Will I lose low-end power...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Will I lose low-end power... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...for autocross type racing if I go with a totally catless exhaust system? I know that back pressure is an ...

Question Will I lose low-end power...

...for autocross type racing if I go with a totally catless exhaust system? I know that back pressure is an N/A concern, but will I trade in low end torque for a high flow top end? If so, I may just do an uppipe and leave Blitz my muffler section intact. Help? Thanks.
    PSM Sedan, lightly salted!
    SCCA-4-Life!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think all catless exhausts will produce more torque (obviously hp) than the oe catted setup. I think one question to think about is 2 1/2" vs 3". There has been much discussion on this subject w/ varying opinions. After much reading, my own (stress own) opinion is that the 2 1/2" may have more torque down low. I don't think the difference is great however. And if you plan on major hp increases then 3" is the way to go.

The only other thing to consider is what class you will be competing in w/ a catless system - ESP or SM.

Big Sky

ESP or SM?

... can you clarify that?
    www.realultimatepower.net

Thanks Big Sky! Yes, I've also read stuff about the 2.5" vs 3".
    Problem is I think most exhaust systems are 3", yes? If low torque will not suffer I will most likely go with 3" down pipe to muffler...I don't plan to go with any boost mods so I'll stay in ESP.

NEwrx, E Street Prepared, & Street Modified are SCCA Solo II racing classifications, if that was your question. ESP & SM allow for elimination of cats where stock class & STX class don't.
    SCCA-4-Life!

the boost controller MBC or EBC will put you in SM where you'll probably have a better time as there's not much competition in ESP really.

I think an ESP Impreza with all the mods done to it including suspension and tires can beat anything in that class. Basically it's DSM and Mustang/Camaro

locally for me there's a DSM that runs in SM that I want to beat up on and there's like a slow Camaro that runs ESP so I'll run SM just because
    I would rather run ESP if there were competion there, but I guess I'll just see how it goes

Originally posted by ellisnc
    the boost controller MBC or EBC will put you in SM where you'll probably have a better time as there's not much competition in ESP really.
    Ha,ha! Yup, not a lot of competition in ESP here also. Not since I got Kumho's, anyways! I could go to SM but there's a killer M3 & a couple of I-Club RS's & a Nissan 240 that have been wreaking havoc lately! I'll beat up on the Pontiacs & Camaros for a while longer...haven't had first places for years! Yeah I know, cheap thrills!
    SCCA-4-Life!

thanks for the clarification ellis.

... just wondering *where* elimination of cats is allowed. i thought it was illegal anywhere. please, correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm hoping to go ESP
    www.realultimatepower.net

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    We're talking autocross rules only. Not the "real" law. That's your choice.

Big Sky

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.