SR*S Catback Exhaust from EBAY PICS and VIDS - Page 13
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on SR*S Catback Exhaust from EBAY PICS and VIDS within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The last thing you should do is start cutting... try some of the other suggestions several times, before resorting to ...

The last thing you should do is start cutting... try some of the other suggestions several times, before resorting to that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have. At this point I don't care about the silencer at all, I want it out.

I fitted the S*RS catback yesterday. Pretty easy installation even single handed. There was a bit of a leak at the downpipe connection, but for now that's sealed with a little "muffler sealer". Probably needs a thicker gasket. The leak seemed to be around the top of the flange. I'm not sure there quite enough adjustment in the catback system to get the flanges perfectly parallel before bolting them up, even with the flex section in the paipe.

Sound good. Quieter than I'd anticipated, but still a nice note. I have a wagon and the interior noise level is pretty low.

Like everyone else I'm having one hell of a job getting the silencer out of the tailpipe. I'd tried a slide hammer system, pulling on it with two pairs of vice-grips, trying to wiggle it out, heating up the outside in the hope of some expansion, using penetrating oil and anything else non-destructive I could think of, but it didn't budge even a fraction of a mm. The both holes are still lined up perfectly.

I'm thinking of building a puller tool, with maybe three threaded rods with hooks on the end inside the pipe and three support legs which would push against the muffler housing (with sutable padding to prevent damage). I'm just wondering what the thing looks like on the inside end once you get it out. Anyone have a picture? I don't want the hooks to dig into anything critical since in all likelyhood once I've taken it out I'll probably end up putting it back in.

I suppose someone at the factory could be playing a joke by superglueing the thing in there but at least I know if the bolts ever fall out, it's not going anywhere.
    Last edited by nj06wrx; 10-21-2007 at 02:33 PM.

did anyone have problems with fitment next to the third member skid plate? the exhaust flanges where the mid pipe bolts to axle back section is resting right on this on my exhaust

nj06wrx I'm in the same position as you. I can't get the thing to budge at ALL, and I am really aggravated. If you finally get it out somehow, please let me know how so I can try it. I will do the same. At this point, I really don't even care if I destroy the thing I just want it out. But I am still trying to find out if it is double baffled or not. If not, it should be an easier job to cut out.

Anyone know if its double baffled? (1 or 2 plates)

My SR*S silencer has two baffles.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

If you have a 07 STI the back/side of the muffler rest against the rear defuser. The front of the defuser comes with a metal heat shield, but this point of contact is behind the OEM shield, so if you have an STI you'll have to add something heat resistant in order not to melt the side of the disfuser.

By the way,,, I installed mine this weekend and I also cannot remove the silencer. I wrote the guy that sells them, told him he should respond to this thread.

It doesn't really make sense to pre-install the silencer. Someone in the factory needs to be B**** slapped..
    Last edited by myoung321; 10-21-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06wrx View Post
    I fitted the S*RS catback yesterday. Pretty easy installation even single handed. There was a bit of a leak at the downpipe connection, but for now that's sealed with a little "muffler sealer". Probably needs a thicker gasket. The leak seemed to be around the top of the flange. I'm not sure there quite enough adjustment in the catback system to get the flanges perfectly parallel before bolting them up, even with the flex section in the paipe.
    What car do you have?

Because on my STI the bolts suppled were too big to fit into the factory downpipe flange. I had to use the factory OEM bolts with the springs. Good thing is I didn't notice any exhaust leaks,.. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed...until I get a chance to round up some bolts that will do the job better. Just something about that connection bothers me.
    Last edited by myoung321; 10-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.

i ended up just cutting around the first baffle with a dremel amd pulling the silencer tube out as far as i could. then i was able to beat the first baffle sideways with a deadblow and both pieces came out without deforming the tip at all. its a pretty crude way of removing it but after 40 minutes of trying to pull it out i didnt see any way other than destroying the part to remove it. maybe the manufacturer can send out a replacement silencer. its a pretty basic part and i dont see it costing that much to produce
    Last edited by murdock314; 10-21-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myoung321 View Post
    What car do you have?

Because on my STI the bolts suppled were too big to fit into the factory downpipe flange. I had to use the factory OEM bolts with the springs. Good thing is I didn't notice any exhaust leaks,.. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed...until I get a chance to round up some bolts that will do the job better. Just something about that connection bothers me.
    I have an '06 WRX wagon, but I think the supplied bolts are for connecting the two sections together. They are indeed too big to fit through the downpipe flange, so like you I had to use the original spring bolts. I do intend to replace them with standard bolts when I get the chance. That might produce a better seal. I didn't have of lot of leakage, but it was enough to hear and to feel if I put my hand over the top of the connection.

The gasket supplied isn't a particularly good fit either. I'd guess it's maybe only about 1/8th wide where the two flages overlap. I'll probably end up cutting my own gasket and replacing that too when I do the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by murdock314 View Post
    i ended up just cutting around the first baffle with a dremel amd pulling the silencer tube out as far as i could. then i was able to beat the first baffle sideways with a deadblow and both pieces came out without deforming the tip at all. its a pretty crude way of removing it but after 40 minutes of trying to pull it out i didnt see any way other than destroying the part to remove it. maybe the manufacturer can send out a replacement silencer. its a pretty basic part and i dont see it costing that much to produce
    Does that mean there is a 2nd baffle? Once you cut around the first one with a dremel, the other one was able to slide up to the first one with the silencer tube? And then you knocked both baffles + the tube out?

What if the 2nd baffle is stuck too lol.... I dont want to destroy my first one only to find out I cant budge the 2nd... then what?!

Quote Originally Posted by SSSWRX04 View Post
    Does that mean there is a 2nd baffle? Once you cut around the first one with a dremel, the other one was able to slide up to the first one with the silencer tube? And then you knocked both baffles + the tube out?

What if the 2nd baffle is stuck too lol.... I dont want to destroy my first one only to find out I cant budge the 2nd... then what?!
    I'm thinking it might come out easier after a few miles...hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by myoung321 View Post
    I'm thinking it might come out easier after a few miles...hopefully
    Yeah that is what I am going to try today. I have had it on for almost a week. I have definitely driven it a bunch, driven it pretty hard in fact. I'm sure it has gotten very hot many times. Going to attempt the slide hammer again now that it is broken in, and I'll also make sure its hot when I do.

I got the silencer out!!!

2nd attempt with slide hammer = great success!!!

I don't know if its the fact that I drove around for ~4 days or that my exhaust tip might have been a little warm from driving over to the shop, but it came out!

A couple of swift hits with the slide hammer, and she's free!

And yes... taking the silencer out makes a huge difference in sound. What a beast...

Quote Originally Posted by SSSWRX04 View Post
    2nd attempt with slide hammer = great success!!!

I don't know if its the fact that I drove around for ~4 days or that my exhaust tip might have been a little warm from driving over to the shop, but it came out!

A couple of swift hits with the slide hammer, and she's free!

And yes... taking the silencer out makes a huge difference in sound. What a beast...
    Great!... So is it single baffled or dual?

too bad I don't have a slide hammer...

Seems a lot of people that received the latest shippment is having this problem. Got a mail from the seller telling me they are checking with the factory to see what happened and they will reimbursh anyone that has to take it to a muffler shop to get it cut out.. then they will send a new silencer.. Nice to know they stand by their product..