Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just a little trick that has been shown to accelerate the factory ECU's ignition timing learning process. Background: There is ...

Talking Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)

Just a little trick that has been shown to accelerate the factory ECU's ignition timing learning process.

Background: There is something called "Ignition Advance Multiplier". It represents, by some complicated algorithm, the average learned positive knock correction applied to the ignition maps. It's represented in 1/8th degrees increments. 1 being the lowest and 16 being the highest (1/8 to 2 degrees in absolute terms).

The "happier" (knock free) the car is, the higher the number will be. Conversely, the lower it is, the more knock prone it is. This number, after ECU reset ore ECU swap defaults to 8 and usually creeps up to 16 (if well mapped) through normal driving. Depending on driving characteristics, this can happen within a few hours or a few weeks. Well, here's a way to make it happen in about 5 seconds ....

First: With the car fully warmed up, reset the ECU. This can be done by killing power the ECU or by simply pulling off the neg. battery terminal and pressing the brake pedal for a couple of seconds.

Second: Drive to a nice open road without traffic. Don't go on boost until you get there. Put the car into gear (3rd gear works the best) bring the revs up to 2600rpm. Push the go pedal down slightly so boost stays right around 2-4psi. You will need to MAINTAIN 2500rpm and 2-5psi for approx 5 seconds. You can do this by left-foot braking gently as to prevent acceleration. During these few seconds, the advance multiplier (which you can't see so you'll have to trust me) will go from 8, to 12 and then to 16. Works like a charm. And on our reflashed ECU, is worth an immediate 10-20 horsepower

In an attempt to save a lot of dyno time between reflashes (when the advance multiplier resets itself), I do this little trick after every reflash. In a typical dyno session, it's not unusual to reflash the same car up to 5 times. On the dyno, all I need to do is tell the dyno to hold revs to 2600rpm. Then I just lay on the throttle until I see a few psi of boost... Bingo!

Warning: This little trick artificially speeds up the learning process. This is only a good thing if the re-mapped ECU is mapped properly. If there are trouble-spots where knock is present, this trick will make it even more present. So be careful!

Cheers,
    shiv
    www.vishnutuning.com
    www.vishnutuning.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Shiv you rule!
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Possibly THE best post I've seen in a long time. Thank you, Shiv!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Thanks for posting the tip Shiv. I've heard nothing but good things about your work. I hope to introduce you to my car when I return to the BAy Area. You two should have a wonderful relationship.

dan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

does it work on non reflashed ecu's?
    -Andrew

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    does it work on non reflashed ecu's?
    yea bc if i could do that to my stock ecu and very
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Does this work on 4EAT's as well?

Jon

Just curious, why do you have to press the brake pedal for a couple of seconds after removing the battery cable? Thanks.

Looking forward to getting my sub-zero reflash, soon.

Leo

That closes the brake light switch and drains all the residual 'tricity out of the vehicle.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

Once 'learned', how long does the ECU stay in this state? Or what would throw it out of this state?

Thanks.
    02 WRX - auto, Blaze Yellow

can i do this to my stock wrx? and am i actually gonna feel a 10 hp increase or is this some kind of bull
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

Doing this "trick" only speeds up the process that would occur anyway over time anyway.

Your car isn't going to have any more peak power because of this.

It'll just get to it's "happy" state of knock correction more quickly.

You're losing 10-20hp on the ECU reset - so the 10-20hp you gain back (either in 5 seconds with the "trick" or days/weeks of normal driving) nets you 0.

Please note that this is all assuming that you don't have any knocking going on that would make the ECU give a lower positive knock correction.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

but this does work on the stock ecu?

im assuming so since the modified ecu is just remapped right?
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Yes.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I attempted this ECU learning trick yesterday after installing my EMI adapter, and it worked perfectly. I am running the stock ECU with a Dastek Unichip, EMI harness and EMI adapter.

Awesome trick. And very nice, since it will hopefully save me some gas money, since the ECU doesn't have to learn so slowly, like after every ECU reset.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.