Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This trick works fine on the stock ECU as well. Get a 10mm socket or wrench and take off the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    This trick works fine on the stock ECU as well.

Get a 10mm socket or wrench and take off the negative batter terminal. Make sure it is bent to the side, as you do not want it to make contact with the body of the car or the negative battery terminal.

Get into the car and press the brake for 5 seconds. You will see the odometer disappear.

You ECU has now been reset.

Follow Shivs instructions. Very easy to do. And it works every time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

odometer... gone? isnt that a bad thing? =)
    "All the auto WRXs I've driven (alot, I work at a dealership) give me enough time to make a peanut butter and jelly sammich before they hit boost." - Rancid

SQC 120

Originally posted by Kenshin
    odometer... gone? isnt that a bad thing? =)
    It is not the main mileage reading, only the temporary mileage.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

oooooh sweet.. imma try this ECU thing as soon as the rain stops.. i thought my ECU learned everything it had to learn.. i had my DP/turboback and MBC for almost a year... it should be at 16 setting right? should i do the ECU trick?
    "All the auto WRXs I've driven (alot, I work at a dealership) give me enough time to make a peanut butter and jelly sammich before they hit boost." - Rancid

SQC 120

Will this work on the 04 rexes as well?
    04 WRX

(SOLD)2000 Civic Si
    Best ET: 14.644@94.34mph NA; 60ft 2.272

I tried this a week ago but did not notice any difference in power. :-/ Maybe I should try it again? I dunno....
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Maybe we could make the directions on how to do this a sticky somewhere?

and a bump
    Bill

RIP REX

I just did this to my 04 with a stock ECU. It worked great! My car has never been this fast before. its a night/day difference. First gear goes by so quickly now. How long does this advanced timing last?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

its a night/day difference.

whats a night/day difference? <confused>

SQC 120

Re: its a night/day difference.

Originally posted by Kenshin
    whats a night/day difference? <confused>
    I guess my timing has always been low since I bought the car. i always assumed that it was a fast as i was gonna get. I reset my ECU today and did Shiv's learning trick after owning the car for 5 months. The increase in timing is VERY NOTICABLE. My car just screams now. I'm not sure how long it will last, but it sure is cool.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

For me, the enhances performance and better gas mileage last abour two tanks of gas.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I just wanted to post an update to clarify exactly what this trick does, how it works, and why Vishnu-Reflashed ECU's no longer benefit from it.

Your ECU has a "Base Timing Map" which contains all the lowest timing values that would ever need to be used (i.e. worst case scenario). It also have an "Advance Map" which contains the values that are added to the base map when higher octane, etc is used.

The ECU determines how much of the base map to utilize based on fuel octane, knock behavior, etc. The general index that the ECU applies is called the Ignition Advance Multiplier.

THe "IAM" is a number from 0 to 16; 0 meaning none of the advance map is used (worst case) and 16 meaning all of the advance map may be used (best case). (aka Course Ignition Learning)

On stock ECUs and older Vishnu reflashes, the IAM will automatically revert to "8" meaning it goes right to the middle of the advance map values. As the ECU determines the fuel is good and such, it will gradually increase the IAM until it is maxed out for the octane/knock behavior, etc.. (or it will reduce the IAM towards 0 if you have a LOT of knock or really bad fuel, etc).

Doing Shiv's "trick" just makes the conditions right for the ECU to learn very quickly how much of the IAM can be used - meaning you make it advance to 15,16,whatever in a matter of seconds instead of what normally takes quite a while (several drives).

This is all good except that for quite some time now, all Vishnu reflashes have been coming with the default IAM already set to 16 instead of 8. This is because Vishnu can safely assume that its users know to always use premium fuel. So doing this trick on a very recent Vishnu reflash will yield very little to no results.

There is still some ignition learning that the ECU can do beyond the IAM (Coarse). The IAM is a single value that is applied across the board to all load and rpm sites. Once the IAM is learned, the fine ignition learning takes place. This will be smaller increments that are applied across an 8x8 matrix in the load/rpm table. The only way to very quickly establish all your fine learning it to make sure you hit all load points at all rpms - which is hard to do on public roads.

Anyway, enjoy!

thats awesome

its like a code for a nintendo game

I got a auto. I also dont have a boost guage.

Can i just find a road and do the reset?

Also without any way to monitor boost and not being manual can i just follow the other rules and be good to go? Im sure i can keep the revs at 2500-2600 but curious about the 2-5psi. Anyone in a auto done this?

Originally posted by skyjock41
    I got a auto. I also dont have a boost guage.

Can i just find a road and do the reset?

Also without any way to monitor boost and not being manual can i just follow the other rules and be good to go? Im sure i can keep the revs at 2500-2600 but curious about the 2-5psi. Anyone in a auto done this?
    can't you put it in "2" and hold the brake or does it shift on you when you're in "2" ?

The important thing is the rpm and the boost level, not so much what gear you're in - you might even just try it in "1"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast