Another happy TurboXS customer, but some questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another happy TurboXS customer, but some questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All right...I finally got the right harness for the unichip due to my blunder and installed it tonight. Installation was ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Another happy TurboXS customer, but some questions

All right...I finally got the right harness for the unichip due to my blunder and installed it tonight. Installation was a breeze, although getting some of the nuts out was a little bit of a pain. I went out for a test drive right away and I figured that I probably wouldn't get too much instant performance, since the ECU would have to re-learn my driving style. I set my Dual TT to log peak boost and I was off.

I didn't notice anything right off the bat, but I did notice that boost builded up quite a bit faster. I headed for the freeway to do some WOT tests and luckily my cousin and I had a nice open onramp ahead of us. Kicking it into WOT, I kept an eye on my Dual TT and kept the pedal on the floor. Boost peaked at 0.88 bar (12.76 psi), which at first I thought was a little disappointing, since I had been peaking at about 1.08 bar (15.66 psi) before. But then...I noticed that I didn't just peak at 0.88 bar...I stayed at 0.88 bar...all the way from 3k to redline. Holy crap! To quote Tiff from the McLaren F1 Top Gear episode, "The power just keeps going and going...it's simply GLORIOUS!" I had to slow down for traffic, but I decided to go find a longer onramp with less traffic.

I drove up to Supermarkus' place and went on the onramp there...opened her up and before I knew it, I was at 100 and still pulling very hard. I don't think I have much of a top end problem anymore This does lead me to some questions though:

1. Will my peak boost go up as the ECU re-learns my driving style, or should I install the ABC to increase the boost up to the 16.5 psi that's stated in the install instructions?

2. Should I get an EBC (probably an SBC-ID) instead of installing the ABC to get up to 16.5 psi? Or should I use both the ABC and an EBC?

Overall though, I'm very happy with the unichip. If they didn't state 16.5 psi in the instructions, I'd still be totally happy with how it is now. I'm just curious if I can get even more power out of it

PS: Many many thanks to Dan (Godspeed) and Mark (TurboXS)!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Install it. As a precaution to the boost down one full turn. Do a few test runs and adjust it one complete revolution per PSI. I myself only did one turn (approx 1 PSI) at a time and just kept testing until I got to about 15 PSI (started about 8 when I installed it). I then took it easy and did a half turn and tested and then did 1/4 turns until I nailed it at 16 PSI per the instructions.

You were at 15.66 but with the controller and a little tweeking you can be right at 16. Every little bit of boost helps and you might as well get what your paying for.

BTW, the Unichip mapping is set assuming your at 16 PSI per instructions.

Carlo

From what I've ben told, you're not supposed to get full boost in 1st gear, and you're only supposed to peak at 16.5 psi in 5th gear. That 's what they said, that's what I get. I did not install the ABC. Since the "grounding mod" everything'sbn very very good.

The new TurboXS maps require that you use the ABC to adjust the boost map up to the recommended level. You could use an EBC instead, but try the ABC first. You will notice a huge difference since right now you are about 4psi lower than recommended (I'm assuming you are talking about the stage-2 map).

-Pace

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nope, I've got a Stage 1 map...I still have 2 cats so that's probably why I'm not up to Stage 2.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

Does it come with instructions that quote the recommended boost level? If it's higher than you are seeing, use the ABC. TurboXS make much of their power gains through modulation of the boost levels, so you are likely not realizing the full potential of your Unichip map.

-Pace

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, 16.5...I'm going to install the ABC this weekend then...thanks guys!

Originally posted by pace
    The new TurboXS maps require that you use the ABC
    Mark of TurboXS, himself, told me the chip alone is fine. I'm not making this up. They're very friendly there. Just give a call.

When did you purchase your chip? I know it used to be the case that the ABC wasn't needed, but the word from TurboXS is that it is necessary with the latest maps. The instructions explicitly state to use the ABC to bring the boost up. If you call Mark and ask him what to do about the low boost he's obviously going to tell you to use the included ABC. If you don't need to use the ABC, that's fine too.

-Pace

Let's just clarify that use of the ABC is not a 'bad thing'. The ABC is absolutely NOT the same as an MBC. The ECU is still using the oem solenoid to control the boost. The ABC just allows you to shift the boost map 'up' if you need to.

-Pace

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    I purchased it from Dan (Godspeed) last week. The instructions specifically state that I probably won't need the ABC at sea level, but it's there just in case. I'm going to go ahead and install it anyway.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    All right, ABC installed...really simple installation, except the black coupler was a PITA to remove. I've got it set perfectly now and the car feels great! Thanks again guys!

Glad it worked out for you. I'll be running stage-4 spec in about a week or so.... can't wait !

-Pace

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.