catback questions...ive searched, i promise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on catback questions...ive searched, i promise within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok guys, ive done my homework, and havent been able to find definite answers, even with all the threads around ...

catback questions...ive searched, i promise

ok guys, ive done my homework, and havent been able to find definite answers, even with all the threads around here about exhausts. i also know exactly what qualities i want, i just dont know which brand to go for. keep in mind, that for now my car is entirely stock. i dont plan on going past a cobb stg 2 setup, and might not even go above a cobb stg 1 with just a catless uppipe. the qualities im looking for are as follows

1) 2.5" piping
    2) 304 grade stainless steel ( i live in AZ, does this matter?)
    3) i dont want to drone on the freeway, but i like sound, so a quiet exhaust isnt a huge concern. im sure it cant be too loud since i still have all 3 cats, and will probably never have less then 2 hooked up.

I preferably want a dual tip, because i dont want one huge tip hangin off the back of my car. ive heard many good things about the scoobysport catback, but i got conflicting info about whether its a dual tip or single tip. if scoobysport is really that great, and comes with a dual tip, that will be my choice, but i would like some input as to what you guys recommend for the best gains, and not super quiet. im not expecting large gains from just a catback, but a lil low end and top end is always appreciated. thx all.
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stromung. 2.5", dual tip, SS.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

thats it?

...i gets no luv
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

Originally posted by snict
    thats it?

...i gets no luv

thats one of the few catbacks with dual tips... the perrin is dual also but i dont know of size, but it is LOUD
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Who makes the perrin, though? Or is it one of the products that they actually DO make?

*Not to be a jack-ass question or offensive in any way.

Originally posted by Chunks
    Who makes the perrin, though? Or is it one of the products that they actually DO make?

*Not to be a jack-ass question or offensive in any way.

Understandable question, but I do not know, however ive heard very good things about it from Garret.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

ok, so far we've got stromung as a possibility? Perrin is a full 3" system, and way more money than i wanna spend. over $700 for a catback . Does nobody know if scoobysport has a dual tip muffler? i would get a single tip if it looks/sounds good, but i dont like that huge round can/tip hangin off the back of the car look. any others that im missing? MRT is too quite from what most people say.

Does nobody know if scoobysport has a dual tip muffler?
    Yes, they do. See it at http://www.rallyperformance.com/engi...port%20Exhaust

I've done alot of bleeding on this topic too. I think exhaust is the most difficult and personal choice you can make for our cars. I'm leaning toward the B&B. It's pricey (700+), but for this mod, I'm going to get what I want. (Within reason )

Search it on nabisco, if you're interested.

just my .02

Bob

yeh, i need to look around nasioc for info. but most people are lookin for 3" exhausts, even people who plan on keeping there stock turbo. ive heard too many issues with loss of hp/torque due to having a too highly free-flowing exhaust. if this wasnt the case, then i'd probably go with bosal or another brand, but our engines dont have much low end power to spare as it is.

i know exhaust choices are discussed to death, but i seem to have a different goal then most of the other exhaust threads (ie wanting 2.5" piping). am i wasting my time worrying about such a specific exhaust, or do my concerns actually have valid reason?

I think that you will have to compromise somewhere. At first I wanted something that didn't exist either. My impression is that all the top brands perform about the same (for our purposes, which seem about the same), and sound is the most important thing.

since i still have all 3 cats, and will probably never have less then 2 hooked up.
    am i wasting my time worrying about such a specific exhaust, or do my concerns actually have valid reason
    With the bottleneck of a cat, are you subject to those free flowing problems? I don't want to sacrifice low end either.

Bob

yes wagoneer, i understand that the most restrictive portion of my exhaust is the cats. but they are a necessary evil that im prepared to deal with. thats why im most likely only going to go cobb stg 1 with a catless uppipe. i also dont feel that im looking for something that doesnt exist. i have realistic expectations of how much power i will gain from a catback, and am simply looking for a list of which ones fit my preferences. thats why i've left it open to single tipped mufflers, if they dont look like a melon-shooter.

If you're keeping the cats then the catback is going to be a looks/sound quality upgrade. It will not affect performace much one way or another.

I like the Borla dual tip system myself.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Yah, get the borla hush exhaust
    http://www.fastwrx.com/bohucaex.html

But looking from the noise increase, 1 dB increase over stock is not that much, if you're looking into a more deeper rumble that you can actually hear from the inside.

If I were you, I'd get the greddy evo muffler. It has a single 4.5 inch tip and 3 inch piping (not much difference in low end over stock), but it doesn't seem as big as the other big single tip mufflers, mainly due to the canister being hidden quite nicely underneath the wrx. It really doesn't look all that bling bling as the other single tip mufflers. Also, with all the windows rolled up, there's no droning at all, and is really quiet at highway speeds. Roll the windows down, and you get a nice deep rumble, but not loud enough to piss people or cops off.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 12-26-2003 at 04:49 PM.

borla hush is too quiet. borla has a regular 2.5" single tip thats not too big though...but in the video clip it sounds kinda tame. i think its on an otherwise stock wrx, so its probably about what i would expect...but its the only 2.5" on a stock system that i've heard...so im not used to it yet. anybody know the muffler im talking about, and does anybody know if the sound is pretty close to what i should expect based on my terms?

Bosal also makes a twin tip, its around 400bucks i think and there are group buys on here for it. no sure about SS quality but it is 2.5" i believe. I like the way it looks and if you search here theres a video for it with sound and idle, low throttle and wot .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast