Homemade octane booster formulas
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Homemade octane booster formulas within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I found this, and thought it might be usefull. Formula #1 - Toluene R+M/2.........114 Cost...........

.50/gal Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium ...

I Support ClubWRX

Homemade octane booster formulas

I found this, and thought it might be usefull.
    Formula #1 - Toluene
    R+M/2.........114
    Cost...........$2.50/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...........94.2 Octane
    20%...........96.4 Octane
    30%...........98.6 Octane
    Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
    R+M/2.........117
    Cost...........$2.75/gal
    10%...........94.5 Octane
    20%...........97.0 Octane
    30%...........99.5 Octane
    Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
    R+M/2.........118
    Cost...........$3.50/gal
    10%...........94.6 Octane
    20%...........97.2 Octane
    30%...........99.8 Octane
    Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
    R+M/2.........101
    Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
    10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
    10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
    20%...........Not Recommended
    Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
    R+M/2.........101
    Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
    30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
    To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
    Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
    25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
    3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
    This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good to know

I Support ClubWRX
    I mixed some xylene up last night and threw it into my quad for sh_ts and giggles, and it felt great. It was really peppy!!!

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    this should be stickied. good info for those of us who can only get 92 at the pump. what a jip
    thanks
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem.

Warning, the mineral spirits are BS.

I forget where but there was an actual experiment carried out by a university engineering student regarding the actual effects of octane boost.
    '03 white rex

Has anyone tried this yet?

Someone please explain why there is a need to add a lubricating agent like gear oil or even Marvel's Mystery Oil? Its not like we're dealing with a two-cycle engine here.

I just dont see the need to have extra lubrication within the air fuel mixture. If you're only adding about a gallon of toluene to a tank of pure gasoline the normal viscosity of the gasoline will not be changed by much if any. Plus, there is already some oil being routed back through the engine via the PCV system.

I have been adding a gallon of toluene for the last two tanks and have had nice results so far. I dont get even a hint of knock now.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I Support ClubWRX
    On the bottom of the article it explains what ingredients are in over the counter octane boosters. The people that are manufacturing these products are fooling everyone and making out like bandits. These are old-school recipes that were originally intended for carburated vehicles that would benifit from lubricants(floats, slides, springs, linkages and little doohickies). The mineral spirits are supposed to "cleanse" your fuel system.

how funny, i have that same page bookmarked

haven't tried it yet though
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by trainrex
    On the bottom of the article it explains what ingredients are in over the counter octane boosters. The people that are manufacturing these products are fooling everyone and making out like bandits. These are old-school recipes that were originally intended for carburated vehicles that would benifit from lubricants(floats, slides, springs, linkages and little doohickies). The mineral spirits are supposed to "cleanse" your fuel system.
    THANK YOU! I knew it wasnt necessary for our engines. I still had some guilt of putting pure toluene in the tank. Now I feel better.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I read somewhere that they are added because everyday gasoline at the pumps has some form of lubrication addative. I obviously don't know, just telling you what I read.

But running something like MMOil won't hurt anything. I run 4-6 oz. every few tanks myself...with regular 93 + GTA (Viscon). Keeps the injectors clean and provides knock resistance.

VV

Originally posted by JRod
    THANK YOU! I knew it wasnt necessary for our engines. I still had some guilt of putting pure toluene in the tank. Now I feel better.

Re: Homemade octane booster formulas

Originally posted by trainrex
    I found this, and thought it might be usefull.
    Formula #1 - Toluene
    R+M/2.........114
    Cost...........$2.50/gal
    10%...........94.2 Octane
    20%...........96.4 Octane
    30%...........98.6 Octane
    Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
    R+M/2.........117
    Cost...........$2.75/gal
    20%...........97.0 Octane
    30%...........99.5 Octane
    Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
    R+M/2.........118
    Cost...........$3.50/gal
    10%...........94.6 Octane
    20%...........97.2 Octane
    30%...........99.8 Octane
    Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
    R+M/2.........101
    Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
    10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
    10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
    Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
    R+M/2.........101
    Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
    30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
    To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
    Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
    25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
    3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
    This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    let me see if i get this right pour 30% of the full fuel tank with toluene ? is this hurts hose and components of fuel system? im having problems w the fuel arround here my car is affraid of pump gas will this help where can i get toluen and xylene? is the race version is a mixture of 15% xylene 15%toluene and the rest fuel??
    Last edited by koki; 12-05-2003 at 05:46 AM.

Toluene and Xylene are fairly common. I worked at a print shop years ago and they bought it by the drum. Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE) is, from what I've read, a better and cleaner additive. However, I'm not aware of anywhere to can buy it. It is a known carcinogen and there are tons of EPA warnings and tests that indicate it is contaminating ground water in many areas. I would be interested in knowing how people are able to get they're hands on it in large quantities. And no, I'm not an EPA agent, or involved with any enviromental group.

well ive been looking arround and no one seem to sell tolueno nor xilene, where should ill be able to get it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.