Help! Can't get the I/C back on
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help! Can't get the I/C back on within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am finishing my ScoobySport Stage 1+ install, and we can't seem to get the stock intercooler back on. The ...

Help! Can't get the I/C back on

I am finishing my ScoobySport Stage 1+ install, and we can't seem to get the stock intercooler back on. The problem is the small plastic hose DOES NOT want to go back on to the turbo. We hit up the turbo with a little grease to help it slide on, even hooked some chord onto that strange plastic hook to pull the hose onto that metal port. No luck, we even removed that big diameter but short rubber hose into the intake manifold so we have a straight shot. My silicone hoses may come soon, but I need to drive this thing tomorrow! Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take a heat gun (a hair dryer may do) and warm up the end of the Y pipe until it's good and flexible (don't melt it). It will flex a lot easier when you push it over the turbo, that way. Also, lubricate the inside of the Y pipe and ourtside of the turbo with some soapy water. It's slick, evaporates away and won't weaken the plastic later. Good luck.

Leo
    "Stupid should hurt."

Not that this will help (the heat gun should) but I would suggest getting some silicone IC hoses (Perrin or Samco). They give a small HP increase, smotth the car out a bit, make uninstall and install of the IC so much easier, and they are much more durable than the plastic stock hoses. A great mod for $130 or so.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

gets some rope and put it around the intercooler hose and pull it towards the turbo.......

doing it by hand, its really hard to get the hose back on the turbo, and your not at the right angle to put it on

so loop around the hose, pull it straight inline with the turbo and it should fit good...

I think the hairdryer is an excellent idea.
    Good luck!

The best way to do this is to use a screwdriver to pry it on. They provided a bracket on the stock hose for this sole purpose, it works like a charm. If anyone has a pic you'll see it.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

It's at the top of the hose in this pic.

(IMO silicone hoses are harder to put back on that stock [using a screwdriver and bracket])

You will need a long screwdriver or metal pole or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aaa.jpg  
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

two new problems

Yeah, I ordered those silicone hoses 3 days ago, I just wanted to get everything else back in first.

Well, turns out my friend got it on while I was posting so thanks for the help anyways. Now I have 2 more problems to troubleshoot with my UP/DP install.

1) I have an exhaust leak between the DP and Midpipe. This is without a doubt caused by the fact that I am using an old gasket and also I don't have the bolt in (the stud is in). I cannot for the life of me get that dumb bolthole to line up. I tried pressing and even jacking up the flange on the midpipe but it will not align with the downpipe. I thought maybe I could drive to a muffler shop and see what they could do for me- but I don't want to.

2) No boost! Up on jackstands and ramps, I turned on my car just to see what would happen. Mind you, I have a leak at the bottom of the DP. But when I rev it up to 5k, it doesn't get any positive boost pressure, and it almost whistles like a BOV or something. And also strangely, when it revved it up to 3k it would not rev back down at 2k it hung there for 2 sec.... doesn't make any sense.

Despite all this I do not have a check engine light, and I don't hear anything that sounds like an UP or DP/turbo leak (whatever that sounds like). Any ideas? Thanks.

Zem
    No load, no boost.

Exhaust leak in the low pressure? Fuhgeddaboudit.
    Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
    -John Adams

I'm not sure you'll see boost just revving the car on the jackstands. The engine needs to be under load to produce boost. Take it for a spin and see if you still have no boost.

Originally posted by Zem
    No load, no boost.

Exhaust leak in the low pressure? Fuhgeddaboudit.
    Hey Zem, not trying to be a smart-azz but I'm pretty sure that I have seen boost just revving the engine in neutral.

Is your second statement supposed to mean that the DP to MP leak would be the source of my lack of boost? Please elaborate, I am confused and slightly frustrated right now.

If it weren't for the sweet sweet sound it makes when it idles I would be a mess right now...

You won't see boost in neutral (maybe 1psi) but not any more than that.

Really? Maybe all that time I saw boost while revving the engine I was in 1st gear with the clutch in. I forgot the new "smart" manuals monitor what gear your in and tell it to the ECU. Thanks for the tip, I still need to fix that leak however. Maybe I can post up a pic to show how close it is. Dang it. I used a hydraulic jack to lift the flange of the midpipe and that didn't even help. Maybe loosening the motor mount???

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    You won't see boost in neutral (maybe 1psi) but not any more than that.

+1.
    Catalytic converters are for hippies.

I agree, you won't see ANY boost increase over 0 until you place load on the engine.

This confused the snot out of me during my boost gauge installation. Taking it for a spin solved the issue.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.