Subaru WRX Forum banner

Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC

35K views 85 replies 17 participants last post by  Big Sky WRX 
#1 ·
I pointed out in another thread the USDM STi IC is not a bolt up to the WRX due to the mounting tabs on the IC being forward ~ 17mm (the JDM STi IC- at least the v7 anyways fits w/o problems). I recently found out the reason why- the USDM STi is utilizing a throttle by wire and the TB is ~ 15mm wider.

I've got a spare set of brackets (there the same for the both the Us STi and WRX) to "experiment" with to get this IC to fit.

Here's a pic of the drivers side bracket- you can see how far off 17mm is- I won't simply be slotting the holes:

#53 ·
if the brackets need to be bent, both D/P side brackets must be bent? Will TMIC be sitting noticeably angled due to bent brackets?

#54 ·
WRXreX said:
if the brackets need to be bent, both D/P side brackets must be bent? Will TMIC be sitting noticeably angled due to bent brackets?
You don't need to bend anything. The only reason people are bending things is to get the sti y pipe and hose to fit up to the TD04. If you had a VF39 then all the Sti stuff would fit perfect.

My bracket mod was mainly to get the V7 Sti splitter and seal to match the IC.
You don't need to do that anymore. Just use the US STI seal.

Bugeye JDM V7 scoop and splitter+US STI seal(bellows)
04-05 Stock scoop( same height as V7 sti) +V7 splitter+US STI seal
04-05 US STI scoop,splitter and seal

#55 ·
I have found a way to install STi TMIC with Samco I/C hose. In terms of length, it's about the same as stock pipings. However, it's more elastic and allows you to bend it about 1" to create perfect fit. Here is how you do it.

- When installing STi TMIC, turbo -> Y-hose must be connected FIRST. Otherwise you will encounter fitment problem (hose being too short). Once you tightened turbo -> Y-hose clamp, next step is to connect I/C to intake hose. You will find it extremely difficult to make the hose fit due to tight space. One way to resolve this issue is by putting the I/C -> intake hose on the intake manifold side first. Once you tightened the clamp on intake side, then you can slowly make hose fit on the I/C side. You may need to use a screw driver as a lever.

#56 ·
GDR said:
You don't need to bend anything. The only reason people are bending things is to get the sti y pipe and hose to fit up to the TD04. If you had a VF39 then all the Sti stuff would fit perfect.

My bracket mod was mainly to get the V7 Sti splitter and seal to match the IC.
You don't need to do that anymore. Just use the US STI seal.

Bugeye JDM V7 scoop and splitter+US STI seal(bellows)
04-05 Stock scoop( same height as V7 sti) +V7 splitter+US STI seal
04-05 US STI scoop,splitter and seal
I have STi scoop with USDM TMIC.... do I really need STi seal?

#57 ·
A couple of things- the aluminum Y pipe that comes w/ the STi is a dandy- I'd very much hate to give it up. Make sure there are no ristrictions/kinks w/ the Samco, yes it will bend easily, but that could be problematic as well (you need to check carefully).

Yes - you NEED the STi seal- your oem seal is the wrong size and not sealing your IC correctly- having the intercooler sealed correctly is probably one of the most important things in insuring a efficiently running IC

#58 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
A couple of things- the aluminum Y pipe that comes w/ the STi is a dandy- I'd very much hate to give it up. Make sure there are no ristrictions/kinks w/ the Samco, yes it will bend easily, but that could be problematic as well (you need to check carefully).

Yes - you NEED the STi seal- your oem seal is the wrong size and not sealing your IC correctly- having the intercooler sealed correctly is probably one of the most important things in insuring a efficiently running IC
my installation is using stock samco I/C hose from WRX... when I got my STi TMIC, it came with stock y-pipe from WRX.

#59 ·
Question for GDR, I have used Samco I/C y-hose removed from my WRX IC set up. In terms of hose diameter, etc are they equivalent? Unfortunately, mine didn't come with STi y-pipe.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

#60 ·
WRXreX said:
Question for GDR, I have used Samco I/C y-hose removed from my WRX IC set up. In terms of hose diameter, etc are they equivalent? Unfortunately, mine didn't come with STi y-pipe.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
I'd say they are close enough in dismeter but just like you found out here
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951527
The hose is too short front to back which is pulling the IC forward and so it doesn't line up with the brackets.

Somebody already did the "Samco Y" mod. Go search for it here or at nabisco. Basically they added a metal pipe extention in the straight section between the Y and 90 to get more length.

Until you get the IC straightened out so it bolts into the brackets without bending or forcing don't bother with any of the factory rubber seals as it won't work with a cockeyed IC.

What exactly do you have on top?

Scoop
Duct (splitter)
Bellows (rubber seal)

Like BigSky said don't use the WRX duct and seal. Its too small. The hot side over over your unshieled turbo and dp will get no cooling air flow at all.

#61 ·
GDR, thanks for your reply.

What exactly do I need to get then? JDM STi splitter and shroud (seal)? USDM STi air splitter and shroud won't work on 02 WRX?

One last question. So you are saying that brackets will fit as long as y-hose is fixed? Isn't IC to throttle body hose too short?

#62 ·
somewhat related topic i guess (sorry to hijack). stock wrx ic with an sti hood scoop, splitter and seal - do i use all the sti stuff or will the seal have to be modified to work with my wrx ic or can i use the wrx seal?

