SR*S Catback Exhaust from EBAY PICS and VIDS - Page 14
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 518

This is a discussion on SR*S Catback Exhaust from EBAY PICS and VIDS within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by myoung321 Great!... So is it single baffled or dual? Unfortunately, it is double baffled. This will make ...

  1. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by myoung321 View Post
    Great!... So is it single baffled or dual?
    Unfortunately, it is double baffled. This will make for one tough time if you decide to cut it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by myoung321 View Post
    Seems a lot of people that received the latest shippment is having this problem. Got a mail from the seller telling me they are checking with the factory to see what happened and they will reimbursh anyone that has to take it to a muffler shop to get it cut out.. then they will send a new silencer.. Nice to know they stand by their product..
    Yes. I assume you bought yours from nissangtrpower (eBay seller)? Because he told me also that they would pay for the muffler shop bill and send me a new silencer.

    I will suggest what worked for me. Drive around for a few days with it installed. Try using a slide-hammer while the exhaust is moderately warm.

    ***EDIT***
    myoung, if you can't get your hands on a slide-hammer, take a trip over to AutoZone. They have a FREE tool rental program. And guess what... they rent slide hammers! Surprisingly the down payment is only like $20, and it is returned to you in full once you return the tool. Might as well give it a try, can't let that thing sit stuck in there forever (and its free!).
    Last edited by SSSWRX04; 10-22-2007 at 10:19 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #197
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSWRX04 View Post
    Unfortunately, it is double baffled. This will make for one tough time if you decide to cut it out.



    Yes. I assume you bought yours from nissangtrpower (eBay seller)? Because he told me also that they would pay for the muffler shop bill and send me a new silencer.

    I will suggest what worked for me. Drive around for a few days with it installed. Try using a slide-hammer while the exhaust is moderately warm.

    ***EDIT***
    myoung, if you can't get your hands on a slide-hammer, take a trip over to AutoZone. They have a FREE tool rental program. And guess what... they rent slide hammers! Surprisingly the down payment is only like $20, and it is returned to you in full once you return the tool. Might as well give it a try, can't let that thing sit stuck in there forever (and its free!).
    I'll give that a shot, thanks.. hopefully I only have to rent it for a couple of minutes...haha

  4. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7
    OK, I can tell you how to get it out, or at least what worked for me.

    It's the puller idea I mentioned earlier. Take a metal bar about 2.75" long and cut a 1/4 wide slot in it, in the center, about 1" long. I'd suggest something at least 1/4" thick if it's aluminum to avoid it bending later.

    Now take a 10" 1/4-20 threaded rod and lock two nuts together on one end of it. Slide the rod through the sloted bar. Since it's a slot you can make it into a "T" shape, but with the top of the "T" slanted. You now put this into the silencer and when it's past the end, you wiggle it about so that the bar is across the inside opening and the threaded rod comes out along the center axis of the tailpipe.

    You're now 1/2 way there.

    Take a metal plate or bar that's wider than the final tailpipe opening, say 8 inches long and at least 1/4" thick (or aluminum angle) and drill a 1/4 hole in the center. Run the 1/4-20 threaded rod through the hole and put a nut on it.

    Get two blocks of wood which are longer then the tailpipe extension, say about 6" long. Jam these wooden blocks between the bar and the body of the muffler. Now you are all set.

    Crank down on the nut. This pulls the silencer assembly towards you and out of the housing. I had to crank down pretty tight before it even thought about coming loose, but one you've moved it a mm or so it gets easier. It seems to be the outer plate (the one you can see) that's tight.

    At some point you'll be able to pull the whole thing out, with no visible damage to any part of it!

    I've attached a photo of the silencer assembly in case anyone needs to know what it looks like.

    Took me about 45 minutes to get all the parts together, drill the holes and mill the slot and extract the silencer. If you don't have a mill, a drill and a round file should do the job.

    It's definitely louder, no doubt about that. Probably illegal, but no so loud that everyone turns and stares at you. Haven't taken it on the highway yet so I don't know if the noise would be excessive in a long trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silencer.jpg  

  5. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06wrx View Post
    It's definitely louder, no doubt about that. Probably illegal, but no so loud that everyone turns and stares at you. Haven't taken it on the highway yet so I don't know if the noise would be excessive in a long trip.
    Sounds SOOOOO much better... gotta love that boxer 'rumble gurgle burple'

  6. #200
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    28

    Messege from the seller for ways to remove the silencer

    hi everyone ,the seller has told me to post this messages for him:

    " hi first we would like to say thankyou for everyone who purchased the exhaust from us ,second is we would like to apologizes for all the inconveniences and trouble that it has caused to anyone who have trouble taking out the silencer ,we have contacted the factory and still waiting for their response ,but we have figured two ways to have the silencer remove if you have already tried all other ways and still can not remove the silencer ,here are the two video clips we made to remove the silencer:

    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV08184.flv

    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV08178.flv

    and for new customer ,we will have all silencer remove before shipping them out ,thankyou once again sorry for all the inconveniences and trouble that it has caused to you guys, any question please e-mail us at ebaypart@yahoo.com ,thankyou and have a nice day"


  7. #201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 07bluewrx View Post
    hi everyone ,the seller has told me to post this messages for him:

    " hi first we would like to say thankyou for everyone who purchased the exhaust from us ,second is we would like to apologizes for all the inconveniences and trouble that it has caused to anyone who have trouble taking out the silencer ,we have contacted the factory and still waiting for their response ,but we have figured two ways to have the silencer remove if you have already tried all other ways and still can not remove the silencer ,here are the two video clips we made to remove the silencer:

    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV08184.flv

    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV08178.flv

    and for new customer ,we will have all silencer remove before shipping them out ,thankyou once again sorry for all the inconveniences and trouble that it has caused to you guys, any question please e-mail us at ebaypart@yahoo.com ,thankyou and have a nice day"

    HAHAHA GOTTA LOVE THE 2ND ONE!!!

