The Truth vs. The Myth of Nitrous Oxide - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Truth vs. The Myth of Nitrous Oxide within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; No problem at all.. Take it easy.....

No problem at all.. Take it easy..
    LETS PLAY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Talking N2O or NO2?

not to be a bitch or anything,

but isn't nitrous oxide NO2, not N2O,
    i mean just the name, nitrous ox"ide" suggest 2 oxygens not 2 nitrogens.

I probably wrong, but i just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same thing...
    I don't know where it went wrong with my last girlfriend, or "tubby" as i called her...

Re: N2O or NO2?

The valence numbers for Nitrogen is +5, for Oxygen it is +6.
    The chemical formula for nitrous oxide is N2O. Yes, it is a strange combination, but that is it.

-Jim

Originally posted by John775
    not to be a bitch or anything,
    but isn't nitrous oxide NO2, not N2O,
    i mean just the name, nitrous ox"ide" suggest 2 oxygens not 2 nitrogens.

I probably wrong, but i just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same thing...

Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2)
    These gases form when fuel is burned at high temperatures, and come principally from motor vehicle exhaust and stationary sources such as electric utilities and industrial boilers.

I have used a NOS(nitrous oxide systems) direct port set up before on my Acura. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. I also used a Jacobs Mastermind progressive controller. This allows you to control you "shot". I used it to control front wheel spin on launches. It quickly opens and close the solenoids(fuel/N20) and allows you to adjust the rate of injection. I used it because of this and the fact I did not want to destroy my daily driver. Another safety measure that can be used is from MSD is called a window switch. It only allows activation of your set up from certain rpms with "pills". They look like small yellow fuses and are rated at different rpms. This is just a quick look at the direct port set up. I believe there is a good faq on the NOS web page.
    John

Re: Re: N2O or NO2?

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    The valence numbers for Nitrogen is +5, for Oxygen it is +6.
    The chemical formula for nitrous oxide is N2O. Yes, it is a strange combination, but that is it.

-Jim

Actually, the valence for O is -2, and N has many variations. Two possible reactions to make N2O are:

NH4NO3 ---> N2O + 2(H2O) @ 250C, or

(these two are similar, so I grouped them as one type, if you will)

HNO2 + NH2OH ---> N2O + 2(H2O)

HNO2 + HN3 ---> N2O + N2 + H2O

The first involves a redox type reaction between N-3 and N+4 oxidation states, with the latter two involving reduction of aqueous nitrous acid with either hydroxylamine or hydrogen azide.

BTW, I had to look all this up. Been too long to recall this type of stuff from memory. Those equations could never stay in my head.

John775, the correct IUPAC name is really dinitrogen monoxide, but we generally say "nitrous oxide). NO2 would be nitrogen dioxide.

Rod
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Re: Re: Re: N2O or NO2?

Whoops,

I was quoting somebody that I thought knew what they were talking about. I guess that's the ion number?

I'm a mechanical engineer, not a chemist.

Oh well, It's N2O, nitrous oxide.

-Jim

Originally posted by WRXed

Actually, the valence for O is -2, and N has many variations. Two possible reactions to make N2O are:
    Rod

All my NOS experience has been on small/big block chevys and fords. I maybe talking out of my a$$ on a 4 cylinder motors. I agree with PlatinumWRX that a wet system is the way to go, but most wet systems have a solenoid for fuel and one for NOS. You can get away with a 75 shot on a dry system, but 75hp is nothing on a V8. If you are going to build a NOS motor and spend the money, why would you limit yourself to 75HP? Rule number one: LEARN HOW TO READ YOUR PLUGS!!! I'm not talking about just pulling them out a inspecting with your naked eye. You need some kinda magnifying tool to search for those little speck of metal (detonation) on the plug and to look to other bad news.
    Second you should have the means to link to your cars computer to see what it's doing. My friend has a 96 transam, he got the 75 dry shot system, he ran no quicker on the bottle then without. The reason was that the cars PCM picked up a knock at retarded the timing to save the motor. He didn't know that his computer was doing this so he added a bigger shot thinking that the 75 was not enough. Well you can imagine what happen next, bye bye number 1 cylinder. He leaned the motor out and burned up number 1. Last... take it in steps. if your goal is a 150 shot, start with 50. Make a few runs then read your plugs to see if your fat or lean on your mixture. Oh and DON'T watch Fast and Furious to learn about NAAAAWWWSS, it's just a movie and they are idiots! Oh one more ... and sneeky petes are a joke..

Dan

Not on a bike

VV

Originally posted by Z28Dan
    Oh one more ... and sneeky petes are a joke..

Dan

Good point!! I always wanted to pump a little N20 into my RC truck, hmmm 2 stroke nitro fuel.....boommmmmm! This is almost worth trying I would sound like stepping on my cats tail! I wonder how many fools out there have died from trying to get high on auto N20? Hello...it's not the same as the medical grade!

What i will do is put a 250 shot of dry nos in my 2002 WRX and run the 1/4 mile and hit that butten and for the few secounds the car will fly and then blow up hey few secoun ds is worth it right?LOL!!!

Originally posted by REVINREX
    What i will do is put a 250 shot of dry nos in my 2002 WRX and run the 1/4 mile and hit that butten and for the few secounds the car will fly and then blow up hey few secoun ds is worth it right?LOL!!!
    Now what was the point of your post? Ohh I got it now. Your just trying to increase your post count. Thanks for the great knowledge and information you have. I think any dumb a** would know that a 250 shot with no other mods would probably destroy most rides.. Please drive through..
    LETS PLAY

People, Do some research on things before you talk about them. All you do is make yourself look stupid to the people that understand the product they are talking about..

I think any dumb a** would know that a 250 shot with no other mods would probably destroy most rides.. Please drive through..
    take it easy tough guy. this is a board that doesn't react well to flames. so you can be a nice person and help, or you can be a ****, and start making enemies.

thanks for all the N2O info. very helpful.

dR

Smile RE- The Nitrous Oxide Debate, replayed itself over-and-over 22+yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeC View Post
    gotcha
    In any event, Forced induction and nitrous also work well together. It's like a liquid IC plus boost in a bottle.

There are several people running dry kits on 'stock' (less exhaust stuff) running deep 12's. It's a very cheap mod. Personally having been there, I like all the time power myself. Nothing like more boost!
    Without getting into the technical debates (when,where,how much,engine setups,etc)
    And, as far as saying: "Nitrous Oxide and High-Boost/High-Compression Engines is a NO-NO !!!": If you are not using E85, I can see the obvious argument, but on the track and/or with 110+ octane RACING FUELS- why not???? As long as the engine internals have been sufficiently upgraded to handle the Extra HP and low end torque....

Anyway, just for fun, and some history... VIP HISTORICAL NOTE- Nitrous Oxide with Centrifugal Turbo-Supercharging(HAS WORKED VERY WELL SINCE WWII, I am also FAA A&P Maintenance Technician(since 1992). And, N20 was used on 2000+HP Centrifugal Supercharged 12 cylinder MONSTER POWER-PLANTS- and please!!!! tell me you know the name(s) of those fighters......
    AND, OFF TOPIC: Here is the most powerful aviation turbo-fan: Testing the new GE-90 Engine..... It can ingest 4.5 TONS OF WATER PER MINUTE - AND STILL CONTINUE TO RUN !!!!! Can you imagine that? They used to use the live chicken(s) test.
    Testing the new GE-90 Engine - YouTube

Back from tha dead!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROTORHEAD71 View Post
    Without getting into the technical debates (when,where,how much,engine setups,etc)
    Don't worry, the OP hasn't been active on the forum in roughly 5 years.

Anyway, just for fun, and some history... VIP HISTORICAL NOTE- Nitrous Oxide with Centrifugal Turbo-Supercharging(HAS WORKED VERY WELL SINCE WWII, I am also FAA A&P Maintenance Technician(since 1992). And, N20 was used on 2000+HP Centrifugal Supercharged 12 cylinder MONSTER POWER-PLANTS- and please!!!! tell me you know the name(s) of those fighters......
    Well, there was the Messerschmitt Bf 109E/Z with a supercharged V12, and the Focke-Wulf TA 152. Both used the Göring Mischung 1 Ha-Ha gas injection setup. I think there is only one TA 152 still around, somewhere on the east coast of the US or something. I don't know about surviving N20 injected BF109s. I bet the Hispano planes are still around (maybe the ones used in filming in the late 60s?) but I don't know to what German model their engines would correspond.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast