Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; good suggestion on the clamps!...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good suggestion on the clamps!
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'm curious why you went with an STi tmic instead of a bar and plate tmic. aren't STI's not supposed to cool as well? well, i'm weighing my options since i need a new i/c and trying to decide between STi or gigantic ebay. both have the bracket problem and a similar hose problem of not being long enough so y this one?
    btw, what would i have to do as far as my stock splitter and hoodscoop?

I Support ClubWRX
    There are pros and cons to finned vs bar/plate, a guy has to weigh them out. If the ebay IC's hold up that's great, I don't think anyone is worried on the STi ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    There are pros and cons to finned vs bar/plate, a guy has to weigh them out. If the ebay IC's hold up that's great, I don't think anyone is worried on the STi ones.
    i read that there are pros/cons to each design but i don't know any of them. i know those ebay ones are something like 20+ pounds though, and i'm pretty sure mine is more like 8-10. maybe its just cuz its huge, but do you know how much the STi i/c weighs?

I Support ClubWRX
    It only weighs a lb or two more than the stocker IIRC

GDR
    SFS Hose
    http://www.aaroadracing.com/shop.net...d=377&catid=70
    I used the 48mm(1.889") size. There's plenty of length on the ends to trim off.

The size was hard to find. Most places go from 1 3/4" to 2" and skip the 1 7/8" or 48mm size. Samco had this size but nobody in the US had it in stock.

http://www.sporthoses.com/parts/FMPr...-max=all&-find
    Sporthoses carries the Samco line but didn't have the 48mm in stock when I checked a few months ago. I would call them direct to check stock. Its 3 weeks to get it from England if they don't have it here.

I got the Samco after about 6 weeks. (I thought I canceled the order) The Samco has a larger raidus in the bend which looks better for flow. But by the time you trim the ends off to fit in this application you have very little straight sections left for your connections. Just by looking the SFS hose has equal or better construction. SFS is whats shown below.

The TD04 is 1.890" with a 1.960" lip. I forgot the numbers but the cast Y is alittle larger than the TD04 outlet. 48mm fit tight on the Y and perfect on the turbo. I've heard of others recommend 2" which is too sloppy for me.

Get rid of the stock hose clamp. It chewed up my sti hose. Get some T bolt clamps or the non preferated hose clamps.[/QUOTE]

I ordered 2" ID hose from this place. I will find out if it fits too sloppy.

http://www.stylinmotors.com/90Elbow.html

if the brackets need to be bent, both D/P side brackets must be bent? Will TMIC be sitting noticeably angled due to bent brackets?

GDR
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX
    if the brackets need to be bent, both D/P side brackets must be bent? Will TMIC be sitting noticeably angled due to bent brackets?
    You don't need to bend anything. The only reason people are bending things is to get the sti y pipe and hose to fit up to the TD04. If you had a VF39 then all the Sti stuff would fit perfect.

My bracket mod was mainly to get the V7 Sti splitter and seal to match the IC.
    You don't need to do that anymore. Just use the US STI seal.

Bugeye JDM V7 scoop and splitter+US STI seal(bellows)
    04-05 Stock scoop( same height as V7 sti) +V7 splitter+US STI seal
    04-05 US STI scoop,splitter and seal

I have found a way to install STi TMIC with Samco I/C hose. In terms of length, it's about the same as stock pipings. However, it's more elastic and allows you to bend it about 1" to create perfect fit. Here is how you do it.

- When installing STi TMIC, turbo -> Y-hose must be connected FIRST. Otherwise you will encounter fitment problem (hose being too short). Once you tightened turbo -> Y-hose clamp, next step is to connect I/C to intake hose. You will find it extremely difficult to make the hose fit due to tight space. One way to resolve this issue is by putting the I/C -> intake hose on the intake manifold side first. Once you tightened the clamp on intake side, then you can slowly make hose fit on the I/C side. You may need to use a screw driver as a lever.

Quote Originally Posted by GDR
    You don't need to bend anything. The only reason people are bending things is to get the sti y pipe and hose to fit up to the TD04. If you had a VF39 then all the Sti stuff would fit perfect.

My bracket mod was mainly to get the V7 Sti splitter and seal to match the IC.
    You don't need to do that anymore. Just use the US STI seal.

Bugeye JDM V7 scoop and splitter+US STI seal(bellows)
    04-05 Stock scoop( same height as V7 sti) +V7 splitter+US STI seal
    04-05 US STI scoop,splitter and seal
    I have STi scoop with USDM TMIC.... do I really need STi seal?

I Support ClubWRX
    A couple of things- the aluminum Y pipe that comes w/ the STi is a dandy- I'd very much hate to give it up. Make sure there are no ristrictions/kinks w/ the Samco, yes it will bend easily, but that could be problematic as well (you need to check carefully).

Yes - you NEED the STi seal- your oem seal is the wrong size and not sealing your IC correctly- having the intercooler sealed correctly is probably one of the most important things in insuring a efficiently running IC

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    A couple of things- the aluminum Y pipe that comes w/ the STi is a dandy- I'd very much hate to give it up. Make sure there are no ristrictions/kinks w/ the Samco, yes it will bend easily, but that could be problematic as well (you need to check carefully).

Yes - you NEED the STi seal- your oem seal is the wrong size and not sealing your IC correctly- having the intercooler sealed correctly is probably one of the most important things in insuring a efficiently running IC
    my installation is using stock samco I/C hose from WRX... when I got my STi TMIC, it came with stock y-pipe from WRX.

Question for GDR, I have used Samco I/C y-hose removed from my WRX IC set up. In terms of hose diameter, etc are they equivalent? Unfortunately, mine didn't come with STi y-pipe.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

GDR
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX
    Question for GDR, I have used Samco I/C y-hose removed from my WRX IC set up. In terms of hose diameter, etc are they equivalent? Unfortunately, mine didn't come with STi y-pipe.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    I'd say they are close enough in dismeter but just like you found out here
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951527
    The hose is too short front to back which is pulling the IC forward and so it doesn't line up with the brackets.

Somebody already did the "Samco Y" mod. Go search for it here or at nabisco. Basically they added a metal pipe extention in the straight section between the Y and 90 to get more length.

Until you get the IC straightened out so it bolts into the brackets without bending or forcing don't bother with any of the factory rubber seals as it won't work with a cockeyed IC.

What exactly do you have on top?

Scoop
    Duct (splitter)
    Bellows (rubber seal)

Like BigSky said don't use the WRX duct and seal. Its too small. The hot side over over your unshieled turbo and dp will get no cooling air flow at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.