getting headache reading this thread.

You don't need to fabricate the brackets. However, you will have to order TWO new hoses for a perfect fitment.

1. 90 degree 1 7/8" coupler

http://www.sporthoses.com/parts/FMPr...-max=all&-find

2. longer TB hose

http://www.stylinmotors.com

3. Get used USDM STi air splitter and shroud
    Last edited by WRXreX; 03-05-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Question 06 wrx 06 sti intercooler

My first post really.
    I have an 06 sti ic on the way for my 06 wrx.
    Is this the right thread or what? Has anybody done this?
    I am getting the ic only, no y pipe.
    Just wondering what problems I will encounter. I know I will need a new air splitter and gasket(shroud). I wonder what else?

started a new thread on 06's ic swaps. Thanks.

Since this thread was brought back to life already.... When I got my STI I/C, IT bolted right up to the brackets perfectly with no modification or even wrestling it on there. I got it off a wholesale car at my work, and already had the hose on it. What I/C do you think I have? I have an 02wrx. Do you think that this could be a V7sti JDM I/C? It came of an 03wrx wagon. Plus I have mine angled up about 1 1/4inches. Still fits perfect. Thanks.

Also, I was looking at my buddys 07 limited STI I/C, his is not as "tall" as mine. Is this how all the 06+ wrx/sti I/C's are desigined? Slightly "shorter"? And perhaps a bit wider?
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

thanks for the info. I am now on the right track.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the jdm STi intercooler is slightly larger- from front to back. The USDM intercoolers are slighter smaller- this is due to the fact that they are throttle by wire- the actual throttle body is thicker- the jdm intercooler wouldn't phsically fit in the USDM STi- it would be rubbing severely in the rear.

This is the same reason the USDM intercooler doesn't fit so well in the 02-05 WRX's (should fit fine in the 06+ WRX's as they went to fly by throttle as well)- they chose to leave the hoop scoop hole the same as well as the brackets- instead they simply moved the tabs on the ic slightly forward to compensate for the thicker tb. Now you try and mount the same ic to a throttle by cable WRX and you'll see if fits too far rearward. You have two choices- rework the brackets to orientate the ic correctly or use longer hoses to reach the tb and turbo.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456