Mmmmmm...uppipe...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mmmmmm...uppipe... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well...after a long day at work, I finally went to pick up my car from the shop. The guys at ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up Mmmmmm...uppipe...

Well...after a long day at work, I finally went to pick up my car from the shop. The guys at Smart Service were awesome and although they had a few problems, they got it all worked out. I turn on my engine and wow...not only does the engine sound louder, but my exhaust sounds louder too. It purrs like a pony car now, even more than before.

I pull out and hit the gas...keeping an eye on my RPMs, I feel and hear the turbo start to spool around 2400 rpm, snapping my neck back as I hold onto the steering wheel for dear life. I get on the freeway and punch it into WOT...good god! The powerband is much wider now and before I know it, I hit 80 on the on ramp! Ummmmm...oops? Phew...what a rush!

After a short drive on the freeway, I exit and hit stop light. I brake torque it up to 2000 and when it turns green, I mash it...wow...it just keeps pulling all the way to the redline...too awesome!

What can I say...thanks Dan/God...awesome uppipe. I whole-heartedly recommend one to all WRX owners. It feels like a different car now, even with my slushbox! I barely notice the turbo lag...it's too good!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God
    Thanks Verdugo. Glad it worked out well for you! Enjoy!
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Yup, can;t go wrong with an new up pipe!

But don't get a Graham Goode one!

uppipe

congrats on the uppipe!!! i have the same uppipe and i also have the downpipe. this stuff definitely works, not only works but it is like a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    let the a$$ kicking begin!

Oh man... now I'm getting jealous. I made a promise to myself, one major purchase for the car per month. This month I'm getting a set of morettes. I now have to wait an ENTIRE month before I splurge and get an uppipe.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX

More impressions after a full day of driving...

I got a good day of driving today with the new uppipe and the rare Seattle sunshine. I think my ECU has finally started to get used to the new mod. After warming up my car for a few minutes and then driving a bit, I still notice a little turbo lag...but I think that's just because it's more in the warm-up period still. After a nice 5-7 minutes though, the turbo lag is all but gone. With boost coming on at 2400 rpm, it really does pull all the way to the redline now. Even with my slushbox, taking a turn and putting on some gas doesn't feel jerky anymore without manually shifting down...it just picks up where it left off and I can definitely feel the power increase as I exit turns.

As far as sound is concerned, I noticed that I don't hear my intake as much. With my old cat in, I could totally hear the intake, with a sucking and loud straining sound. It definitely sounded like it was being filtered. Now instead, I don't hear the straining sound at all, thus the intake seems a lot less quiet. I also noticed this in my friend's turbocharged Civic...he has the same Blitz intake as I do (albeit a smaller cone), and mine always seemed a lot louder than his due to the straining sound. Now, it sounds like his...in other words, I don't really notice it. With that said, I think I might just put my stock airbox back in, put in a drop-in K&N filter, and then get a unichip so I don't have to worry about them tuning for my intake. After all, what was really noticeable about my intake to begin with was the sound. So, seeing as that's almost gone now, I might as well put in a unichip instead, without having to worry about tuning problems
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

S-K
    How much did you pay to have the up-pipe installed, and how long were you w/out the car? I just came into a bit of money(sold my R/C car), and I'm tossing about ideas of what to do w/it...
    http://planb-attack.com/WRX-Pasture8.JPG
    "Are You Sure That's A 4cyl?!"
    -Dave-

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Total cost was about $225 for the installation. It took them about 4 hours to do, so I just got a rental car that they arranged for at a discounted rate. Since I was at work anyway and not driving it, it didn't seem like I was missing it at all

225 for an install.. I can do that myself and save the 225 and get the up-pipe yikes hehe

S-K
    Yea, $225 is a lot...But I guess to get the job done in 1/3 of the time, it may well be worth it.
    http://planb-attack.com/WRX-Pasture8.JPG
    "Are You Sure That's A 4cyl?!"
    -Dave-

How's the fitting on the Godspeed uppipes? I heard there were some problems with some?

225 for an install.. I can do that myself and save the 225 and get the up-pipe

that's $112 bux an hour. if you were to do it, and take say 6 hrs, you'd on;y be yielding about 37 bux an hour. which is 66% less efficient. include the headache factor, and use of good tools (airguns, acetylene torch etc) and it just seems much more economical to have someone else do it.

an mbc, gauge, intake all can be done in the average garage. somehtings are best left for the pros.

dR

Originally posted by TurismoLou
    How's the fitting on the Godspeed uppipes? I heard there were some problems with some?
    I have read of (or have first-hand experience with) installation problems encompassing every single uppipe available. I have personally performed six uppipe installations, with three different uppipes, and I now believe the problems to largely lie with each individual vehicle and issues with the oem manifold. I will elaborate and discuss in a seperate thread once I know more.

Needless to say, I honestly don't believe it matters which one you buy; if you have problems with one, you'll likely have problems with any. The quality of Dan's stuff is first rate.

-Pace

gains?

Can anyone estimate what kind of power gains a stock wrx gets from an uppipe like this one?
    2002 Blue WRX w/ Factory Body Kit

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe
    -BPM 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Whiteline Front and Rear Strut Bar

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/70782887sLVXId

I would guess at 10 - 15HP peak. Also your turbo will spool faster, so I would think there would be more area under the graph on HP and torque plots. Pretty good bang-for-the-buck.

-Pace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.