Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The drivers side I took out a 17mm section in the most straight portion and rewelded it. Like so:...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The drivers side I took out a 17mm section in the most straight portion and rewelded it. Like so:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dssidebyside.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Finally!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stiicinstalled.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Good job That is right along the lines of what I was thinking. How does the car feel with it? Notice any difference?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by trainrex
    Good job That is right along the lines of what I was thinking. How does the car feel with it? Notice any difference?
    Old Man Winter hasn't let go yet, so I haven't had a chance to push it. I put the splitter in yesterday as well. I've got a spray setup to get in next.

Should be nice insurance though, particularily at the track.

Big Sky

Nice! This should be very helpful to the many of us that want USDM takeoff stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    The USDM ics have come down in price- some pretty good bargains around. What would be really nice if a vendor came up w/ prefabbed brackets- I'm guessing folks would buy them.

Interestingly I test drove a XT a while back and noticed that they have a small ic and was thinking the WRX ic would be perfect, but they would have just the opposite problem- the brackets would have to be adjusted 17mm further back- which I think would prove easier. Ofcourse they could pony up the cash and the USDM would drop right in.

Big Sky

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    What would be really nice if a vendor came up w/ prefabbed brackets- I'm guessing folks would buy them.

Big Sky
    Hint Hint....

GDR
    Mabe this would help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixture2.jpg  

GDR
    To make this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stock vs mod ic bracket.jpg  

Cool! You made that piece on the right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you moved the one mounting hole forward- did you do the same on the other mounting hole? I was thinking if you moved only one hole the bracket would be canted.

That looks like a completely new piece- is it? Wow!

I take it your going to do the driver's side as well?

Good work- makes mine look a little plain jane

Big Sky

GDR
    Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    Looks like you moved the one mounting hole forward- did you do the same on the other mounting hole? I was thinking if you moved only one hole the bracket would be canted.

That looks like a completely new piece- is it? Wow!

I take it your going to do the driver's side as well?

Good work- makes mine look a little plain jane

Big Sky
    I cut the whole end off(see line on stock bracket) and slid it down 17mm. I added more metal and alot weld. Ground ererything down for the OEM look.

I did the first one by hand.Took alot of tweaking to get it into shape. I just made the fixture. It has the stock bracket mounted.I just cut and relocate to the 2nd set of holes. It should hold everyhting straight and right at the 17mm offset with the correct angle. The drivers side is cut and welded just like yours. I had to crop my picture alot to get it on here.

If you look at the two brackets the right one(modded) is the so called STI bracket I got with my IC. It is a different stamping but the holes are all in the same place as my 03.

I'm going to start making these for anybody who would like one. I will be doing the mods on your brackets. I would like to get a extra set so I can have a pair ready and just do a exchange to cut down on down time. PM me for details.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good deal. A lot of guys have been waiting for someone to come up w/ a fix, they don't have to mess w/. If I know of anyone- I'll send them your way.

Never noticed the different stamping between the two pieces (WRX vs STi), but like you said it's of little matter as the holes are in the same spot.

Big Sky

Originally posted by GDR

I'm going to start making these for anybody who would like one. I will be doing the mods on your brackets. I would like to get a extra set so I can have a pair ready and just do a exchange to cut down on down time. PM me for details.
    Very cool of you to step up to the plate. I see you are in Corona, me too. When I get ready to upgrade can I come and watch the process?

GDR
    Originally posted by PKer
    Very cool of you to step up to the plate. I see you are in Corona, me too. When I get ready to upgrade can I come and watch the process?
    Well I do them at work but you can come down and see the IC in the car if you are interested in doing the swap. I'm in Horsethief Canyon.

Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.