Subaru WRX Forum banner

Max hp on stock internals?

28K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  BrianH 
#1 ·
Has there been a common stop point from the tuners and what is it. Also note if its at the wheels or not.

FF

#27 · (Edited)
I have been reading this thread and have found a lot of this prett interesting. I can currently run strong 12.6's on Turbo Blue race gas. With a handfull of mods. Since winter is on its way here in cincinnati I am plotting plans for next spring. I was wondering if you guys think these new upgrades would shred my 40k stock WRX motor? I currently have:
VF30 Turbo
TXS FMIC
STI RA Gears
TBE
Up-Pipe
STi injectors
TXS Utec
Perrin Wide Mouth Intake.
And I would like to sell the Monster ported VF30, and STi injectors and purchase either an FP18G, or a PE1818, I was also thinking on a new manifold possibly Gruppe-S V2 Manifold - 02+ WRX and go with an alcohol injection kit. If you guys have any recommendations I WILL actually listen and ponder them as oppossed to just saying F it and putting on my choices anyway :D I really appreciate your help and I am really posting this to see if the internals can hold up on my young EJ20 motor.

#29 ·
a few years ago, I think it was the by at turboxs that tuned a stock block out, and got to around 42xwhp before a rod let go due to the energy involved in teh compression stroke.

Tuning and setup are the key to getting there reliably. This means a big enough turbo (not a small one running mega boost) and tuning by an excellent tuner that understands the engine as well.

When I asked Ultimate Racing, they felt that the limit was somwhere around 400whp.

Section 8 Motorsport told me that the limit was around 400whp since this is where the heads choke.

This leads me to believe that the limits are actually higher than we think.

People have been busting at or around the 300whp mark because they are running setups that are not designed to efficiently put out that sort of power. Rotated setups I think will be needed to reach the upper limits while retaining a modicum of reliabilty, since they can produce the power while pushing well under 20psi of boost (a good thing for the stock block).

#30 ·
what you are saying makes great sense. I think that is why I am considering to increase the turbo and exhaust flow before I go messing with the engine for more power. With a bigger turbo I can stay away from the 20psi boost and still be fast, although probably not much faster than I am now, just safer I would say.

#31 ·
There is a guy in San Antonio that went 11.5 at 122mph in the quarter and he has stock internals : MZM's Full Weight Subaru WRX with '03 JDM STI Version 8 Type C Transplant peeled off consistent mid 11's in San Antonio in an internally stock 2.0L fitted with the following components:

APS SR55 Turbocharger APS Front Mount Intercooler
APS 3.5" Race Exhaust APS Dual Vent BOV
APS High Flow Cold Air Intake 101 Octane Unleaded Fuel
No other engine modifications such as NOS etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.