Throttle body porting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Throttle body porting within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wow, nice mod. I may have to look into that in the near future....

wow, nice mod.

I may have to look into that in the near future.
    lambosv21

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey WRX03!

That looks friggin awesome! Thanks for the info and pics, sounds like a good mod to do along with new IC hoses. Would you happen to remember what size screws (button heads) you used? I would like to buy them before I take my throttle body apart.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

WRX03,
    Nice Job! Looks awesome. I just have one question. I understand what you mean when you talk about cutting the throttle body shaft, I just want to know: how you do it? I'm trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Originally posted by wrxdude
    WRX03,
    Nice Job! Looks awesome. I just have one question. I understand what you mean when you talk about cutting the throttle body shaft, I just want to know: how you do it? I'm trying to figure it out.

Thanks!
    I have a mill. Not mentioning any other company directly, but doing the tapering on the TB and polishing it only on the lathe is SO EASY. Milling the throttle shaft takes much longer to set up and do. I would do the tapering and polishing on a fully disassembled TB for $50, non-assemblied $75. I have been charging $175 for doing the whole TB, butterfly, throttleshaft, ultrasonic cleaning, screws, etc.

Screws: 4mm-.7pitch, 7 to 8mm long.

The crapping edge that people knife edge is bad on the TB. But what also bugs me even more about the stock TB is the little lip going into the center bore. Too me this is as bad for flow as the outside lip(just in theory). It looks small but it couldn't be in a worse area! If you guys can remove it and do a nice even job of it I would highly recommend spending the time there.
    Last edited by WRX03; 11-07-2003 at 07:28 AM.
    Quietest Cobb Stage 2 in the world. Throttlebody's by WRX03. I/C hoses and ported elbows. Daddy's DP with stock heatshield. 3CE with stock heat shield. Stock catback. PnP Turbo.
    Wife drives it, too fast

Thumbs up

Yesterday installed new samco IC hoses and polished my throttle body by following the steps in the SWRX0983's post. I did not have access to a lathe do go a step further like WRX03 did.

It took me about 6 hours total from start to finish, I work pretty slow, however most of the time was spent trying to remove the hose from the BOV to the Turbo, and then getting all of the hoses lined up again, what a pain!!! This link here helped me with the hoses.

samcos

Anyways, after resetting my ECU and putting about 100 miles on the car, I am very pleased. I definitely feel more pull over 5k especially in 1st and 2nd. And overall it just seems like the rev's climb a little quicker. It seems a little more responsive as well. I'm am not sure if I got good results because I did my hoses at the same time or what. But I would recommend doing this while changing out hoses like it did, your already there so you might as well do it. I used a dremel, various grades of sandpaper, and some steel wool for my polishing. I just wish I had some polish to buff the inside a little more, but my car was already apart, and no other wheels, oh well.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

What to do when it's -14 outside

Well I finally got around to doing this. Took me a long time too, but I was also going slow. I used a dremel angled stone to start the edge, then went to a sandpaper roll, then used "jewler's" rouge on a felt polisher and finally a little Flitz on a felt polisher.

I also beveled the butterfly on the upper front side (looking directly face on w/ it w/ the butterfly open). I was very careful w/ this, and only took a small amount of material off, leaving the lower front side intact to insure a proper seal. I also put a little polish to it as well.

Lastly I found sound some button head screws that were perfect w/ no need to cut anything- they were 4mm .7 pitch 8mm long. Secured w/ a 2.5mm allen wrench.

Before:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tbbefore.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    After:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tbafter.jpg  

Nice Work BIG SKY WRX! Mine looked pretty much like that with the exception of polishing the butterfly, and the screws. Have you tried it out yet?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jamie007
    Nice Work BIG SKY WRX! Mine looked pretty much like that with the exception of polishing the butterfly, and the screws. Have you tried it out yet?
    Thanks. Took longer than I thought and got dark out on me. I'll get it in tomorrow. I knife-edged my IC elbows a long time ago, I'll probably take a look at them and give them a little polish as well.

Big Sky

Feel any gains?
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Hey Big Sky, does the butt dyno give you any gains? I've been looking at some ways to gain a little more power without increasing the boost. This seems like it would help since I'm pretty heavily modded, and if its 10 whp or so, I'll take it!
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't make a guess in what in translates into hp, probably not too much. The throttle response is definitely improved, that's worth it right there.

It's nice afternoon mod, worth it IMO.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad to see this thread still alive. I am definately doing this mod DIY when I upgrade IC hoses.. tho that may be in the distant future...

Originally posted by MainFrame
    I'm glad to see this thread still alive. I am definately doing this mod DIY when I upgrade IC hoses.. tho that may be in the distant future...
    You will definitely be happy with the results, just make sure you have acess to a dremel and with all of the different polishing tools.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12