Letting engine cool down...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Letting engine cool down... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do you need to emulate the effects of a turbo timer if you don't have one on these cars? Because ...

Letting engine cool down...

Do you need to emulate the effects of a turbo timer if you don't have one on these cars? Because I'm so used to the way my turbo Integra was I find that I sit for a little while before I shut the car down just in case but if I don't have to, I'd rather not ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

depends on who you ask....if you ask Subaru, the answer is "no"...and if your turbo fails under warranty because of it they'll replace it, so they're pretty confident that at least in the first 100K miles it won't cause problems. If you're using synthetic oil (which you shouldn't be for the first 15,000 miles), it probably won't be a problem either since your turbo can reach temps of about 900 degrees F, and synthetic oil is designed for jet engines running well into the 1000's of degrees.

but if you ask most people on here they'll say "absolutely yes". Does this come from experience with "old school" turbos? maybe. will it hurt your car to do it anyway? nope.

I'd say if you're going to get one...there's one that you can get now that can also tap into your speed sensor and give you 0-60 times HP readouts and the like....so even if you don't NEED it, you'll have some cool features on it that you also don't need....but sometimes you just want to know what your 0-60 time is....

on a side note....a friend of mine has an RX-7 twin turbo with a timer on it. about 2 months ago, while it was parked the catch on the e-brake gave out (well it WAS an 8 year old car...) and the car rolled down the hill, up a side walk and came to rest in a very pissed off person's front yard. tore up the rear bumper when it hit the sidewalk. remember that you can't leave your car in gear...so I guess a turbo timer CAN be bad for your car

Originally posted by blarg
    depends on who you ask....if you ask Subaru, the answer is "no"...and if your turbo fails under warranty because of it they'll replace it, so they're pretty confident that at least in the first 100K miles it won't cause problems. If you're using synthetic oil (which you shouldn't be for the first 15,000 miles), it probably won't be a problem either since your turbo can reach temps of about 900 degrees F, and synthetic oil is designed for jet engines running well into the 1000's of degrees.

but if you ask most people on here they'll say "absolutely yes". Does this come from experience with "old school" turbos? maybe. will it hurt your car to do it anyway? nope.

I'd say if you're going to get one...there's one that you can get now that can also tap into your speed sensor and give you 0-60 times HP readouts and the like....so even if you don't NEED it, you'll have some cool features on it that you also don't need....but sometimes you just want to know what your 0-60 time is....

on a side note....a friend of mine has an RX-7 twin turbo with a timer on it. about 2 months ago, while it was parked the catch on the e-brake gave out (well it WAS an 8 year old car...) and the car rolled down the hill, up a side walk and came to rest in a very pissed off person's front yard. tore up the rear bumper when it hit the sidewalk. remember that you can't leave your car in gear...so I guess a turbo timer CAN be bad for your car
    Haha... ok thanks. Now, here's something that's a little confusing. I've been reading a couple of the uppipe DIY instructions. I've seen a couple now that say there's a coolant running through the turbo, like it's watercooled. But, I thought it was oil cooled. Which is it?

from the reading I've done, the uppipe mod is not a DIY project...as for the coolant....no idea....I thought it was oil-cooled as well. But I haven't messed with it yet.

from the reading I've done, the uppipe mod is not a DIY project...as for the coolant....no idea....I thought it was oil-cooled as well. But I haven't messed with it yet.
    Well mechanical **** doesn't bother me... I put my own turbo system on my Integra LS... so an uppipe is nothing :-)

Cool

If I've been driving hard all the way into the garage, I just sit and let the engine idle until the fan cycles on & off. I make "vroom vroom" sounds while I wait to keep myself busy!
    PSM Sedan, lightly salted!
    SCCA-4-Life!

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

definetly not DIY! it took me 14 hrs to install the uppipe hehe

not because we were slow, but b/c i didn't have any of the right tools to start with, so we made many trips to the store (8 total in 1 day) to buy stuff

Maybe I'm confused, but if you put the uppipe in yourself, then you did it yourself hence DIY :-) I'm not trying to be a smartazz but maybe I'm confused ehehe..

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by hokieitr
    Maybe I'm confused, but if you put the uppipe in yourself, then you did it yourself hence DIY :-) I'm not trying to be a smartazz but maybe I'm confused ehehe..
    lol true true, but by that logic, "any" mod would be DIY as long as you have the right tools. uppipe IS diy, but for ppl who can't read instructions or don't work on cars, then its definetly not a task for them to take on

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.