Why did I get a P0546?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why did I get a P0546? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So why would I get a P0546 (high EGT)? I have a feeling but tell me if I'm right. Mods ...

Why did I get a P0546?

So why would I get a P0546 (high EGT)?
    I have a feeling but tell me if I'm right. Mods are: gutted OE uppipe, catless turbo-back, Samco I/C hoses, and STi hoodscoop.

OK here's my theory. When I put the STi scoop on I didn't reset the ECU. It was a cool night and I was cruising on the freeway in 5th I started going up a pretty steep grade but left it in 5th. Under a high load/boost situation, the ECU didn't compensate for the extra cool charge air and I ran lean.

I didn't think the STi scoop would make a difference. Am I on target here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you sure it wasnt "High Input?" Because that would signify a lower EGT, which is correct.
    I created my avatar.

cnk
    Your EGT sensor in the uppipe is not reading correctly due to the catless uppipe. The fix is to disconnect the EGT sensor and put a 2.2kOHM 1/2W resistor in to the ECU side.

Calvin

Originally posted by CKxx
    Are you sure it wasnt "High Input?" Because that would signify a lower EGT, which is correct.
    Well according to the book it is "P0546 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High (Bank 1)"

Seb,

Your stock EGT probe in the uppipe has burnt thru - this happened to me as well. You need the EGT resistor mod - so simple even I was able to do it. For $1, it's worth a shot anyway!

-Max.

Originally posted by cnk
    Your EGT sensor in the uppipe is not reading correctly due to the catless uppipe. The fix is to disconnect the EGT sensor and put a 2.2kOHM 1/2W resistor in to the ECU side.

Calvin
    That's what I did and I have not had a problem thus far. PKer, I have some extra resistors lying around if you want to pick one up. I can even install it for you.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by BlkWRXWag
    Seb,

Your stock EGT probe in the uppipe has burnt thru - this happened to me as well. You need the EGT resistor mod - so simple even I was able to do it. For $1, it's worth a shot anyway!
    And if you don't get it out of there soon, it could fall apart and destroy your turbo. Do the resistor mod ASAP and plug the EGT bung!

Originally posted by Wade-0
    And if you don't get it out of there soon, it could fall apart and destroy your turbo. Do the resistor mod ASAP and plug the EGT bung!
    Really - I had not heard of that. Mine has been sitting in there burnt out for 11,000 miles!! Should I be very concerned?

What size plug will fit in the EGT bung?

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    What size plug will fit in the EGT bung?
    EGT Bung replacement bolt size...

Thanks

So is it really is a false reading? I don't want to cruise around with no EGT sensor and not know if there is an actual problem.
    I don't have an EGT gauge and didn't plan on getting one anytime soon since I don't plan on upping the boost.

I had a resistor on my old car since the Autospeed flex uppipe has no bung.

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    PKer, I have some extra resistors lying around if you want to pick one up. I can even install it for you.

Aj: are you going to South Coast or Rallycross on Sat.?

Nah, I have to work. :-/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.