Why the IHI VF35 is most overlooked and underrated turbo...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why the IHI VF35 is most overlooked and underrated turbo... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When tuners build a power package, it's HP that sells kits. There is no doubt about that. How's the car ...

Arrow Why the IHI VF35 is the most overlooked and underrated turbo...

When tuners build a power package, it's HP that sells kits. There is no doubt about that. How's the car going to drive on your way to work everyday? That depends on torque. Old saying: "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." So why is the venerable IHI VF35 overlooked so much? Well, for starters supply and demand have made it one of the more expensive IHI turbos. Since IHI builds solely based on demand, the 35 still fetchs almost $1000 even today. So why not get a VF34 instead, right? Maybe not. If you drive an automatic, the VF35 is a far better choice.

I've taken a look at a few dyno plots for the 34 vs. 35 and the VF35 continues to impress me. It provides a near flat torque curve from very low in the rev range and pulls almost all the way to redline. ALSO, you can run it on STOCK FUELING and still reap a lot of the benefits of running a "bigger turbo." The VF35 uses a unique bearing and exhaust housing and spools VERY VERY fast, just as the TD04 does, but can handle 18.5 psi on track days (with fueling).

VF35 Just Installed - Initial Impression
    Want a Streetable Turbo...Shouldn't I Get a VF-35?

I'd like to hear some IHI VF35 owners chime in on this thread. I think the VF35 does not get the credit it deserves. If I can build some interest in this turbo, I'm going to run a groupbuy.

-Jim
    Last edited by PPMotorsports; 01-04-2004 at 03:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why don't you just wait a few months? The vf34 was 1500 a year ago, now look...... It's about supply and demand like you say. You can get a vf23 for a lot less then a vf35, and it would probably perform about the same. If you're lookin for a quick spoolin turbo though, and don't care so much about the price, pe has a 1414 and 1418 which are ment for road/autocross driving. They cost about 1300 which imo is way worth it, and will probably outspool and outflow the vf35(maybe not)......

Most people are just sick of ihi turbos. When you really think about it, the only time you really get a significant amount of power from an ihi turbo over the stock one is above 5000rpm. If you don't change your fuel system, you might not even get that. You say that hp sells, and it does, but as you increase boost especially with a bigger turbo, you get more torque, not just more power. I dunno, there's a turbo for everyone I guess.....

peace

Originally posted by hippy78
    Most people are just sick of ihi turbos. When you really think about it, the only time you really get a significant amount of power from an ihi turbo over the stock one is above 5000rpm. If you don't change your fuel system, you might not even get that.
    the VF 30, 34 and 35 all are at full boost at or below 4K rpms. i think you're referring to the PE turbos, which are IHI frankensteins.

and what information do you have on the PE 14 series? i've never seen a compressor map. and no one sells them. there's no proof that it is even potentially viable for the EJ205.

dR

no I'm not, I was stating that you might get 10lbft more torque with a vf35 before 5000 rpm over a stock turbo. The stock turbo dies at about 5000rpm 15.5psi of boost, and that's where a bigger turbo(like the vf35) really shows the size difference.... I wasn't saying that the stocker got more at 3000rpm, I was saying that the only difference worth paying for with the turbo(over keeping the stocker) is actually above 5000rpm. I wouldn't pay $1000 for a turbo if I wasn't gonna get a fuel upgrade cause there wouldn't be $1000 or even 400 difference. That's all just my opinion though. I mean if the stock turbo held boost to redline, this person probably wouldn't be lookin for a turbo.......

Also, I have no info on pe1414 or 1418 turbos and I've never seen one in my life. I kinda trust the company and think they make good products. Here is a place that does sell the pe1414 and 1418.

http://www.turbometrics.com/pricelist.html

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 01-04-2004 at 02:58 PM.

yea, to say that the 34 doesnt get a good deal more power than stock under 5k is rediculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    yea, to say that the 34 doesnt get a good deal more power than stock under 5k is rediculous.
    Agreed.

My customers are not "sick of IHI turbos."

IHI is Subaru's manufacturer of choice for a reason. They are absolutely top notch pieces of machinery. The only reason the WRX has a Mitsu TD04L is emissions. PERIOD.

-Jim

My customers are not "sick of IHI turbos."
    I'm sure you don't mind sellin them either. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I was just trying to point out that there are much cheaper turbos then the vf35(like the vf23) which will work as well. Like you said, the vf35 doesn't cost more cause it's better, it costs more cause it's new........ Is the vf35 underrated, or overpriced?

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 01-04-2004 at 03:13 PM.

I'm sure you don't mind sellin them either
    Not at all. I take some crap from the "big turbo" guys about pushing IHI turbos, but I love them and I've never had a customer complain about an IHI installation or purchase.

-Jim

i love my 34!

but for christ sakes can we get back to the 35s. I have not heard much about them.

Peter North > *

That's kinda funny, cause I've heard lots of people complain about their ihi turbos. Sorry to hijack your thread, I just figured you might want to think about a different turbo since the vf35 is so pricey for what it is. Eh...

pece

That's kinda funny, cause I've heard lots of people complain about their ihi turbos. Sorry to hijack your thread, I just figured you might want to think about a different turbo since the vf35 is so pricey for what it is. Eh...

pece

he admitted the price difference, hence why he was looking to get a group buy together if people are interested, to lower the price.

Peter North > *

God
    Originally posted by PPMotorsports
    Not at all. I take some crap from the "big turbo" guys about pushing IHI turbos, but I love them and I've never had a customer complain about an IHI installation or purchase.

-Jim
    LOL! Sorry Jim. Anything under 300 whp just is darn slow for me. I like the VF34 a lot for milder guys who don't want much lag.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by God
    LOL! Sorry Jim. Anything under 300 whp just is darn slow for me. I like the VF34 a lot for milder guys who don't want much lag.
    Dan, you are like my polar opposite in turbo selection. I ran my VF30 on stock fuel and liked it. I'm probably going to run the VF35 on stock fuel next and then go to a FMIC, with STi injectors, pump, and Greddy eManage or Vishnu Xede. I want to try out some non-TXS alternatives to tuning.

It's very difficult to drive a laggy car in dirt and gravel.

-Jim

first and last warning

Steer this thread back on topic. Hippy. check your pm box.

dR

If you're lookin for a quick spoolin turbo though, and don't care so much about the price, pe has a 1414 and 1418 which are ment for road/autocross driving. They cost about 1300 which imo is way worth it, and will probably outspool and outflow the vf35(maybe not)......
    Also, I have no info on pe1414 or 1418 turbos and I've never seen one in my life. I kinda trust the company and think they make good products.
    hippy. what the hell are you talking about?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.