#63 ·
If you reread the thread you'll see there are a couple of obstacles to overcome and how you overcome them will dictate what combo you need.

If you bolt the STi intercooler in w/o changing the brackets- your IC is sitting back a little further back than "normal". As you have a 02 you need the jdm splitter to fit your STi scoop- HOWEVER you should get the USDM (v8) seal- as this seal angles slightly rearward.

If you bolt up by chnaging the brackets you've mounted in the "normal" position and you'd want the jdm v7 seal as it comes straight down- doesn't need to angle rearwards.

This holds true w/ the new WRX's as well- the splitter is dictated by the scoop, the seal is dictated by where the IC resides.

subie 04- yes you should use your oe seal or modify the existing one- this will seal your ic properly- you may have to get creative along one edge as the STi splitter has a larger opening (as it was designed for a larger ic.

#64 · (Edited)
Big Sky WRX said:
If you reread the thread you'll see there are a couple of obstacles to overcome and how you overcome them will dictate what combo you need.

If you bolt the STi intercooler in w/o changing the brackets- your IC is sitting back a little further back than "normal". As you have a 02 you need the jdm splitter to fit your STi scoop- HOWEVER you should get the USDM (v8) seal- as this seal angles slightly rearward.

If you bolt up by chnaging the brackets you've mounted in the "normal" position and you'd want the jdm v7 seal as it comes straight down- doesn't need to angle rearwards.

This holds true w/ the new WRX's as well- the splitter is dictated by the scoop, the seal is dictated by where the IC resides.

subie 04- yes you should use your oe seal or modify the existing one- this will seal your ic properly- you may have to get creative along one edge as the STi splitter has a larger opening (as it was designed for a larger ic.
Mine sits a little closer to the TB than "normal"... not further further back than "normal". In this case, which splitter/shroud kit do I need? When you are talking about USDM seal, are you refering to Splitter/seal kit?

#65 ·
Nope- that's "normal"- the mounting tabs on the STi intecooler were moved forward on the side of the intercooler- compare them w/ your oe ones- thus if they are bolted into the brackets- it sits back.

You need the STi v7 splitter.

Are you not going to be mounting the ic to the brackets?

#66 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
Nope- that's "normal"- the mounting tabs on the STi intecooler were moved forward on the side of the intercooler- compare them w/ your oe ones- thus if they are bolted into the brackets- it sits back.

Yes, I will try. I am looking for STi TMIC Y-pipe and longer TB->IC & 6" 90 degree 2 ID" pipe now.

#68 ·
I'm trying to find all the information I need to install and STi tmic and a vf39 on my 06 wrx. So far this thread has been the most beneficial.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but alot of the issues are resolved if I do my vf39 and my tmic at the same time? Looks like I'll still have to fabricate something on the sides, but I don't think that will be too much trouble. Also, is the stock wrx blow-off valve a direct bolt on for the STi tmic? I bought my IC used on nabisco and the guy included the aluminum Y pipe, so I'm good to go there.
Thanks for the input.

worm

#71 · (Edited)
Big Sky WRX,

I have found a way fully extend Samco y-hose by getting a 2" OD aluminum piping. Got this info from scoobymods.com. I am sure you are fully aware of this method.

I will try extending it out about 1-2" and see if it's possible to correctly align the brackets. It may not fully align correctly due to IC to TB hose being too short. Also, AC line may interfere with IC.

I will try this method. Problem is locating this 3.5" 2" OD aluminum piping... :(

#72 · (Edited)
Big Sky WRX said:

Sorry about all these questions. Picture I have posted above... is that mean the IC is sitting correctly as it's suppose to? Are you saying that IC is sitting correctly, but bracket is off by an inch or so?

That being the case, then I shouldn't even bother trying to align IC to that bracket, correct? It's a bracket that I should try to modify.... am I correct? If that's the case, I will just leave it as is since it doesn't really bother me at all. :)

#74 ·
WRXreX said:
Has anyone tried to cut off the mounting tab from STi IC and weld it back to correctly align with WRX bracket? :)
I looked at this and it didn't look doable- the ic is thin and your right into the "guts" of it pretty quick.

Yes you are currently in the "normal" position- you essentially have two choices w/ the STi intercooler- both will work.

One you fab the two mounting brackets so it fits correctly in the "normal" position OR you fashion longer hoses so it fits up to the brackets w/o fabbing.

Which way you go dictates which seal you need- if you fab the brackets than you need the v7 seal- which comes straight down. If you go the hose route then you'd want the v8 seal w/ angles rearward to make the seal (this makes sense as the ic will be sitting slightly rearward).

#76 · (Edited)
I have decided to extend the Samco IC hose so that IC could be moved to correctly align with brackets.

I went to Advance auto parts to get a 1 7/8" OD aluminum pipe. Spent 15 min polishing and smoothing out the ends. Problem I encoutered during the install was that I had incorrectly cut the Samco hose, so the hose that comes in contact with a turbo was cut too short. I had to place an order for 1 7/8" 90 degree elbow from the site NRG recommended. :screwy:

I had tried to make IC fit as is with incorrectly cut hose. It seems 'ok', but I won't push my car until I receive the replacement Samco 90 degree elbow in about a week (it's coming from CA).

IC to TB hose seems a little short, but it doesn't look like it will cause any leak or anything. AC line will need to be bent a little to allow IC to correctly align with brackets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.