boost problem?! Help!

This is a discussion on boost problem?! Help! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's been over 6k miles since i installed my gutted up pipe and bosal down pipe. I have no additional ...

boost problem?! Help!

It's been over 6k miles since i installed my gutted up pipe and bosal down pipe. I have no additional mods except for forge bov which i installed 3k miles ago and boost gauge that was installed about 7k miles ago.

I hear no leaks and no abnormal noises. But just 2-3 days ago my car will not boost above 4psi under full throttle!

Could I have a leak?
    What else could be causing this?

any insights or places to start looking will be greatly appreciated.
    Basically a Cobb Stage 2+lots of extras

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check all your hoses and such around the turbo. 4psi must suck.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

Did you leave the stock EGT in the catted uppipe? Check to make sure it didn't back out.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

I checked the egt probe and tightened it down a little bit more but i don't think that's the problem.

I start up the car and really try to listen to all the exhaust parts and i don't hear any abnormalties.

this is just a thought though.....how loose is the waste gate actualator supposed to be?

Can anyone open and close the wastegate by hand without busting a sweat? Or do you need tools to move it. I for one cannot budge the gate with my hands but if i try with all of my strength with pliers i could kinda move it.

anymore insights is appreciated!

I'm getting really mad! No boost sucks!!!!

hey

I'd think that you didn't clean out the uppipe enough, or the sensor broke and something went into the exhaust housing of your turbo and messed it up good....that would just be my guess..... Wouldn't hurt to take the downpipe off put your hand in the turbo and see how well it spins.....

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 08-25-2003 at 06:21 PM.

sounds like a guage problem. does it feel slower?

yes it definitely feels slower.

i can still hear the turbo spin but it's not creating any kind of boost.

the gutted up pipe that i actually purchased was from a guy that guts pipes as a hobby and has sold many stock up pipes to other users and they didnt have any problems. I did a visual inspection of the pipe when i installed it and it looked whistle clean.

i hope it really isn't the turbo, but i haven't ruled that out yet.

This is the last time I will revive this thread.

So after taking off the i/c and everything and just spot tightening couple of bolts here and there i still get 6psi at most for boost under full throttle.

come on guys....i know the simple "if you can move the wastegate actuator (open and close the waste gate) with your hand was a simple question. Someone please help!

hey

the wastegate on a stock turbo is pretty frickin hard to open with your hand. I don't think that is the prob. Obviously, the boost is not being controlled correctly. This is most likely because one part of the boost system is not working correctly. First I'd check to make sure the wire is hooked upto the bcs. Then I'd take the vacume tubes off it and blow through them to make sure they aren't clogged.

Another problem could be if you ever changed the vacume hoses that are on the turbo(or even removed them). There is a restrictor inside one of them, and if it is removed, or falls out while messing with the tubes, you won't boost over 6psi..... food for thought...

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 08-28-2003 at 09:17 PM.