Installing XS Power FMIC (Warning - HUGE PICS)

This is a discussion on Installing XS Power FMIC (Warning - HUGE PICS) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I started a thread previously on the XS Power/SSAC FMIC, but since then I have received the kit (in only ...

Installing XS Power FMIC (Warning - HUGE PICS)

I started a thread previously on the XS Power/SSAC FMIC, but since then I have received the kit (in only 3 days!) and took some big shots. Those interested and critics of this kit alike, can now get more of an understanding that this kit is a super freakin' st(d)eal for $295 shipped.

First off, packing was top-notch. Plenty of peanuts plus the core and other stuff were individually boxed. Piping was bubble wrapped also. The core (excluding endtanks) measures 25-1/2"x9-1/2"x3-1/2" exactly. XS Power is NOT sprayed on there All pieces are near TOP QUALITY IMO. Welds are smoothed down on the insides of pipes that have them and all the welds themselves are beautiful. Mandrel bends are great. Coolant reservoir is simple and well crafted. Silicone connectors are 3 or 4 ply. Mine came with the correct reducer elbow. SS Polish is above average to about great. i used mothers alum/mag polish on all pieces before taking these pics (def. reccomended as it gets rid of some left over discoloration from welding etc.). So far the only thing I don't like is the one pipe that is actually 2 pipes welded together. However, the weld on that pipe is nice.

The kit is missing a 90 degree hose piece and BOV adapter plate as well as a 2.75-2.5" reducer for throttle body. I have ordered these items relatively cheap. So figure in all the kit will cost about $350.

I will start installing the kit this weekend and post plenty of pics and explanation along the way...

02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also, I have a Perrin shortram so I have no need for the MAF housing. It's around 52mm ID and excellent quality aluminum. PM me if you want it cheap.

02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

90 degree hose
    You have that in your pics, the other things do not come with it anyway.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    You have that in your pics, the other things do not come with it anyway.
    I was referring to the hose piece to connect the stock BPV.
    Last edited by boosted scoob; 04-19-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Gotcha
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

That is one shiny IC.

I wish my TurboXS fmic was that shiny when I bought it.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Got the IC in and some piping, but I'm still waiting on the BOV adapter. Install was a total pain, but I guess that's to be expected with all FMICs. There is nothing wrong with the design per say, just keeping the fogs makes allot of extra work in cutting. For those that are curious on the best way to cut a bumper, I used a dremmel with a cutting bit (looks like a drill bit) to get the bulk cut, then used a sanding stone to do the details. The more patience you have, the better the bumper will look. Took me about 2.5 hrs to cut bumper, some undercarriage plastic, and someof the foglight housing. It is an extremely tight fit and there's a 1/2" gap on both bumper sides below the corner markers. However, I think this can be easily fixed with some extra hardware. I think the below pic looks ok, but I don't like seeing so much of the chassis around the IC...

put a black screen black screen behind it to help.

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    put a black screen black screen behind it to help.
    Sounds like a great idea - thanks. What type of black screen and where can I get it? Wouldn't that affect the condenser and radiator tho? Did you do this on yours? Do you have pics?
    Last edited by boosted scoob; 04-20-2007 at 06:39 PM.

I didn't do it myself, I have an 05 so it fits nicer, but any black screen will work. I have seen it with screen door type screen and it looks great(he had to point it out because I didn't notice).

I think it would be nice if you gave us a list of everytihng you needed to buy that the fmic didnt come with and maybe some links too.

Looks good
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    I think it would be nice if you gave us a list of everytihng you needed to buy that the fmic didnt come with and maybe some links too.

Looks good
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909584

Here is the thread I used to order the extra parts. I found WBR Performance to be the cheapest to sell the BOV adapter @$25 shipped, but I'm still waiting for it. You have to email them cause their shopping cart doesn't work. The inline reducer can be gotten from Ebay The 90 degree elbow the thread mentions doesn't quite match in color to the other couplers (if you care about that).

And this kit is definitely NOT made from Burmese soda cans

I am going TDY for 2 weeks, so upon return I should have everything I need to finish the install and post more pics!

Got the rest of the kit installed today. The hardest part by far is fitting the FMIC and cutting. Installing the piping was a sinch except the pipes that connect thru the chassis on the driver's side. The coupler is right in the center of the small opening so it makes getting to the t-clamps a pain. New overflow bottle fits nice. I took it out for a spin, but it's time for a new clutch so I couldn't really measure SOTP performance. I will say that there is no noticeable turbo lag increase. Turbo definitely spools louder than with stock TMIC. Boost tapers off more in higher rpms (from 15 to 13 with my MBC). After 20min of hard running, I got back and felt all the piping. Turbo outlet pipe was hot as was the input to the FMIC and about 1/4 of the way down the fins. Then, it felt ice cold! Except for where the piping is over the turbo before it goes into the throttlebody. I think later I'll be going with some heat wrap on that pipe. Until I get a new clutch and take her back to the track, I like how it looks and fits and it's very much easier to work in the engine bay with the TMIC gone...

Also, I have the following left over items available if anybody wants for cheap, PM me:

- stock TMIC w/ plastic piping clamps & TB connector
    - (2) 2.5" 3-4 ply hose couplers (left over from FMIC piping)
    - (2) t-bolt clamps
    - coolant overflow bottle
    - MAF housing that came with kit
    - TMIC brackets
    Last edited by boosted scoob; 05-05-2007 at 08:55 PM.