Finally someone is going to make an intake elbow that doesn't cost $200
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally someone is going to make an intake elbow that doesn't cost 0 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You've probably heard me complaining about nobody making a intake elbow (silencer w/o the resonator portion) that didn't cost 0 ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Finally someone is going to amke an intake elbow that doesn't cost $200

You've probably heard me complaining about nobody making a intake elbow (silencer w/o the resonator portion) that didn't cost $200 ala Prova (it's carbon fiber, but it's in the fender well ).

Sean at generation plastics is goging to make such a piece in ABS plastic and is shooting for ~ $30.

Pic of prototype:

If anyone is interested, give him a call or email. It should be ready in acouple of weeks

Sean Logan
    Generation Plastics LLC/GP Moto
    sean@generationplastics.com
    _
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 12-30-2005 at 08:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd take one of them!

Sign me up too! It was only a matter of time .

Homeboy should offer a group buy for his first units, bet they'd be gone in a day...

I Support ClubWRX
    So if I understand correctly, this piece just takes out the resonator in the connection between the air collector scoop in the front and the air cleaner assembly?

I also sent him an email as I am VERY intersted in the product. Very cool idea.

Did I also mention I would like to be included in the Group Buy as well?
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 03-10-2003 at 10:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It will replace the entire oe silencer section and replace it w/ this elbow that connects the air intake snorkle (scoop) to the air box. It will allow a direct flow sans the resonator section.

Datalogging has suggested that the oe intake track is very effecient, especially at speed. I believe this is due to a pressurized effect. Removing the silencer completely or even hacking it, lessens or negates this effect. This elbow should remove the last restriction (the resonator portion of the silencer) in this path.

Big Sky

WRX
    can you say GROUP BUY?!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

me me me!!!

if you wanted this same idea, couldnt you just cut the silencer portion off of the stock 'snorkel'? i would think you could either close up the hole left, or keep it open to draw even more air in from the fender. i honestly dont know if there would be a difference, just wondering. $30 isnt a lot, but i dont understand the big difference with this piece.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    if you wanted this same idea, couldnt you just cut the silencer portion off of the stock 'snorkel'? i would think you could either close up the hole left, or keep it open to draw even more air in from the fender. i honestly dont know if there would be a difference, just wondering. $30 isnt a lot, but i dont understand the big difference with this piece.
    o-|-<) bryan
    No big difference if you seal off the hacked portion, probably a little smoother w/ this piece. I'm currently running the "hacked" piece which I feel is an improvement over oe, but as I mentioned above- the hole left will not help w/ a pressurized sytem.

That's why I refused to pay $200 for the Prova piece, a little modification to the stock piece would yield very close results, but $30- yeah I'll pay that.

Big Sky

is there a need for the air box in the future as far as smog-check. I am in CA and emission control is pretty high. And I certainly agree with Big Sky WRX

I would think that this piece would still need a little hole in the bottom.

The OE box has a tiny hole that I assume is to let water out should it get in through the scoop over the fender....

Or i could just be very, very wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Kwyjibo
    I would think that this piece would still need a little hole in the bottom.

The OE box has a tiny hole that I assume is to let water out should it get in through the scoop over the fender....

Or i could just be very, very wrong
    If there is no hole in it from Sean, I'll drill a small one in. The hole should be located at the lowest spot in the elbow. Your correct on the oe silencer, it has a hole at the bottom of the resonator section.

Big Sky

Looks awesome. I emailed him & asked him to save 2 for me

j.p.

I emailed him too! Is there an answer to that group buy?!
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Group buy or not, I am all over that!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.