    I was hoping that would happen to me!!!

  8. #202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7
    Having removed the silencer (as I described above), I was a little nervous driving past 3 cops this evening. No stops but I was careful not to get the revs up too high!

    Has anyone actually measured the noise level with and without the silencer? I think Radio Shack has a $50 noise meter that might give a clue as to whether it exceeds 95dB in either case (20" from the tip at about 3500-4000rpm). I'm guessing it probably does without the silencer, but I'm not sure with it.

    BTW I like clip #2. Mine certainly doesn't do that. I'm going to have to file it down a bit to even get it back in!

  9. #203
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSWRX04 View Post
    HAHAHA GOTTA LOVE THE 2ND ONE!!!

    I was hoping that would happen to me!!!
    Only thing is.. notice its a single baffle..

  10. #204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06wrx View Post
    OK, I can tell you how to get it out, or at least what worked for me.

    It's the puller idea I mentioned earlier. Take a metal bar about 2.75" long and cut a 1/4 wide slot in it, in the center, about 1" long. I'd suggest something at least 1/4" thick if it's aluminum to avoid it bending later.

    Now take a 10" 1/4-20 threaded rod and lock two nuts together on one end of it. Slide the rod through the sloted bar. Since it's a slot you can make it into a "T" shape, but with the top of the "T" slanted. You now put this into the silencer and when it's past the end, you wiggle it about so that the bar is across the inside opening and the threaded rod comes out along the center axis of the tailpipe.

    You're now 1/2 way there.

    Take a metal plate or bar that's wider than the final tailpipe opening, say 8 inches long and at least 1/4" thick (or aluminum angle) and drill a 1/4 hole in the center. Run the 1/4-20 threaded rod through the hole and put a nut on it.

    Get two blocks of wood which are longer then the tailpipe extension, say about 6" long. Jam these wooden blocks between the bar and the body of the muffler. Now you are all set.

    Crank down on the nut. This pulls the silencer assembly towards you and out of the housing. I had to crank down pretty tight before it even thought about coming loose, but one you've moved it a mm or so it gets easier. It seems to be the outer plate (the one you can see) that's tight.

    At some point you'll be able to pull the whole thing out, with no visible damage to any part of it!

    I've attached a photo of the silencer assembly in case anyone needs to know what it looks like.

    Took me about 45 minutes to get all the parts together, drill the holes and mill the slot and extract the silencer. If you don't have a mill, a drill and a round file should do the job.

    It's definitely louder, no doubt about that. Probably illegal, but no so loud that everyone turns and stares at you. Haven't taken it on the highway yet so I don't know if the noise would be excessive in a long trip.
    Holy Pulling Contraptions Batman..That sounds like more trouble than actually installing the exhaust. You'd be good at creating torture devices...hahaha

  11. #205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    18
    Funny thing is... me and my buddy were designing the same type of contraption before I got mine off. We just couldn't figure out now not to put the pressure on the exhaust tip. But using the muffler body to push off of was a great idea. Luckily, I got mine off after a few days of driving and then slide-hammer round 2

  12. #206
    Registered User Ditch64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.5 View Post
    you can buy this stuff similar to dynamat from home depot. It is really cheap and it either comes in smaller rolls or large rolls. I believe its for around windows and gutters to prevent leaks. It has a silver "foil finish" on one end and the other is sticky. Anyways, i put a whole bunc of it in my trunk and under rear seats and it made a huge difference.
    Hey do u know the exact name of that stuff?

  13. #207
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch64 View Post
    Hey do u know the exact name of that stuff?
    You want to be careful buying that Home Depot stuff. It can give off a pretty bad smell when hot..

    I've used "B-Quiet" with great results..cheaper than dynomat.


    http://www.b-quiet.com/

    In fact if you click on the Nissan Performance Magazine link on the main page you'll see my article/install

    If you don't want something permenant then use their V-COMP.. you can cut it to slip under your trunk carpet..

    Last edited by myoung321; 10-23-2007 at 09:13 AM.

  14. #208
    Registered User ryan2.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Bech, OR
    Posts
    157
    sorry I dont know the exact name of it... a store like lowes or home depot will have it or someone similar. I never had any weird smell of any sort. It does work very well and is very cheap. I dont think i could stand the exhaust without silencer if it wasnt for it.
    358 awhp/430 tq.Tuned by PRE
    stock turbo
    DIFFERENT STROKES.
    Blobeye syndicate #101

  15. #209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13
    Here are a few pre-install pics of the exhaust. I'll post more during and after...after I get them off the camera.

    Compared to 07 OEM STI Exhaust






    note: removed a couple pics of mid-section request of seller. Does not want a portion of the exhaust copied
    Last edited by myoung321; 10-24-2007 at 03:06 AM.

  16. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7
    After finally managing to extract the silencer, has anyone had any luck in modifying it so that it goes back in without having to be hammered into place? A tight fit is obviously needed, but there are limits!

    I tried sanding it by hand, that didn't help. I tried filing it and that didn't help. I tried grinding the diameter down with a belt sander and that didn't work. I could put it on the grinding wheel and taking even more material off, but by the time I get it to fit I'm worried that there will not be much metal left!

    The problem is that it flares out. It slides in maybe 1/4", then it jams. What's needed is a way to reduce the flare, but it's pretty tough. Beating on it with a hammer isn't going to help because if it ever goes out of round it will probably be impossible to ever get back in!

    Maybe I just got one that was REALLY oversize. A bad batch maybe? They must have noticed this when they were beating it into place with a hammer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •