Turbo Maintanence
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Maintanence within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what is the best way to maintain/upkeep the turbo. just trying to figure out how to keep the parts on ...

Turbo Maintanence

what is the best way to maintain/upkeep the turbo. just trying to figure out how to keep the parts on the car in good working order. changing fluid and the like. what do i do ??????
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oops please would a mod put this in the right forum. sorry
    have you ever been 4 bagged ???

Get a turbo timer to cool your turbo down after driving, and use a good synthetic oil and change it regularly.

You might also consider an uppipe as this will reduce your EGT temps at the turbo.

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

I Support ClubWRX
    What does a turbo timer actually DO? Is it just a clock? I can count to 100 by myself
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    What does a turbo timer actually DO? Is it just a clock? I can count to 100 by myself
    Basically it just keeps the car running after ya pull the keys out and walk away. Some have just a simple timer, some are kinda fuzzy logic and will determine the length of cool-down depending on how hard/long you have been driving.

I have a Blitz DCC II, its one of the fancy fuzzy ones, but I don't have the TT hooked up, I use it for a boost guage, and peak hold. The WRX heat actuated siphon cooling system is supposed to take care of the cool-down issue. And I always drive nice and easy 2-3 mins before a shutdown anyways.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like a cool idea. I'd like one with a boost gauge, but I'd have no idea how to wire it up, sadly.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by jmussetter
    Get a turbo timer to cool your turbo down after driving, and use a good synthetic oil and change it regularly.

You might also consider an uppipe as this will reduce your EGT temps at the turbo.

-Jason
    Why Synthetic oil?
    Can i use Castrol 5w 30 and change it every 3K miles?
    Aspen White 2003 WRX
    COBB STG 2
    SQC #076

tan
    synthetic has higher thermal stability than conventional (takes higher heat to break down than conventional oil, much higher)

Originally posted by tan
    synthetic has higher thermal stability than conventional (takes higher heat to break down than conventional oil, much higher)
    in addition, in most turbo cars, when the oil is heated after some hard driving, and the car is shut off soon after, oil will stay in the coolant areas around the bearings in the turbo. the excess hear will cook down the oil to a grimey muck b/c the oil stops circulation when you turn the car off. this will clog and slow the truning capability of hte turbo over time.

the WRX supposedly has an improved coolant design to prevent this (according to SOA anyways) eliminating the need for a TT.

in short, run synthetic. no need for a turbo timer. if you were just crakning the car hard, and you pull into the driveway. wait a minute or two (tops) before turning off the ignition. use the minute to clean out the trash in your car, or finish listening to a good song.

dave your money for some go fast mods.

dR

Ok so synthetic should also be changed every 3k?
    Aspen White 2003 WRX
    COBB STG 2
    SQC #076

Originally posted by BlueWRX
    Ok so synthetic should also be changed every 3k?
    nope. the bottle will reccomend 7K miles b/w changes. i do 5K b/c i'm anal.

but the increased cost per qt. is easily countered by the extended oil change intervals.

dR

My first oil change is 1,000 miles away.
    What oil do you recomend?
    Aspen White 2003 WRX
    COBB STG 2
    SQC #076

Actually I change it every 5K miles not ness. because the oil is bad at that point but more because the filters are usually done at that point, and I can almost feel a dip in perfermance at around this milage.

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Originally posted by jmussetter
    Actually I change it every 5K miles not ness. because the oil is bad at that point but more because the filters are usually done at that point, and I can almost feel a dip in perfermance at around this milage.

-Jason
    it's psychological if you feel a performance change from a late oil change. trust me.

and as for your first oil, many are good. i use mobil 1, however the pennzoil (w/ pennzane) is very good also.

dR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.