Subaru WRX Forum banner

turbo cool-down time???

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  supermarkus 
#1 ·
I friend of mine has an RX-7 twin turbo and every time he parks it he lets it idle for about 2 minutes because he says the turbos get so hot if you just shut the motor off you can crack the turbo blades, and that's what service people recomend. I was wondering if this is a general turbo thing or just one poorly-designed cooling system in one make of car. I've NEVER seen ANY literature on the WRX that suggests you do this. I'd have thought that if it was really that important they'd have put in in the manual in very large red letters on several pages just to make sure.

So is this not a problem on the WRX and does it become a problem when you start playing with boost pressure?

thanks.

#2 ·
Newer technology allows the car to be shut down right after you drive but if you do some hardcore driving you should always wait alittle before shutting off your engine. Say if you drove on the freeway for an hour it wouldnt' be wise for you to just shut down your engine right after you get off. It's a good idea to invest in a turbo timer, I have the HKS type-1 which is a turbo timer but it also comes with a lot of goodies like measureing 0-100m, stopwatch, and just other things like that.

#3 ·
Do you know if Subaru frowns upon turbo timers (I have the extended warranty)? I'm not going to change the boost pressure or anything like that. I just want to be able to select 30 sec-3 minutes of cool down time. And if it is installed will it mess with the stock door lock/alarm arm feature?

#4 ·
beastcivic,

I would like to have a turbo timer, but they reportedly don't cooperate well with the factory alarm. The alarm will not arm automatically when the engine shuts off, even if the doors are locked and the truck is closed. I'm not sure if there is any way around this, but I'd rather have a car alarm and let my car cool off with me in the driver's seat than save 1 minute/hard drive for the life of my car.

-Jim

#6 ·
#7 ·
Sweet, thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it. Now who sells the best turbo timer? I don't want to mount it visble. I would like it to be hidden under the dash or something. Looking for something small.

#9 ·
God said:
Smallest one is the Blitz or the Apexi. They have small readouts with a hideaway unit which you can tuck underneath the dash.
Can you tell me the approximate cost of those two units?

And anyone have an idea of how long it would take to wire up (having never taken a WRX apart before). I have gone through my Civic and Toyota 4x4 many times before. Just not a Subaru.

#10 ·
Just wanted to say that I found this thread useful. And for everyone else that wasn't sure what exactly a turbo timer was, according to www.exterememotorsports.com, "This item is a must for a turbocharged car. It allows you to set a predetermined time that the car will
run-on for after the key is removed from the ignition. This allows the turbo to cool down and the fans to
run to dissipate the heat. Also, the oil fed through the turbo will cool off and prevent the oil from coking
and seizing the turbo.
"

#11 ·
Of course they'll say it's a "Must have item", they're profitting off the sale. I get the exact same effect just by sitting and idling for a minute or two after I get to work in the morning. All I do is work, home, work, home so a TT would be a waste of cash for me. And yes, I do let the car idle everywhere I go, no exceptions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.