Subaru WRX Forum banner

Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC

35K views 85 replies 17 participants last post by  Big Sky WRX 
#1 ·
I pointed out in another thread the USDM STi IC is not a bolt up to the WRX due to the mounting tabs on the IC being forward ~ 17mm (the JDM STi IC- at least the v7 anyways fits w/o problems). I recently found out the reason why- the USDM STi is utilizing a throttle by wire and the TB is ~ 15mm wider.

I've got a spare set of brackets (there the same for the both the Us STi and WRX) to "experiment" with to get this IC to fit.

Here's a pic of the drivers side bracket- you can see how far off 17mm is- I won't simply be slotting the holes:

#27 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
Looks like you moved the one mounting hole forward- did you do the same on the other mounting hole? I was thinking if you moved only one hole the bracket would be canted.

That looks like a completely new piece- is it? Wow!

I take it your going to do the driver's side as well?

Good work- makes mine look a little plain jane:)

Big Sky
I cut the whole end off(see line on stock bracket) and slid it down 17mm. I added more metal and alot weld. Ground ererything down for the OEM look.

I did the first one by hand.Took alot of tweaking to get it into shape. I just made the fixture. It has the stock bracket mounted.I just cut and relocate to the 2nd set of holes. It should hold everyhting straight and right at the 17mm offset with the correct angle. The drivers side is cut and welded just like yours. I had to crop my picture alot to get it on here.

If you look at the two brackets the right one(modded) is the so called STI bracket I got with my IC. It is a different stamping but the holes are all in the same place as my 03.

I'm going to start making these for anybody who would like one. I will be doing the mods on your brackets. I would like to get a extra set so I can have a pair ready and just do a exchange to cut down on down time. PM me for details.

#28 ·
Good deal. A lot of guys have been waiting for someone to come up w/ a fix, they don't have to mess w/. If I know of anyone- I'll send them your way.

Never noticed the different stamping between the two pieces (WRX vs STi), but like you said it's of little matter as the holes are in the same spot.

Big Sky

#29 ·
GDR said:

I'm going to start making these for anybody who would like one. I will be doing the mods on your brackets. I would like to get a extra set so I can have a pair ready and just do a exchange to cut down on down time. PM me for details.
Very cool of you to step up to the plate. I see you are in Corona, me too. When I get ready to upgrade can I come and watch the process?

#34 ·
Rice Boi said:
-GDR

So only the brackets (from the STi Intercooler) need to be modified for the USDM 04' STI intercooler to fit the regular WRX (I have 02')? The piping and hoses should fit just fine?

So how much are you looking to charge for the braket mod?
Your brackets and the 04/05 USDM brackets are one in the same, either would both need to be modified. Piping/hoses fit fine.

Can't answer the last question.

#37 ·
I'm been thinking. If you have a 04/05 WRX you should be able to bolt in to stock brackets is its in the STi set back position. Run with 04 STi scoop and splitter for a factory fit. All you need to do is the longer hoses to hook it up.

Just need someone with a 04 to check it out.

Hmmmmm:D

#38 ·
Hmmm- if only someone had an 04 now;)

I did have the IC out a couple of weeks ago (installed Samco hoses) and it appeared the brackets were the same as I had on my 02. The 04's still have throttle cables so I don't think they are setback like the STi and Forester (fly by throttle).

If there's something I can measure or snap a pic of let me know. I'll eventually be upgrading to the STi intercooler again sometime in the future I'm sure.

BTW I never noticed my splitter not sealing properly- as near as I could tell it looked like it was seating properly (ofcourse as you slowly close the hood the view becomes tougher to see).

Mike

#40 ·
The WRX Y pipe will bolt up and come out in almost the same position. It may even fit better. The US STi elbow does come out alittle shorter and dosen't slip over the turbo as mush as stock.

Half of my reason for getting the this IC was getting the better Y pipe with it. If you already got silicon IC hoses on your WRX you are not really going to notice much improvement with the US STi IC.

#43 · (Edited)
so I shouldn't have any fitment issue with STi TMIC on my 02 WRX with Samco I/C hoses as long as brackets are modified? Why are people complaining about having to add a longer tubing from turbo to IC?

#44 ·
If you fab the appropriate brackets you'll be able to reuse the TB and BPV hoses- you need to use the Y piece (most of it's aluminum) that comes w/ the intercooler.

If you don't modify the brackets, then most use longer hoses to make up for the fitment problem.

#45 · (Edited)
I don't know what the hell happened but I just tried to fix the links and ended up with a whole new post.
Just go down to #51 for the working links.
I truely suck at the internetS!!

http://www.aaroadracing.com/shop.ne...id=377&catid=70
I used the 48mm(1.889") size. There's plenty of length on the ends to trim off.

The size was hard to find. Most places go from 1 3/4" to 2" and skip the 1 7/8" or 48mm size. Samco had this size but nobody in the US had it in stock.

http://www.sporthoses.com/parts/FMP...&-max=all&-find
Sporthoses carries the Samco line but didn't have the 48mm in stock when I checked a few months ago. I would call them direct to check stock. Its 3 weeks to get it from England if they don't have it here.

I got the Samco after about 6 weeks. (I thought I canceled the order) The Samco has a larger raidus in the bend which looks better for flow. But by the time you trim the ends off to fit in this application you have very little straight sections left for your connections. Just by looking the SFS hose has equal or better construction. SFS is whats shown below.

The TD04 is 1.890" with a 1.960" lip. I forgot the numbers but the cast Y is alittle larger than the TD04 outlet. 48mm fit tight on the Y and perfect on the turbo. I've heard of others recommend 2" which is too sloppy for me.

Get rid of the stock hose clamp. It chewed up my sti hose. Get some T bolt clamps or the non preferated hose clamps.

#47 ·
i'm curious why you went with an STi tmic instead of a bar and plate tmic. aren't STI's not supposed to cool as well? well, i'm weighing my options since i need a new i/c and trying to decide between STi or gigantic ebay. both have the bracket problem and a similar hose problem of not being long enough so y this one?
btw, what would i have to do as far as my stock splitter and hoodscoop?

#49 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
There are pros and cons to finned vs bar/plate, a guy has to weigh them out. If the ebay IC's hold up that's great, I don't think anyone is worried on the STi ones.
i read that there are pros/cons to each design but i don't know any of them. i know those ebay ones are something like 20+ pounds though, and i'm pretty sure mine is more like 8-10. maybe its just cuz its huge, but do you know how much the STi i/c weighs?

#51 ·
SFS Hose
http://www.aaroadracing.com/shop.net/product-detail.aspx?prodid=377&catid=70
I used the 48mm(1.889") size. There's plenty of length on the ends to trim off.

The size was hard to find. Most places go from 1 3/4" to 2" and skip the 1 7/8" or 48mm size. Samco had this size but nobody in the US had it in stock.

http://www.sporthoses.com/parts/FMPro?-db=samcoproducts.fp5&-lay=cgi&-format=/samco/parts/type.html&-op=eq&partlabels::id=3&-sortfield=pricelist&-max=all&-find
Sporthoses carries the Samco line but didn't have the 48mm in stock when I checked a few months ago. I would call them direct to check stock. Its 3 weeks to get it from England if they don't have it here.

I got the Samco after about 6 weeks. (I thought I canceled the order) The Samco has a larger raidus in the bend which looks better for flow. But by the time you trim the ends off to fit in this application you have very little straight sections left for your connections. Just by looking the SFS hose has equal or better construction. SFS is whats shown below.

The TD04 is 1.890" with a 1.960" lip. I forgot the numbers but the cast Y is alittle larger than the TD04 outlet. 48mm fit tight on the Y and perfect on the turbo. I've heard of others recommend 2" which is too sloppy for me.

Get rid of the stock hose clamp. It chewed up my sti hose. Get some T bolt clamps or the non preferated hose clamps.[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.