Catch Can install?

This is a discussion on Catch Can install? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Let play a game: is the catch can installed correctly!? The can is at the upper left where the boost ...

svc

Question Catch Can install?

Let play a game: is the catch can installed correctly!? The can is at the upper left where the boost solenoid was. I gave up searching, and for some reason this install is still boggling my mind... uppipe, no problem, catch can? catch can't!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails catch can install.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Catch Can install?

Originally posted by srvc
    catch can? catch can't!

for whatever reason, that was hillarious to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

svc

Re: Re: Catch Can install?

Originally posted by ebr0t
    for whatever reason, that was hillarious to me...
    I serisouly hate this thing! I think I just need to brush up on crankcase ventilation or something. Hopefully the two hoses I semi-guessed at were right.

I dunno how many taps everyone else has, but I think you're missin one. If you look in your pic, to the left of the throttle body and a little below is a plastic fitting. One end vents to the turbo inlet pipe, one goes back to the engine..... I tapped the one going to the inlet pipe as well as the ones you tapped, is that correct?

svc
    I took off a single bent hose and connected the can hoses to what both ends of the removed hose would have connected to...one on the inlet pipe, one on the "rail" in front of the intercooler. But I just noticed another hose coming out of the inlet pipe about 4 inches away from the turbo- didn't touch that one...

Yeh, what I did was, took the part from 4" from the turbo, capped the part on the inlet pipe. Got a hose going from the plastic piece to where the hose came off the metal pipe(which has both side taps going into it) in front of the intercooler and put them together with a t piece, then sent it to the catch can. I dunno if this is right, but it works.

It looks right but I really have no idea, but have you looked at these?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ight=Catch+Can

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ight=catch+can

the pcv connector on the inlet pipe is that plastic part that I broke off of my inlet...the one closest to the turbo
    Last edited by mourning_air; 12-20-2003 at 09:45 PM.
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

here's an explaination from perrin about the pcv connection:
    Reply from Perrin

I sent an email to Perrin asking why their catch can only vented the valve cover and not the crankcase. I also pointed them to this thread. Here is their reply and they said I could post this to the boards:

Scott,
    About the hose routing, yes there are 2 different hoses to route to the can, the valve cover hose and the crank case hose. Both of these emit the same type of vapor, which can run through the catch can. We don't tell people to hook it up to the PCV or crank vent for 2 different reasons.

First understand that coming off the crank vent, is a tee that goes to the PCV, and to the inlet pipe.

1. the PCV hose pulls too much vacuum that can cause issues, (emissions related, and other things) so capping off this one is not good, nor is capping the other vent.

2. the vent the goes to the inlet pipe can be hooked up, but we don't supply the parts to do so, because our inlet pipe comes with the hose and tee to do so.

Definitely don't cap off one or the other, or both, that can cause your engine to ingest oil and it will cause too much blow by.

Vacuum from the PCV directly, is good for your engine. It helps the engine "breath" while coming off of boost and under idle conditions. NASCAR uses separate vacuum pumps to help with this "breathing".

If you would like to hook up the crank case vent (the hose going to the inlet pipe, not the PCV), you will need to get a 1/2 tee and some hose. Then you can run that hose into the valve cover vent hose that already is hooked to the catch can. Just make sure you don't block off the PCV, or hook that up to the can.

Also the vapor and oil that gets sucked through the PCV is
    introduced into the manifold after the intercooler. So there is no risk of oil getting into the IC, and IC pipes, which will cause the IC to be less efficient.

This is always hard to explain via email.

Jeff Perrin
    PERRIN Performance
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

svc
    So according to perrin I don't want to hook it up to the PCV hose (closest to the turbo?) Unless I use 2 catch cans, one for valve cover and one for crankcase...
    That thread on nasioc is where all my confusion started, makes my head hurt

svc
    This is how perrin does it...looks good to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails catch_can.jpg  

Originally posted by srvc
    This is how perrin does it...looks good to me
    Yes, it looks fine except that you are only venting the valve covers and not the crankcase blow-by (which from my meager understanding contains most of the oil and junk that is deposited into the intake tract). So if you really wanted to get everyting you will want to run the crankcase blow-by into the catch-can inlet via a T connection. Just unplug the hose hose the connects to the turbo inlet pipe closest to the turbo, cap off the turbo pipe inlet, and splice that hose via a T-connection into your catchcan inlet. Piece of cake. Perrin's explanation doesn't really give a good reason why not to do this. They just say they don't. I think I read a statement from Perrin mentioning that their can could collapse due to the pressure differences when attached to the PCV (crankcase) line. Of course, their can looks to be made of silicone tubing... so that might expain that. If you have a solid can you wouldn't have to worry about such things.

Apparently Perrin has a "catch can support" that keeps the silicone can from collapsing. Just got my perrin can in today. .instructions list it as optional. i plan on calling them for more info and probably get one. i plan on going with two cans rather than splice and or plug anything up. Any 06's with cans installed? pics?

so after you cut the hose, you place a plastic hose adapter into the hose that comes off the intercooler. I understand that. trying to understand where the second plastic hose adapter goes. only way i see to do that is to take the other cut side of the hose off the turbo inlet pipe and flip it around, but it seems like the hose gets fatter at one end to strech over the inlets nipple. Will the end where you made the cut stretch over the inlet nipple? I bought the perrin one and it didnt come with any hose elbows. i just want to make sure i understand everything before I start cutting hoses.

Also, on my 06, it won't fit where the can is in the STi above. So far, the only place it will seem to fit well is in the turbo area. there are 2 M6 threaded holes on the shock tower near the brake lines. I just need to fab up a bracket. thinking about mounting it like a fire extinguisher. Vertical bracket screwed into the M6 threaded holes, with a big hose clamp securing the CC to the bracket. So if you've seen the Perrin CC with the 2 hose clamps securing the silicone body to the billet top and bottom; the completed install look like the CC has 3 hose clamps around it, mounted vertically to the shock tower. This is the cleanest install that i have come up with. I will remove the tape i used to protect the paint while experimenting with mounting options.

Any 06's with a Perrin CC installed? Pics would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 05-05-2007 at 04:30 PM.

damn, i was just thinking about the gravity factor. If I place the CC back where the turbo is, the oil will have to travel slightly uphill through the hose after making a left U-turn (loooking down at the engine bay) after comming off the intercooler. is there enough pressure in the hose to push the oil up the slight incline into the CC? Or do you have to have the CC lower than the intercooler???

here's a pic of what i've done so far. Nothing permanent b/c I used factory threaded holes. This look like a possible mounting location? too close to the turbo?
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 05-05-2007 at 04:23 PM.

got everything in today. Even had enough left over hose to replace the radiator reservoir hoses.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 09-24-2007 at 08:08 PM.