Water Injection Installed - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Water Injection Installed within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; WOW,,so you are saying its safe to run the WI Kit ?? its not like NOS? Could you use NOS ...

WOW,,so you are saying its safe to run the WI Kit ??
    its not like NOS?
    Could you use NOS and WI in the same car?
    Could i use this with a FMIC or is most effective with the TMIC?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have a look at www.aquamist.co.uk and check the resources link. It has good basic info about water injection. WI is not a power adder like N2O - it is more of a power enabler. You can run leaner and with more advance than without it.

Much of the fuel added at high boost/rpm is to cool the chamber and lower EGTs - the water injection can take that place. Water can absorb a lot more heat than gasoline.

As far as the 'is it proven' question. It was used in WW2 fighters with awesome success.

It does not matter what type of ic you have - you can still use WI

This kit comes with the switch to turn on and off?
    do i need a timer?
    thanks
    tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Ahh,,and how do you tune it?
    using a good AF gauge ?
    How?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

No offence mate, but did you even click the link to find out about the kits before posting the question??

The 2D system that I have is automatic. There is a stripped down kit that can be triggered by the UTEC or similar. And there is an all singing, all dancing 3D mappable system.

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    No offence mate, but did you even click the link to find out about the kits before posting the question??

The 2D system that I have is automatic. There is a stripped down kit that can be triggered by the UTEC or similar. And there is an all singing, all dancing 3D mappable system.
    I read it all,,but i cant believe it does everything by itself.
    the installation seems very complicated.is it?
    Thanks
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

It does do it all. I suspect you can extract 85% with your knock sensor on the UTEC and an EGT gauge - for really getting 100% out of it you would want a dyno, EGT and WBO2 sensor.

The install is not that difficult on the 2D - it only needs power and a tap on an injector line - all the rest of the connections are between kit components. The fully mappable system has only a few more connections.

The hardest thing is routing all the wires safely and finding space for all the bits.

It does do it all. I suspect you can extract 85% with your knock sensor on the UTEC and an EGT gauge - for really getting 100% out of it you would want a dyno, EGT and WBO2 sensor.
    85% is a good number for me.
    I will go for it once my project is ready
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Let me get this straight.

From what I read, this water injection system is spraying water INSIDE the intake air pipe? Therefore, water into the intake and then into the combustion chambers? Is that right? Isn't water inside the engine bad?

enlighten me please.

That is exactly what it is doing, but relatively small amounts. About 15% the amount of fuel.
    It is not like driving though a large puddle with a CAI or squirting a garden hose into the intake.

The water is in a very fine spray and it essenitally cools the cylinder walls and can prevent the onset of detonation.

Check www.aquamist.co.uk for some good explainations rather than regurgitating it all here.

That is exactly what it is doing, but relatively small amounts. About 15% the amount of fuel.
    It is not like driving though a large puddle with a CAI or squirting a garden hose into the intake.

The water is in a very fine spray and it essenitally cools the cylinder walls and can prevent the onset of detonation.

Check www.aquamist.co.uk for some good explainations rather than regurgitating it all here.
    Anymore pics of the wiring inside and out? I am about to install my 2D system and trying to get as much info as possible. Where did you tap into the injector wire? Thanks for the pics you already have up

Thanks

Those are all the pics I took. I tapped the injector at the ECU - much easier to find there. The wiring on the 2D is the hardest part - it goes everywhere!

Banned

Help Deal With Lower Octane Gas?

Help Deal With Lower Octane Gas? If this mod is proven safe and generates the kind of power numbers you state (or even a percentage of), this mod is going to be huge in California.

Any emission problems?

It only adds steam to the exhaust gasses!! No emissions limit on steam!!

I haven't worked much with water injection, but from what I've seen, it's really quite cool. I'm going to go back and follow the previously-mentioned link for the 2D kit. Now I'm curious about this.

Someone mentioned that it's "bad" to have water in the cylinders. Well, yes it is - mainly because water doesn't compress worth a damn. You can't squeeze water at a 9:1 ratio like a fuel-air mixture. So too much water in the cylinders does really nasty things.

The theory behind the water injection (at least as I understand it) though is to create an essentially atomized mist of water that will help cool the cylinders, valves, pistons, etc. It also has the side effect of basically steam-cleaning the internals of your motor. I suppose one of the downsides is that now you have yet another fluid you need to keep an eye on. And water isn't the lightest of liquids either...

At any rate, congrats on the system. It looks very cool and seems to give some nice power benefits as well. I'm definitely going to have to look into this.

-Bis

The WRX that became the Evolution IX.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast